Jet2 flights not covered by ATOL and they are hiding it!

Found 22nd Jul 2016
Flights are not covered by ATOL, not advised or stated on their website or terms and conditions. It took me 30 mins, on the 'phone for them to admit it!
They stated that it was not a requirement for flights only but agreed other companies do provide this. This was only after I was told that they just didn't send the certificate. When I insisted that when payment was taken a certificate should be sent, I was given the (true) statement.
Will not book flights with them again.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
  2. Flight
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Flight
11 Comments
I think you should make it clear that this is regarding Jet2 holidays.com and not Jet2.com because they never advertised they are ATOL protected just on thier flights.

This is obviously been the same for over 5 years: hotukdeals.com/mis…975
As far as I'm aware, ATOL protection doesn't apply to flights booked direct with an airline. You'd need to take out insurance to cover you in that instance.
There is a scheme called "Flight Plus" that offers protection - if flights & accommodation are booked through the same company (excludes direct with airline) within 24 hrs of each other.
Original Poster
Jinxi - Thomas Cook Airlines supplied me an ATOL certificate (flight only) in April this year.

joshp - I googled jet2 went to Jet2 holiday site and saw ATOL clicked on flights and until today
I did not know there was no ATOL cover, as I had been redirected to an non ATOL site. They
also did not confirm that there was no ATOL cover for 30 mins. I did not look back 5 years ago!
Well, I'm genuinely confused then - I thought ATOL protection only applies if you're booking flights & accommodation, flights and car hire, or all 3.
Just checked Thomas Cook Airlines, at the bottom of the page, under Financial Protection it states:

Not all flights offered and sold by us will be protected by the ATOL scheme. If you are buying a flight from Thomas Cook Airlines operated by Thomas Cook Airlines Ltd after 22nd November 2015 your flight will NOT be ATOL Protected. If you booked prior to 22nd November 2015 please click here for details of the protection that applies to your booking. Flights operated by other airlines may be protected by Thomas Cook Tour Operations Ltd (ATOL number 1179).
babylon5

Jinxi - Thomas Cook Airlines supplied me an ATOL certificate (flight … Jinxi - Thomas Cook Airlines supplied me an ATOL certificate (flight only) in April this year.joshp - I googled jet2 went to Jet2 holiday site and saw ATOL clicked on flights and until todayI did not know there was no ATOL cover, as I had been redirected to an non ATOL site. Theyalso did not confirm that there was no ATOL cover for 30 mins. I did not look back 5 years ago!

I understand. However I am saying that they are not advertising that they offer ATOL protection on their flights.

Nor did I say you should look back 5 years. I was merely stating that it had been like this for over 5 years. Also just FYI it only took me 30 seconds to find that info out but simply typing a few keywords into Google.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here, so to speak. If you don't believe their advertising is legal then report them.
babylon5 - Full package holidays are covered by Jet2, they email the ATOL certificate. Flights only I have never had an ATOL certificate from them. They advertise package holidays as ATOL protected but nowhere do they say flights only are ATOL protected (As far as I have ever seen).

As a matter of opinion I've never cared as Jet2 flights are so cheap that it has never bothered me to be honest. I can see why you care in the recent lowcostholidays fiasco and the Brexit result.

For Reference:
caa.co.uk/ATO…OL/

An Excerpt:
What situations does ATOL cover?

ATOL protection applies to virtually any overseas air holiday booked with a UK travel company. The law says your holiday must be protected if you book a holiday with a single travel firm that includes:

flights and accommodation (including a cruise), or
flights and car hire, or
flights, accommodation and car hire.

The scheme also applies when:

You book flights (including UK domestic flights) but do not receive your tickets immediately. This is most common with charter flights, but can also apply to discounted scheduled flights. Please note that ATOL does not apply to holidays or flights booked direct with scheduled airlines.
Your holiday involves at least one flight to or from the UK. For instance, a fly/cruise break where you travel out by ship and fly home, or a holiday in France where you travel out by Eurostar but fly home.
You book a package that includes UK domestic flights

Edited by: "super_leeds_86" 22nd Jul 2016
I have got an ATOL certificate for flights and accommodation with Jet2 holidays.
ive booked with jet2 holidays for next year..does this mean we arent atol protected .
cookiedoo54

ive booked with jet2 holidays for next year..does this mean we arent atol … ive booked with jet2 holidays for next year..does this mean we arent atol protected .

If you've booked a package through Jet2holidays you'll be ATOL protected. Jet2holidays hold the license (number 9618). The OP has booked flights only via Jet2, which is a sister company of Jet2holidays and doesn't hold an ATOL license.
Jinxi

If you've booked a package through Jet2holidays you'll be ATOL protected. … If you've booked a package through Jet2holidays you'll be ATOL protected. Jet2holidays hold the license (number 9618). The OP has booked flights only via Jet2, which is a sister company of Jet2holidays and doesn't hold an ATOL license.

​thanks for the reply jinxi
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants