Japanese knotweed?

Posted 14th OctEdited by:"zworld"
So, a house in my neighbourhood has the roots of this ( * ) and it spread to mine. It's been like this for many years and I now feel I must take action.

3308794.jpg

*|X|X
X|X|Me

This plant has now blossomed white flowers as well.

I spoke to the landlord and he said he likes the greenery and will not kill the plant. I spoke to the council's relevant team and they said that this is a civil matter as it's on a private property.

What should I do at this point ?
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
I find that attending my rentals with a shotgun under my arm sorts most problems out. Isn't Jap knot weed a notifiable pest?
Defra
I bought a plot at an old gas works in Cheltenham which had Jap Knot on the banks of the river Chelt. We removed the lot and buried it in a valley deep down in Herefordshire. Terrible stuff. talk to your local environmental health, they will place an order to get rid of it
Edited by: "HerefordCiderApples" 14th Oct
Are you able to post some clearer pictures at all?
HerefordCiderApples14/10/2019 00:40

I find that attending my rentals with a shotgun under my arm sorts most …I find that attending my rentals with a shotgun under my arm sorts most problems out. Isn't Jap knot weed a notifiable pest?DefraI bought a plot at an old gas works in Cheltenham which had Jap Knot on the banks of the river Chelt. We removed the lot and buried it in a valley deep down in Herefordshire. Terrible stuff. talk to your local environmental health, they will place an order to get rid of it

Did you use your gun .
HerefordCiderApples14/10/2019 00:40

I find that attending my rentals with a shotgun under my arm sorts most …I find that attending my rentals with a shotgun under my arm sorts most problems out. Isn't Jap knot weed a notifiable pest?DefraI bought a plot at an old gas works in Cheltenham which had Jap Knot on the banks of the river Chelt. We removed the lot and buried it in a valley deep down in Herefordshire. Terrible stuff. talk to your local environmental health, they will place an order to get rid of it

Yep, nasty stuff. Has to be disposed of in specific way due to how easily it's spreads. Call environmental health.

The roots dig right into concrete weakening the foundations - tell the landlord that he may wind up liable if it gets to the surrounding properties.
baladar14/10/2019 01:05

Yep, nasty stuff. Has to be disposed of in specific way due to how easily …Yep, nasty stuff. Has to be disposed of in specific way due to how easily it's spreads. Call environmental health.The roots dig right into concrete weakening the foundations - tell the landlord that he may wind up liable if it gets to the surrounding properties.

It's already made it's way to the surrounding properties.

*|X|X
X|X|Me

where * is the landlord with the root of the knotweed
where X are the houses it has spread to
Edited by: "zworld" 14th Oct
It’s not Japanese knotweed.

38661813.jpg

38661813.jpg

The above pictures are knotweed.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 14th Oct
As above^ your (poor quality) picture looks nothing like Japanese knotweed?
Seems mods didn't like my use of it's Latin name.

It's Mile a Minute.
It looks more like Mile A Minute - Russian Vine - Fallopia Baldschuanicum.

Once it takes hold it grows and spreads above ground like crazy. The roots are not so invasive. Only severe pruning will keep it under control.
Agree with the others. That isn't Japanese knotweed. If you don't like it just cut it back. If it is Russian vine you can treat it with glyphosate once you've cut it back, but it will keep coming back if you can't kill the original plant.
Dyslexic_Dog14/10/2019 04:21

As above^ your (poor quality) picture looks nothing like Japanese knotweed?

That's why I asked for clearer photos.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 14th Oct
Good food for Guinea pigs, the leaves tast of lemon and can be used in cooking
Here's a better pic :

38668036-E5miM.jpg
zworld14/10/2019 21:53

Here's a better pic :[Image]

Nature's own form of Karma - probably payback for all those xenophobic thoughts and sentiments.
zworld14/10/2019 21:53

Here's a better pic :[Image]

Not sure I would call that a better picture. We have waited all day and that’s the best you can do
eslick14/10/2019 22:45

Not sure I would call that a better picture. We have waited all day and …Not sure I would call that a better picture. We have waited all day and that’s the best you can do

It all depends. 'Better' is subjective
eslick14/10/2019 22:45

Not sure I would call that a better picture. We have waited all day and …Not sure I would call that a better picture. We have waited all day and that’s the best you can do

Sorry matey, I work full-time and don't get home till dark.
PR0METHEUS14/10/2019 22:07

Nature's own form of Karma - probably payback for all those xenophobic …Nature's own form of Karma - probably payback for all those xenophobic thoughts and sentiments.

STFU. If your area became a 3rd world hoe pit and a burglary hotspot , you would think the same.
Bingstroller14/10/2019 04:46

It looks more like Mile A Minute - Russian Vine - Fallopia …It looks more like Mile A Minute - Russian Vine - Fallopia Baldschuanicum.Once it takes hold it grows and spreads above ground like crazy. The roots are not so invasive. Only severe pruning will keep it under control.

I think you are right. Now, the question is how do I handle the landlord? Threaten him with legal action?
zworld14/10/2019 23:04

I think you are right. Now, the question is how do I handle the landlord? …I think you are right. Now, the question is how do I handle the landlord? Threaten him with legal action?

defo Russian vine. It isn't a notifiable plant like Japanese knotweed and, as you say, it isn't coming from your garden . I don't see that it is the problem of your landlord. Just cut it back if you don't like it.
psychobitchfromhell14/10/2019 23:20

defo Russian vine. It isn't a notifiable plant like Japanese knotweed and, …defo Russian vine. It isn't a notifiable plant like Japanese knotweed and, as you say, it isn't coming from your garden . I don't see that it is the problem of your landlord. Just cut it back if you don't like it.

But, why do I have to keep spending time and effort in cleaning up someone else's plant that he has let loose in the neighbourhood?
zworld14/10/2019 23:31

But, why do I have to keep spending time and effort in cleaning up someone …But, why do I have to keep spending time and effort in cleaning up someone else's plant that he has let loose in the neighbourhood?

but why should your landlord? They didn't let the plant loose either. If it was Japanese knotweed they would be responsible but it isnt. Take a look at your lease and see who has responsibility for the upkeep of the garden. If that is you, you have three options:cut it back, leave it be or move
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 14th Oct
psychobitchfromhell14/10/2019 23:45

but why should your landlord? They didn't let the plant loose either. If …but why should your landlord? They didn't let the plant loose either. If it was Japanese knotweed they would be responsible but it isnt. Take a look at your lease and see who has responsibility for the upkeep of the garden. If that is you, you have three options:cut it back, leave it be or move

Erm.. I own my own house.
When I mentioned "I spoke to the landlord" above, I meant I spoke to the landlord of the house where the plant has it's roots . That landlord rents the property to a bunch of people.
Edited by: "zworld" 15th Oct
Well in that case I’d agree that the landlord is an idiot who clearly doesn’t care for his/her belongings or the environment that he expects the tenants to live in/around and the surrounding neighbours. Just think if this is only the garden what must the property be like inside. You’d probably be wasting your time talking to the occupiers who may be fed up with conditions inside let alone the garden. Apart from getting other neighbours to complain too or getting environment health involved (if rats are underneath)this may be a blight that you’re going to have to suffer.
zworld15/10/2019 19:14

Erm.. I own my own house.When I mentioned "I spoke to the landlord" above, …Erm.. I own my own house.When I mentioned "I spoke to the landlord" above, I meant I spoke to the landlord of the house where the plant has it's roots . That landlord rents the property to a bunch of people.

ah right. I assumed you meant your landlord. If it is encroaching onto your garden you are entitled to cut off the overhanging branches providing you return them to the owner. Hey he'd love you to do that! Might take the hint though
Deffo not Japanese knotweed. As far as I'm aware unless it goes on to your property there's nothing you can do. If it does go on to your property you should be able to get environmental health involved.
So, what's the conclusion to this then ?
Council's environmental health came round and can'd to anything as it's a private property. The other landlord doesn't want to kill or downsize the plant.
zworld26/10/2019 14:33

So, what's the conclusion to this then ?Council's environmental health …So, what's the conclusion to this then ?Council's environmental health came round and can'd to anything as it's a private property. The other landlord doesn't want to kill or downsize the plant.

Nothing other than to keep cutting back what is coming over/into your property/boundary.
JimboParrot26/10/2019 14:35

Nothing other than to keep cutting back what is coming over/into your …Nothing other than to keep cutting back what is coming over/into your property/boundary.

But, why should I spend my time and energy to trim someone else's plant, which they can't bother to keep in shape ?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants