Found 12th Oct 2009
The other day I paid £350 for a Macbook which went late at night on eBay.

Today, I get an email from the seller saying that unfortunately the laptop had been dropped by ParcelForce, but he had still sent it. He is now saying he can offer me a 'similar' laptop (Brand new and boxed) the VGN-FW48E/H.

I said I need the Macbook. Paypal is only covered up to £150.

Help. Please.

117 Comments

eh just ask for a refund

Original Poster

I have but I really dont think that's going to happen. It's definitely a scam.

whats the ebay item number?

Banned

find out what parcel force are insured for surely they will reimburse him if it was sent at all
wouldnt parcelforce contact you as you were the reciever
worth a call to parcel force

It's the seller's responsibility to ensure you receive the item you paid for.
Eventhough paypal only covers you for £150, if it's been damaged by parcelforce, it should be insured to the correct value shouldn't it?

Original Poster

Banned

seems a good price thou for replacement laptop

Original Poster

Yes definitely but the whole thing stinks of dodgyness doesnt it?

mod

If you don't want the replacement ask for a refund - if he refuses take it to a paypal dispute

refund:thumbsup:

Besides, how would ParcelForce know if it'd been broken? They're not allowed to open the packages and check. And they'd still deliver it to you, and if it was a NEW macbook he'd know that the box its in is made to withstand impact.

Original Poster

The replacement would be good, as it is worth alot, but I don't understand why he has a new and boxed Vaio, for that price. I have asked for a refund, but I doubt i'll get one. If I dispute through paypal then I am only covered to £150, so I lose £200.

Contact the seller and ask for some kind of tracking number. If he won't give you one or it's fake then get the ball rolling with a Paypal dispute and a firm but polite message to the sender explaining that you have taken action to recover your money and will go as far as police/courts.
If they give you one, call up Parcelforce for some info on the shipment. If they can confirm they damaged it and returned it to the seller, then you have less reason to worry. If they don't have any record of any such thing happening (or they say the tracking number is invalid), get tough!

Worked a treat for me when some **** tried one with me. Not a lot of feedback + no pictures of actual item = ALARM BELLS!

P.S. Don't give up and accept the loss. The seller might try ignoring you for a bit or try fobbing you off - don't take it! Persistence is the key!

Banned

claim your money back through paypal its a scam at that price
ask for tracking number for parcel force

Original Poster

I do actually have the tracking numbers, and its coming tomorrow. I am sure that I will receive a broken laptop.

Banned

i would phone police and see if they can do anything

Banned

if its broken at least you can claim 150 back and sell it as damaged for more than 200

yellowputty;6560238

The replacement would be good, as it is worth alot, but I don't … The replacement would be good, as it is worth alot, but I don't understand why he has a new and boxed Vaio, for that price. I have asked for a refund, but I doubt i'll get one. If I dispute through paypal then I am only covered to £150, so I lose £200.

Who told you your only covered to £150 :? Thats nonsense

Original Poster

eBay did, at the top.

herewego1234;6560259

i would phone police and see if they can do anything

lol....

yellowputty;6560271

eBay did, at the top.

Ebay told you that? Did you ring them?

Original Poster

Thanks all of you for replying. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. Just found a macbook screen fitting service and replacement for £98. So £450 still sounds a good price

Original Poster

grabbit;6560294

Ebay told you that? Did you ring them?

In the actual listing itself, it says pay with paypal to get £150 protection. For some items its the full amount.

yellowputty;6560301

Thanks all of you for replying. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. … Thanks all of you for replying. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. Just found a macbook screen fitting service and replacement for £98. So £450 still sounds a good price

I wouldnt pay £98 for something that is not my mistake... get ParcelForce to pay for the £98 :thumbsup:

Original Poster

I don't think that Parcelforce dropped it though.

It must have been a broken laptop which he had, and then uhhhhhhh

He has also said he will refund me, saying the paypal is "pending" but paypal refund should be immediate.

grabbit;6560268

Who told you your only covered to £150 :? Thats nonsense

Shows fully protected as well when I visit the page, I thought they'd scapped the different tiers for payment protection. The auction looks a total scam to me though, no actual pictures, unbelievable price, very low feedback and now problems on delivery...

John

Original Poster

At the top bit under the 'Payments' bit, it says "Choose PayPal for up to £150 buyer protection. See terms & conditions."

Johnmcl7;6560373

Shows fully protected as well when I visit the page, I thought they'd … Shows fully protected as well when I visit the page, I thought they'd scapped the different tiers for payment protection. The auction looks a total scam to me though, no actual pictures, unbelievable price, very low feedback and now problems on delivery...John

Shows full protection when I look at it too :?

I'd think too that paypal will have that payment on hold anyhow due to high value and his lack of feedback so the money will still be there

Also the auction says special delivery,so it would be insured

Original Poster

grabbit;6560433

Shows full protection when I look at it too :?I'd think too that paypal … Shows full protection when I look at it too :?I'd think too that paypal will have that payment on hold anyhow due to high value and his lack of feedback so the money will still be there

I so hope you are right. Why is it showing as £150 on mine :x

Banned

Who puts 100% positive feedback with only 5 feedbacks in total? lol obvious multi ID user of ebay

yellowputty;6560441

I so hope you are right. Why is it showing as £150 on mine :x

have you got a confirmed address and bank account with paypal?

mine says "Choose PayPal for up to £150 buyer protection. See terms & conditi..." btw

Original Poster

I didnt send it to a confirmed address. But I do have a confirmed address tied to the same account.

just being nosey..

please post an update when you get the parcel- remember to sign for it as [COLOR="Red"]'ITEM NOT CHECKED/ INSPECTED' [/COLOR]..

Original Poster

samwants2save;6560632

just being nosey.. please post an update when you get the parcel- … just being nosey.. please post an update when you get the parcel- remember to sign for it as [COLOR="Red"]'ITEM NOT CHECKED/ INSPECTED' [/COLOR]..

Definitely will do samwants2save, and thanks for the reminder

Original Poster

Ah someone help please!

Seller: goodeastenderz

Case type: Cancel transaction

goodeastenderz has sent you a request to cancel this transaction.

Reason for request: The seller did not provide a specific reason.
Additional information from seller: Hi there, I cannot refund money as yet because paypal have frozen funds. They say this is sometimes done when the seller my self in this instance has less than 20 transactions on ebay. So to protect the buyer which is you in this instance they sometimes freeze funds paid until the buyer receives the item paid for. But this is no longer possible due to our random accident. So we need to cancel this transaction so that I can then refund the money instantly back to you. Cheers

How would you like to respond?
I accept the seller's request to cancel this transaction.
I decline the seller's request to cancel this transaction.

yellowputty;6560640

Ah someone help please!Seller: goodeastenderz Case type: Cancel … Ah someone help please!Seller: goodeastenderz Case type: Cancel transaction goodeastenderz has sent you a request to cancel this transaction. Reason for request: The seller did not provide a specific reason. Additional information from seller: Hi there, I cannot refund money as yet because paypal have frozen funds. They say this is sometimes done when the seller my self in this instance has less than 20 transactions on ebay. So to protect the buyer which is you in this instance they sometimes freeze funds paid until the buyer receives the item paid for. But this is no longer possible due to our random accident. So we need to cancel this transaction so that I can then refund the money instantly back to you. Cheers How would you like to respond? I accept the seller's request to cancel this transaction. I decline the seller's request to cancel this transaction.

decline, decline, decline, decline

Login to paypal ans start a dispute, then there is no need to cancel the transaction

Never ever cancel a transaction without your money back :thumbsup:

faevilangel;6560656

decline, decline, decline, decline Login to paypal ans start a dispute, … decline, decline, decline, decline Login to paypal ans start a dispute, then there is no need to cancel the transactionNever ever cancel a transaction without your money back :thumbsup:

Yep, definitely decline. You won't be able to do a paypal dispute if the transaction is cancelled.

Banned

he can still issue a refund if its showing as pending he just cant withdraw

be careful

At least you know your money is safe as paypal have got a hold on it,

Makes me wonder to why he isn't asking for the item to be returned before he would issue a refund? I think he just didn't get as much as he wanted for it and it hasn't sent it at all,

Did you try the tracking number to see if it shows where it may be in the postal system?

Banned

hes sold it twice and a samsund tv for £400

250512075842 - yours

Original Poster

Good spot casparwhite. I have declined the option to cancel the transaction.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Why was the deal I just posted removed?78
    2. Foo fighters presale code.109
    3. Advice on a cheaper hand held vacuum please.33
    4. Lost snipping tool on windows 10 laptop48

See more discussions