Expired

I've just sent a electricity meter reading and realised it's the same as the reading two months ago,

Found 18th Aug 2014
so i guess it's stopped working. How will they calculate what i've used, or will i get it for free? Should i call them and tell them or wait for them to work it out?
Community Updates
AskElectronics
18 Comments
Do you really need to ask?
The law is on the electricity companies side. They will 'estimate' you a useage and you are legally bound to pay it as you are any other bill.

They did with me. The estimation was insane also.
Banned
They may send G4S thugs around to cut you off and steal your children.
Banned
took them about 6 months to work out mine had stopped working, I wasn't charged for the electric I'd used in that time
Just tell them you've been using solar panels.
If your last reading was good, tell them you used the exact same amount of electricity. Just a coincidence.
napolimp

If your last reading was good, tell them you used the exact same amount … If your last reading was good, tell them you used the exact same amount of electricity. Just a coincidence.

That's not how the meters work..
Original Poster
Python

Just tell them you've been using solar panels.

Actually we do have solar panels, they've never affected the meter before and as much as they've done well in the last couple of months there's no way we haven't used electricity from the grid.

Obviously if i don't have to pay them back i'll keep quiet and wait, but if it's going to be a silly estimate then i'd rather contact.

Thanks for your replies

I work for Npower and we wouldn't charge you to a fictitious estimate. We just bill you the standings charge. It may get picked up at some point but If I was you I'd let the supplier work it out and then they'll contact you to arrange a meter check.
Wait and see what their reaction to the reading is. In the meantime do weekly readings to track the actual position, to see if any consumption is registering. You can see a disk rotating in the meter. Is it rotating when you know that a major appliance , oven, dishwasher or oven/hob unit ,is on.
Happened to me a few years back with my gas meter. Npower said they wouldn't charge me when I called them to report it. It was December to Feb too...saved me a bit
Same thing happened to me, I didn't realise that the meter reading was the same for the about 3 or 4 months, when I rang and told them they sent out a guy to fit a new one and I never got billed for the electricity I had used in them months.
Woody68

Actually we do have solar panels, they've never affected the meter … Actually we do have solar panels, they've never affected the meter before and as much as they've done well in the last couple of months there's no way we haven't used electricity from the grid.Obviously if i don't have to pay them back i'll keep quiet and wait, but if it's going to be a silly estimate then i'd rather contact.Thanks for your replies

I have solar panels also the bills have been a lot lower then usual a new digital meter fitted today a friend of mine his meter has been going backwards for 2 years but before he puts in his readings he turns everything on and ramps it forward so the bill comes out at about £2 a month mine didn't Boooooooo
call them to let them know and they will estimate your bill from your past use. they will then put in a new one.
Banned
We're the solar panels free??
Original Poster
sofiasar

We're the solar panels free??

No we bought those
Original Poster
kracker69

I have solar panels also the bills have been a lot lower then usual a new … I have solar panels also the bills have been a lot lower then usual a new digital meter fitted today a friend of mine his meter has been going backwards for 2 years but before he puts in his readings he turns everything on and ramps it forward so the bill comes out at about £2 a month mine didn't Boooooooo

Lucky him! My cousins does the same, unfortunately they've been unavailable when they've come to change the meter!
Woody68

Lucky him! My cousins does the same, unfortunately they've been … Lucky him! My cousins does the same, unfortunately they've been unavailable when they've come to change the meter!

British gas was gonna fine another mate of mine £20 a month i he didn't change to a digital i'm not sure if they could enforce it !
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants