Groups

I've just had my laptop repaired but I can't seem to download MSN or Adobe etc, please help?

Basically I had a blue screen and had to take it in for repairs and the comp has been wiped clean.

I've got some prehistoric msn at the moment, which doesn't even show pics or anything and I can't seem to install a newer version or Adobe or anything, can someone please help me out?

Thanks a lot, as this is driving me bonkers.

22 Comments

Banned

Have you tried downloading the latest msn off the site? If so do you get errors when trying to install or can't you get that far etc?

Hi mate

Sounds like your not logged on as an Administrator. Its the safe way to work on your computer to be honest stops malicious code being run etc if your not logged on as an admin account.

Just phone the guy back and ask him what your admin account is, normally the default account name is Administrator, the password could be anything from not having one at all to abc123 or"password"

Go to the Control Panel and clck on User Accounts, if you cant get any further and all the options are blanked out, then your nto an admin, also if you cant install anything your not an admin, if you cant uninstall anything...again your not an admin.

Also click start, log off then try and log in as Administrator without a password, it justmight work. If not phone the dude back and get him to tell you the admin account details and how to log on, come back here if your stuck again.

Hope this helps my friend

Bes:thumbsup:

Great, that has really helped this guy out, well done!!!!:x

dcx_badass;4594635

Repeat after me. ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE … Repeat after me. ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.

also make sure your newly installed operating system is up to date...

if your running service pack 3 there are sometimes problems installing certain programs..

Original Poster

Beserker;4594144

Hi mateSounds like your not logged on as an Administrator. Its the safe … Hi mateSounds like your not logged on as an Administrator. Its the safe way to work on your computer to be honest stops malicious code being run etc if your not logged on as an admin account.Just phone the guy back and ask him what your admin account is, normally the default account name is Administrator, the password could be anything from not having one at all to abc123 or"password"Go to the Control Panel and clck on User Accounts, if you cant get any further and all the options are blanked out, then your nto an admin, also if you cant install anything your not an admin, if you cant uninstall anything...again your not an admin.Also click start, log off then try and log in as Administrator without a password, it justmight work. If not phone the dude back and get him to tell you the admin account details and how to log on, come back here if your stuck again.Hope this helps my friendBes:thumbsup:

Thank you very much, I'll try it in a bit, when I've got a moment to myself.

dcx_badass;4594635

Repeat after me. ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE … Repeat after me. ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.ADOBE IS A BRAND AND NOT THE NAME OF SOME SOFTWARE.

I know it's not but I'm trying to open up files and I can't even download Adobe, MSN, msn installer, nothing whatsoever and it's driving me crazy.

Thanks for your help. :P

Antivirus????

Original Poster

Beserker;4594144

Hi mateSounds like your not logged on as an Administrator. Its the safe … Hi mateSounds like your not logged on as an Administrator. Its the safe way to work on your computer to be honest stops malicious code being run etc if your not logged on as an admin account.Just phone the guy back and ask him what your admin account is, normally the default account name is Administrator, the password could be anything from not having one at all to abc123 or"password"Go to the Control Panel and clck on User Accounts, if you cant get any further and all the options are blanked out, then your nto an admin, also if you cant install anything your not an admin, if you cant uninstall anything...again your not an admin.Also click start, log off then try and log in as Administrator without a password, it justmight work. If not phone the dude back and get him to tell you the admin account details and how to log on, come back here if your stuck again.Hope this helps my friendBes:thumbsup:

I've tried checking it out, I get to the usernames and states "owner" and "guest" but I'm already in as the owner and I didn't need to enter any passwords...what do I do now?

dcx_badass;4597688

How can you download a brand, that's like saying I tried to download … How can you download a brand, that's like saying I tried to download Microsoft. We need to know what adobe program you are trying.

I just checkout normal sites and it says I need to install Adobe to view whatever, so click here to download but it won't allow me to install whatever version it is.

or adobe flash

Original Poster

dcx_badass;4607114

You mean Adobe Acrobat.

I think it's Adobe Reader as well as flash and everything else really, as most sites need this to operate flashing images etc.

I just can't install/upload anything on to my laptop at the moment. :-(

Original Poster

vibeone;4609580

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/You are gonna have to give us more info. WHY can't you install anything? What happens? What errors?

It just won't run...it seems to download it but then nothing happens when I click on the icon.

Banned

sounds dubious....

I could help you via remote desktop etc, but I'd take it back for more information from them. What you have described is not a security issue. You could do a few things, check Windows Installer service is running etc, but if you have paid for a repair - get it taken back

Original Poster

vibeone;4609797

sounds dubious.... I could help you via remote desktop etc, but I'd take … sounds dubious.... I could help you via remote desktop etc, but I'd take it back for more information from them. What you have described is not a security issue. You could do a few things, check Windows Installer service is running etc, but if you have paid for a repair - get it taken back

I've got basic msn installed, so remote assistance is possible but maybe I should take it back to the shop to get it sorted.

I can't even do a manufacture reboot (if that's what it's called). :-(

Banned

realfriendlyman;4609834

I've got basic msn installed, so remote assistance is possible but maybe … I've got basic msn installed, so remote assistance is possible but maybe I should take it back to the shop to get it sorted.I can't even do a manufacture reboot (if that's what it's called). :-(

take it back, its their problem, and you don't know me from adam.

Like I said, you paid for it, they provided the service, and from what you describe, it sounds pretty unwell.

Only a software issue (windows install) though, so they should be able to just format (Again) and reinstall

Original Poster

Just to let everyone know, I've had it repaired and everything works perfectly well now, so thanks for all the advice everyone has offered......I'm going to leave some people rep right now for the advice. :thumbsup:

Banned

realfriendlyman;4622619

Just to let everyone know, I've had it repaired and everything works … Just to let everyone know, I've had it repaired and everything works perfectly well now, so thanks for all the advice everyone has offered......I'm going to leave some people rep right now for the advice. :thumbsup:

Do you know what they did? (Re-install?)

I've got a problem (again) on my laptop. After trying to install XP SP3 (and failed), I now cant install some Adobe apps I want to try out. Silly thing, I know it was fine before hand as the reason I tried to install SP3 was because Adobe CS4 said it recommended installing it first. Now it wont even go as far as that.

When it failed, it did say "SP3 was uninstalled XP may not operate correctly". They wasn't kidding!

Dont want to do a fresh install, but looks like I might have to!

Banned

guv;4622853

Do you know what they did? (Re-install?)I've got a problem (again) on my … Do you know what they did? (Re-install?)I've got a problem (again) on my laptop. After trying to install XP SP3 (and failed), I now cant install some Adobe apps I want to try out. Silly thing, I know it was fine before hand as the reason I tried to install SP3 was because Adobe CS4 said it recommended installing it first. Now it wont even go as far as that. When it failed, it did say "SP3 was uninstalled XP may not operate correctly". They wasn't kidding!Dont want to do a fresh install, but looks like I might have to!

Owch.

I know the CS3 installers were a pain in the backside - "Fireworks can't install because Firefox is open" WTF?!

But I thought the CS4 stuff seemed loads and loads better. Clearly not.

I've installed Windows 7 3 times this week (as new builds leaked), so as you can tell - my advice: Fresh install!!

i got cs4 extended installed fine

Original Poster

guv;4622853

Do you know what they did? (Re-install?)I've got a problem (again) on my … Do you know what they did? (Re-install?)I've got a problem (again) on my laptop. After trying to install XP SP3 (and failed), I now cant install some Adobe apps I want to try out. Silly thing, I know it was fine before hand as the reason I tried to install SP3 was because Adobe CS4 said it recommended installing it first. Now it wont even go as far as that. When it failed, it did say "SP3 was uninstalled XP may not operate correctly". They wasn't kidding!Dont want to do a fresh install, but looks like I might have to!

He said he just updated my windows.
    It does sound like you need to reinstall it from scratch though.

Good luck mate.

Banned

realfriendlyman;4622619

Just to let everyone know, I've had it repaired and everything works … Just to let everyone know, I've had it repaired and everything works perfectly well now, so thanks for all the advice everyone has offered......I'm going to leave some people rep right now for the advice. :thumbsup:

How much did you pay someone else to reinstall windows? I'd have done it for £5 and a beer. For a close friend i'd do it for free.

Original Poster

lumoruk;4627002

How much did you pay someone else to reinstall windows? I'd have done it … How much did you pay someone else to reinstall windows? I'd have done it for £5 and a beer. For a close friend i'd do it for free.

I paid £45 to remove a virus that caused my laptop to remain on a constant blue screen and then they provided the update for free when I took it back to them yesterday.

Original Poster

I just realised I still can't manage to install Adobe Flash Player, what's wrong? :-(
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2490
      2. Asda having major issues with deliveries today22
      3. Cat Chat76733
      4. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1014

See more discussions