JJB Gym's price negotiation

Found 14th Sep 2008
The new JJB gym is opening near me on the 22nd September & I would love to join but it is more expensive than another not far away from it.

JJB is £330 for the year for peak times which you get the gym, pool classes & sauna.

The other gym is a leisure centre which have had a very nice brand new gym & changing rooms fitted recently.

It costs £360 for the year but you get 6 months for free as well.

So JJB works out at about £7.50 extra each month & the only real bonus is that it has the steam room & also the pool is open for a longer time, although this wouldnt affect me.

It isnt loads different each month but it works out about £135 extra over an 18 month period which on a low paying sunday job & being in college 5 days a week is money I would rather not part with.

The only reason I'm looking at JJB is that some friends are joining soon & the gym has slightly better free weights.

If I phoned up the number on their website do you think they would negotiate at all on their prices as I have heard people say that when they want to fill memberships they will do deals if you join.

I wouldnt want if for £20 a month but somewhere between that & full price.

Is there any hope?

Cheers
James

18 Comments

I pay £160 @ my gym unlimited use, free pool too. each year (prices gone up ), some people get it @ £99.

yes im aware what I have just said does not help you in anyway.

It could be worth a go.

Just mention that you are a student and you will reccomend it to all your friends ect.

people that work for local government get 30% discount

Banned

black gerbil1;2969373

I pay £160 @ my gym unlimited use, free pool too. each year (prices gone … I pay £160 @ my gym unlimited use, free pool too. each year (prices gone up ), some people get it @ £99.yes im aware what I have just said does not help you in anyway.

Great price - where is that?

These places are popping up now (£15-£17 a month) fitspacegyms.co.uk/?gc…oDA

i paid 5 quid for a year membership to my gym, but it only has like 2 treadmills rowing machine stepper and some weights :P

when i used to be a member @ my local gym i got it for £17.50 per month as i worked for the nhs it should of cost £30/£40 pm

i never really used it thou and gave it up after a year i wished i still had it now thou for the spa treatments(got a percentage off for being a gym member)

Original Poster

Yeah it''s expensive.

We only have leisure centres, which are £20 & £33 a month, but you have to pay everything up front, cannons, which was £32 a month & JJB whihc worked out about £27.50.

There are some Bodybuilding gyms which are all around £24 a month & would be better for what I want to do but I owuld like the pool as well which I wouldnt get with them

ilovepink;2969527

when i used to be a member @ my local gym i got it for £17.50 per month … when i used to be a member @ my local gym i got it for £17.50 per month as i worked for the nhs it should of cost £30/£40 pmi never really used it thou and gave it up after a year i wished i still had it now thou for the spa treatments(got a percentage off for being a gym member)

Would you mind saying what gym it was? I'm going to be working for the NHS soon and was hoping to find a gym willing to a discount!

Thanks

moody;3021288

Would you mind saying what gym it was? I'm going to be working for the … Would you mind saying what gym it was? I'm going to be working for the NHS soon and was hoping to find a gym willing to a discount!Thanks

This will vary according to the area and Trust you work for. The local PCT has a cheap (well its free) scheme with the Council, the hospital trust doesn't offer you anything.

There is also a discount scheme open to every NHS employee ([url]www.nhsdiscounts.com[/url]) and you can get MS office for £18.....

I have a sports centre near me and off peak for students for a whole year is like £75 which includes off peak gym access all day access to swimming pool and reduced rates on sports classes.

I get the benefit of free gym use, that includes the swimming pool and all classes that they may do including for example boxing, Tae Kwondo, Circuits etc

I don't go though because i'm lazy

Banned

I pay £45 a month and my gym has no pool, showers nothing. Just weights

£360 for a year is nothing really

Supermod

kcnw9;3021495

I pay £45 a month and my gym has no pool, showers nothing. Just … I pay £45 a month and my gym has no pool, showers nothing. Just weights£360 for a year is nothing really

£45 a month!? Wow...

Banned

magicjay1986;3021516

£45 a month!? Wow...

Aint that bad, Virgin active near me is like £50 for student.

kcnw9;3021495

I pay £45 a month and my gym has no pool, showers nothing. Just … I pay £45 a month and my gym has no pool, showers nothing. Just weights£360 for a year is nothing really

You really should look to move gyms!

you say your a student, doesnt your college/uni have a gym that you could use?? the gym at my old uni was open everyday til really late and cost £20 a year.

Banned

The JFK;3021520

You really should look to move gyms!

Most gyms near me only go up to 40 kilo dumbbell, my gym does 60. Theres a golds gym i can go to but thats £35 a month. Would cost me the extra tenner getting there.

Original Poster

College has one but its **** to be honest, I went down on Saturday & signed up for JJB, didnt have to pay a joining fee as I was a student & it's costing £30 a month. At least I know I will be getting a decent Gym & I get the pool as well.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Battered women won't be chased for TV licence fees: Vulnerable victims at r…99
    2. Quidco Highest Cashback Guarantee - Quidco will double the difference if yo…23
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771816
    4. Without saying how old you are, Name one thing from your childhood someone …2748

See more discussions