Expired

Ive drilled through my gas pipe in kitchen :-( What should I do

Found 24th Jul
I was trying to drill a hole to fit a outside tap and have hit a gas pipe in the kitchen. My home insurance doesnt cover it :-(
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Turn off the gas
Turn off the gas. Open the windows. Call a Gas Safe engineer.
Post on the internet while your home fills with gas. That would be my first option.
25 Comments
Turn off the gas
Turn off the gas. Open the windows. Call a Gas Safe engineer.
First call a certified gas engineer to get them to come and make it safe. Secondly, buy a lottery ticket - that could have gone very wrong! Thirdly, call a plumber.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 24th Jul
As above and look on the bright side, you could be dead under a pile of burnt out rubble
qwales3 m ago

As above and look on the bright side, you could be dead under a pile of …As above and look on the bright side, you could be dead under a pile of burnt out rubble

I know I feel like a idiot I just phoned gas board and they are on the way. Probably cost a fortune but could of been very bad
Edited by: "rollercoaster63" 24th Jul
Don't have a cigarette while you consider your options As others have said call a gas safe registered engineer. This is not something to play around with.
rollercoaster637 m ago

I know I feel like a idiot I just phoned gas board and they are on the …I know I feel like a idiot I just phoned gas board and they are on the way. Probably cost a fortune but could of been very bad

The 'gas board' AKA Transco will likely just cut you off and put big danger stickers everywhere. It's a Gas Safe engineer you need - you'll still need one after the gas board have attended.
Post on the internet while your home fills with gas. That would be my first option.
I did the same drilling holes in a concrete floor to fix a carpet joiner strip in a doorway, had no idea there was a pipe there. Before you attempt the job again I would recommend buying one of these.

amazon.co.uk/Bos…lls
moob27 m ago

Post on the internet while your home fills with gas. That would be my …Post on the internet while your home fills with gas. That would be my first option.

I turned the gas off straight away
Having a gas supply into any home is always going to have risks, that is why I am glad to be all electric at times.
If your gas pipe is exposed it should be a straight forward repair - if buried in the wall then unfortunately it's going to be messy (and more expensive).
SOUTHWALES6 m ago

Having a gas supply into any home is always going to have risks, that is …Having a gas supply into any home is always going to have risks, that is why I am glad to be all electric at times.

Have a fag and Destress
Also helps to buy a metal/wood/electric detector (stud detector) before drilling holes if your a noob.
Gas mains are a menace in older properties. A friend had issue with their exposed gas main pipe in the kitchen. I've see consumer units under kitchen sinks before which always seemed a bad idea.
My OH put a screw through a gas pipe while trying to sort out a squeaky floorboard. We rang British Gas and they came and replaced part of the pipe work. No charge :
Call a Corgi who is registered to pass gas.
34474573-swIED.jpg
Gas board kindly sorted it out. Thanks
SOUTHWALES2 h, 22 m ago

Having a gas supply into any home is always going to have risks, that is …Having a gas supply into any home is always going to have risks, that is why I am glad to be all electric at times.

Until there is a power cut
psychobitchfromhell18 m ago

Until there is a power cut

I suppose I can cook on gas only (if I can find a match to light the hob) but my heating depends on electric for the controller/pump/valves etc.
rollercoaster631 h, 55 m ago

Gas board kindly sorted it out. Thanks

good news! Did you get charged? I only ask because this is the sort of thing I would do ....
Same thing happened to us. Our plumber drilled into our kitchen wall tile and hit a gas pipe behind it. He had to cut out the tile to get to the gas pipe and patch it up.
mas991 h, 35 m ago

I suppose I can cook on gas only (if I can find a match to light the hob) …I suppose I can cook on gas only (if I can find a match to light the hob) but my heating depends on electric for the controller/pump/valves etc.

Same here, but we've got a box of matches for the hob, and a gas fire with piezo ignition as a back up.

I marked on the floorboards where the water and gas pipes run, and re-ran electric cables out of reach of nails and screws where they'd been run in notches.

I remember when I was a kid, early one Sunday morning, and before Sunday trading, my dad deciding he'd had enough of the floorboards on his landing creaking and wobbling and nailing them down, right through the central heating pipes and power cables in several places despite my protests that the reason for them being left loose by the plumber was they were sat directly on the pipework with no room for nails, thankfully there were no gas pipes there at the time - I ended up repairing all the damage.
Edited by: "melted" 24th Jul
joesmum5 h, 18 m ago

good news! Did you get charged? I only ask because this is the sort of …good news! Did you get charged? I only ask because this is the sort of thing I would do ....

Luckily I knew the engineer from the gas board who came or it would of been a don’t use sticker and off he goes. It was a old gas pipe from when the house was originally built which he managed to cap off from another location. I’m very lucky really
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants