Found 20th Dec 2008
A few days ago I applied for the free sample of Jelly Beans that are regularly mentioned on here and I think I was succesful.
This morning I received a card from the postie which said I have an item of post which could not be delivered because the postage was short by 15p.
There is also a £1 'handling' fee, it will cost me at least £1 to park near the PO and I will use approx £1 worth of petrol to get there and back.
There is a good chance the 'item' will be the jelly beans, although obviously it could be something else.
So, if it is the jelly beans it will cost me at least £3 to collect my 'free' jelly beans!!
What would you do?

26 Comments

walk to the PO which means its only costing you £1.15 in total.

Leave it you only get about 4 Jelly Beans anyway.

Chaos

Original Poster

black gerbil1;3820038

walk to the PO which means its only costing you £1.15 in total.

Its about 4 miles away!!
Would you walk 8 miles to get a free bag of Jelly Beans?

The size of the bag is not worth that much - let the Post Office staff enjoy them

Original Poster

Chaos_Theory;3820043

Leave it you only get about 4 Jelly Beans anyway.Chaos

What if it's something important?

Collect......they're worth every penny :-D

But I don't reckon they'll be them anyway

the jelly beans fit in a letterbox

steadyeddie;3820056

What if it's something important?

You can go and ask to see the package / envelope

Original Poster

Abvance;3820063

the jelly beans fit in a letterbox

They wont deliver 'til i've paid

steadyeddie;3820047

Its about 4 miles away!!Would you walk 8 miles to get a free bag of Jelly … Its about 4 miles away!!Would you walk 8 miles to get a free bag of Jelly Beans?

yes

I've ordered them before and each time it's taken more than two weeks for them to come so could be something else, i,e a large overweight christmas card?

Original Poster

Predikuesi;3820065

You can go and ask to see the package / envelope

So I will still have to pay for parking and petrol

steadyeddie;3820087

So I will still have to pay for parking and petrol

I think you are answering your own questions to be honest

Bottom line: You either risk paying the extra or not. It's up to you.

Original Poster

Predikuesi;3820091

I think you are answering your own questions to be honest :)Bottom line: … I think you are answering your own questions to be honest :)Bottom line: You either risk paying the extra or not. It's up to you.

True.
I'll be so annoyed if it is them though:thumbsup:

steadyeddie;3820119

True. I'll be so annoyed if it is them though:thumbsup:

I doubt if it is the Jelly Beans, but it could be something equally disappointing. I bet it is a Christmas card someone did not put a stamp on.

Original Poster

Predikuesi;3820132

I doubt if it is the Jelly Beans, but it could be something equally … I doubt if it is the Jelly Beans, but it could be something equally disappointing. I bet it is a Christmas card someone did not put a stamp on.

Then i'll be even more annoyed!!
I love those jelly beans

they would easily fit through your letter box so must be something else?

snowtiger;3820213

they would easily fit through your letter box so must be something else?

think you need a re-read.

you can now pay for these on the website and get it delivered

]http//ww…674

It's not your jelly beans.

For it to be a 15p charge, it cannot be a business item, as if it was a PPI item you'd be getting charged 27p minimum since PPI either pays for the item completely or not at all, and although it could be a meter item, I'm struggling to see a connection between two prices where there's a 15p difference. What you've got waiting for you at the post office is a large christmas card sent to you with just a 2nd class stamp, which sells for 27p. A normal stamp does not cover large letters, so it should've had a large stamp on it instead, which cost 52p for a 1st class variant. First class is what the RM bumps all underpaid mail up to, so they can charge more money to the recipient.

So, yep - go fetch the item. If it's a large card, there's a fairly high chance that it's from someone that cares about you, so there might be a tenner in it too. Bonus

dxx;3820231

It's not your jelly beans.For it to be a 15p charge, it cannot be a … It's not your jelly beans.For it to be a 15p charge, it cannot be a business item, as if it was a PPI item you'd be getting charged 27p minimum since PPI either pays for the item completely or not at all, and although it could be a meter item, I'm struggling to see a connection between two prices where there's a 15p difference. What you've got waiting for you at the post office is a large christmas card sent to you with just a 2nd class stamp, which sells for 27p. A normal stamp does not cover large letters, so it should've had a large stamp on it instead, which cost 52p for a 1st class variant. First class is what the RM bumps all underpaid mail up to, so they can charge more money to the recipient.So, yep - go fetch the item. If it's a large card, there's a fairly high chance that it's from someone that cares about you, so there might be a tenner in it too. Bonus

No they surcharge all mail at 2nd class price.....2nd letter and 2nd large letter is 15p difference, so chances are this is a xmas card thats bigger than a normal letter and only has a normal 2nd class stamp on, ta-daaaa :thumbsup:

Original Poster

kungfu;3820217

you can now pay for these on the website and get it … you can now pay for these on the website and get it delivered]http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content2?catId=400046&mediaId=37000674

Did think about that option, but was worried I may not get it before Xmas.

Original Poster

dxx;3820231

It's not your jelly beans.For it to be a 15p charge, it cannot be a … It's not your jelly beans.For it to be a 15p charge, it cannot be a business item, as if it was a PPI item you'd be getting charged 27p minimum since PPI either pays for the item completely or not at all, and although it could be a meter item, I'm struggling to see a connection between two prices where there's a 15p difference. What you've got waiting for you at the post office is a large christmas card sent to you with just a 2nd class stamp, which sells for 27p. A normal stamp does not cover large letters, so it should've had a large stamp on it instead, which cost 52p for a 1st class variant. First class is what the RM bumps all underpaid mail up to, so they can charge more money to the recipient.So, yep - go fetch the item. If it's a large card, there's a fairly high chance that it's from someone that cares about you, so there might be a tenner in it too. Bonus

kungfu;3820253

No they surcharge all mail at 2nd class price.....2nd letter and 2nd … No they surcharge all mail at 2nd class price.....2nd letter and 2nd large letter is 15p difference, so chances are this is a xmas card thats bigger than a normal letter and only has a normal 2nd class stamp on, ta-daaaa :thumbsup:

Top posts guys, thanks.
Sounds like the likely answer.

kungfu;3820253

No they surcharge all mail at 2nd class price.....2nd letter and 2nd … No they surcharge all mail at 2nd class price.....2nd letter and 2nd large letter is 15p difference, so chances are this is a xmas card thats bigger than a normal letter and only has a normal 2nd class stamp on, ta-daaaa :thumbsup:

Ah, right enough :oops:

Yep - theyve been surcharging loads of underpaid christmas cards this year.

Go get it, I want to know what it is:x

This happened to me from an estate agent who never put a stamp on, cost me about £1.50 to get the details of a house I hadn't even asked for and was livid. So now for the last year or so I send them an empty envolope with no stamp on, Just to get my own back.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What is gearbest like on warranty?810
    2. Android pay set up610
    3. Best 4k tv's for gaming11
    4. Christmas presents510

See more discussions