Found 23rd Apr 2008
ive got a job interview tomorrow with a big firm in London that would be a great opportunity for me! Would love it if I got the position. But im really nervous about the interview, dont know how to prepare at all

does anybody have any tips or answers I can expect and any suggested answers

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
27 Comments

Good luck and i am sure you will get it

does anybody have any tips or answers I can expect and any suggested … does anybody have any tips or answers I can expect and any suggested answers

Take your time and think through the answer before you speak. hehe
Sometimes by repeating the question back to them before answering can buy you time.
Have you see the fish4jobs adverts on tv? They're pretty helpful!

Well, good luck to you, just be yourself.....

Good luck

you know i was given job interview training by my personel dept and they told me a small piece of chocolate shortly before gives you an endorphine rush, it was the strangest tip i ever heard lol.
Try and have a question or two to ask them at the end as they nearly always ask if you have any questions. It shows an interest in the company
Good luck

Dont just give one word answers - yes, no, maybe.

Try to answer any question with an intelligent answer.

If they ask you what your hobbies are, or your outside interests, dont just say "watching TV".

Try to think any hobbies or interests that show you in a good light - perhaps some sort of leadership role.

They may ask you if you have any questions. Try to think of some intelligent questions, to show you have thought about the job - ask them about training, maybe more about what the company does or what you may be expected to do.

Companies wants to emply bright, alert, intelligent people so make yourself appear like that.

Original Poster

bellabonkers;1954432

you know i was given job interview training by my personel dept and they … you know i was given job interview training by my personel dept and they told me a small piece of chocolate shortly before gives you an endorphine rush, it was the strangest tip i ever heard lol.Try and have a question or two to ask them at the end as they nearly always ask if you have any questions. It shows an interest in the company :)Good luck

any tips on questions to ask them? Ive been told not to ask about the wage because it shows your only motivation is money!!

Best of luck!

Imagine the job interviewer in a ballerinas costume or even completely naked ! :w00t:
while they are talking to you & remember to smile. lol

[LEFT]http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/20325.jpg

GOOD LUCK ...........[/LEFT]

roryk83;1954477

any tips on questions to ask them? Ive been told not to ask about the … any tips on questions to ask them? Ive been told not to ask about the wage because it shows your only motivation is money!!

Again search the web for "asking questions at job interviews"

I found this

career.vt.edu/job…htm

I dont know what you can ask them as i have no idea what company it is or what your job is going to involve. Try and do a little research on the company via google or something. You could ask what sort of training opportunities you might be given in order to progress with the company. Or you could ask where they see the company in 5 yrs time (after all i get asked where i see myself in the future all the time lol)

Good luck to you!

You could ask if there are opportunities to do training for a different department or similar. It will say to them you are keen to stay with the company and work your way up! (If you want to do that of course!)

Other than that, be yourself and SMILE! :-D

You say they are a big firm.

Go to their web site and see more about what they do.

Try to see the full scope of the company, maybe if they work in other areas apart from the one you are going to the interview for.

The more you know about the company as a whole the more you can appear aware at the interview.

Original Poster

it is a big firm but their website is under construction. I have managed to discover what areas they operate in though

Like mentioned before, research the company - it shows you have made an effort. Any questions that arise while you're researching jot down to ask at the interview. Make sure you are polite (it's amazing the amount of people who are not!) and try not to be nervous - interviewers get nervous too sometimes (trust me;-)). Above all, if you are not good at blagging - don't! You could end up looking a right fool. Better to be honest.

Good Luck & go get your job:thumbsup:

guilbert53;1954549

You say they are a big firm.Go to their web site and see more about what … You say they are a big firm.Go to their web site and see more about what they do.Try to see the full scope of the company, maybe if they work in other areas apart from the one you are going to the interview for. The more you know about the company as a whole the more you can appear aware at the interview.

I think this is a good idea, even if the information isn't entirely relevent to the position you are applying for it will look good that you've taken some time to actually read up on the company. If you are asked about any aspects of the company or any other information you are unsure of, I would be honest and say you don't know and perhaps ask the question back to show interest. If you try and get by making up answers, I don't think it looks that good.

With regards to being nervous that's entirely normal for many people attending interviews, personally I've found that when I'm nervous I tend to speak far too quickly so during interviews I'm always thinking to myself to think clearly before starting to speak and then when I answer I try to speak slower and more deliberately to give a clear response. If asked I usually admit I'm a bit nervous (well it's blatantly obvious anyway!) because I'm very keen on the job.

Good luck with the interview, try to bear in mind that if nothing else it's good experience - there's quite a few jobs I haven't been able to get past the interview for but on the other hand I did take away useful experience on interviews and I definitely feel it's something I've improved on over the last few years.

John

You're not giving any clues about the job, so it's difficult to help you. I'll give you one useful tip I've used several times.
Last question: 'Do you have any reservations about my ability to do this job?'
This gives you an opportunity to address any issues, helps them imagine you in the job, and gives you some clues to how well you have done.
Also remember, they will be thinking:
Can he do the job?
Will he do the job?
Will he fit in?
If you can tick all those boxes, you should be ahead of the game.
Oh, and ask how many other applicants there are.

Original Poster

backtothecaves;1954701

You're not giving any clues about the job, so it's difficult to help you. … You're not giving any clues about the job, so it's difficult to help you. I'll give you one useful tip I've used several times.Last question: 'Do you have any reservations about my ability to do this job?'This gives you an opportunity to address any issues, helps them imagine you in the job, and gives you some clues to how well you have done.Also remember, they will be thinking:Can he do the job?Will he do the job?Will he fit in?If you can tick all those boxes, you should be ahead of the game.Oh, and ask how many other applicants there are.

great tip - thanks

try not to say um too much

good luck for tomorrow

Good luck for tomorrow, wil be thinking of you

How'd you get on then??

Yeah, come on we are all waiting to hear how it went?

Original Poster

went well - didnt fluff any answers or anything like that

bad news is that they take 3 people on as a trial and the best one gets the job - the trial is a week long and would mean i would have to stay in a hotel for a week (expensive) and book the week as holiday from my current job as I cant afford to lose that and not be offered the London position...

mind you i havnt even been told that they want me on the trial yet - i find out friday so will let you know how it goes

Well done!! :thumbsup:

Surely they would pay your expenses, can't believe they would expect you to fork out for accommodation and travel from your own pocket!

Good luck for Friday and please let us know.

Original Poster

they got back to me today - im one of 3 finalists that they want to take on a 3 -5 trial where i would work in the job and they would see if they like me. I am quite happy so far as there was over 300 applicants and only ten people got an interview

need to get the time off my current job first though
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56530
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle56
    3. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)44
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…22

See more discussions