It's too hot :( - Air conditioning/ coolers

Found 22nd Jul
Hello, I wanted to ask does anyone use or recommend any air conditioner or air coolers?

I'm not looking for a fan, but the reason is my loft heats up in the summer and it's boiling in the summer almost 40!!! (Already close curtains to avoid the sun etc)

I won't be able to make any structural changes , so does anyone have any similar issues?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
Are you living in the loft ?
kester766 m ago

i presume loft conversion
Hey. My room used to be about 35C on summer days due to my computer gaming also. This was unbearable for years, and all I had was a fan. I bought a 9000BTU portable air conditioner and the temperature is now bearable between 22-26C. Maybe this is what you need, if your room is hot!
Don’t buy a coolerthey are useless. Air conditioning will do what you want but you will want one with a high BTU value to take the heat out as where you are it sounds pretty hot
We had a portable air conditioning unit. It did work well but was noisy, so no good while trying to sleep. You also need a window open to put the ducting through.
kester7632 m ago

Yes
I sleep in the loft, I don't live there directly

I don't want to use a fan,. How would the best way to be to cool the air ?
Thanks
Edited by: "MarioMan" 22nd Jul
MarioMan22 m ago

Yes I sleep in the loft, I don't live there directlyI don't want to use a …Yes I sleep in the loft, I don't live there directlyI don't want to use a fan,. How would the best way to be to cool the air ?Thanks

Buy a small tent - if its just for getting away from the heat a cheap one will do together with a cheap lilo - sleep in the garden ! Lofts / loft conversions are notorious for being really hot . Sleep in the garden - only problem is that the birds (the feathered kind) tend to rise early and make a racket !
MarioMan25 m ago

Yes I sleep in the loft, I don't live there directlyI don't want to use a …Yes I sleep in the loft, I don't live there directlyI don't want to use a fan,. How would the best way to be to cool the air ?Thanks

Normally it's an insulation problem but it has been really hot lately so not as effective. You need to exchange the air in the loft to cool it down or introduce something cold to the room. Best option is a block of ice in a bucket, should drop the temperature as it melts but more effective with a fan to blow the cool air onto yourself.
Make a hole in the roof and fit a window. Failing that air conditioning and if that’s not an option then you just have to put up with it.

appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/e…ner?
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 22nd Jul
Get a 20“ tornado floor fan, and Google "cross ventilation".
cmdr_elito16 m ago

Make a hole in the roof and fit a window. Failing that air conditioning …Make a hole in the roof and fit a window. Failing that air conditioning and if that’s not an option then you just have to put up with it.https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/eiq-9wminv/electriq-eiq9wminv-air-conditioner?

kester7629 m ago

Normally it's an insulation problem but it has been really hot lately so …Normally it's an insulation problem but it has been really hot lately so not as effective. You need to exchange the air in the loft to cool it down or introduce something cold to the room. Best option is a block of ice in a bucket, should drop the temperature as it melts but more effective with a fan to blow the cool air onto yourself.

Already have 3 Windows in the loft.

I am and thinking of getting air conditioning, but the price is too expensive £300-400 is WAY beyond my range.

Thanks for the ice bucket idea. I'll give it a try, but I don't think it will be practical
MarioMan3 m ago

Already have 3 Windows in the loft.I am and thinking of getting air …Already have 3 Windows in the loft.I am and thinking of getting air conditioning, but the price is too expensive £300-400 is WAY beyond my range. Thanks for the ice bucket idea. I'll give it a try, but I don't think it will be practical

I have one of these and it’s good.

argos.co.uk/product/4250090 I open the windows and put this one. Really moves the air around
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 22nd Jul
MarioMan11 m ago

Already have 3 Windows in the loft.I am and thinking of getting air …Already have 3 Windows in the loft.I am and thinking of getting air conditioning, but the price is too expensive £300-400 is WAY beyond my range. Thanks for the ice bucket idea. I'll give it a try, but I don't think it will be practical

It works but isn't a long term solution. You best option is velux shutters that block the heat before it hits the glass. You want the air flow but not the direct heat. It's expensive though but a good prevention method.
Think you should save your ££££, it's going to cool down in a week to 10 days. Think you just need to put up with it for a bit longer.... cheap tent in the garden is a great idea.
Hot air rises go lower.
Wait until the heat of the day has gone, then open your roof windows and also some windows downstairs. The hot air will rise through the windows and be replaced by cooler air from downstairs. You can also use a fan during this period too, directed out of the window to help this process.
kester765 h, 23 m ago

...Best option is a block of ice in a bucket, should drop the temperature …...Best option is a block of ice in a bucket, should drop the temperature as it melts but more effective with a fan to blow the cool air onto yourself.

Introducing a fan actually adds to the heat load but should provide a cooling effect to the general area in front of it.
What were you looking at spending? And do you have a way to vent out hot air
No its not to hot. To hot for working, but not to hot. People pay hundreds if not thousands of pounds to go abroad for hot weather, but we are having an amazing summer. Yes we could do with a bit of rain for the gardens, etc. But if it rained all summer people would complain.
Anyway, you can buy air con units that you just plug in for around £50-60 in asda, tesco, etc hope this helps. And lets enjoy the sun.
Get a commercial cooler for about £125 from a trade store
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants