Job Question - Bit random but any Train Conductors on here?!

Found 5th Jan 2016
Hi All,

I wont attempt to bore with all the details but i've worked within local government for the past 17 years, my role is a Housing Management Officer within Social Housing, it is very customer focussed and we deal with difficult situations requiring swift problem solving on a daily basis.

After much thought, i'm wanting to look at other careers that I could hopefully transfer my skills into and "Train Conductor" has come up on several occasions during discussions with friends.

My current pay is £25k per year and due to mortgage, kids, etc, I need to be looking for a new job around that similar pay - and once again Train Conductor appears to be in that region.

After abit of research the job does look like something i'd be interested in, it also seems to be quite a popular job with many people who are already in the role speaking positively about it.

Id love to hear from any Train Conductors if possible about their experiences of the job.

Do the jobs become available often?
Is there decent security in the role?
Would any existing Train Conductors recommend working for Northern Rail?

I live very near to the Leeds/Sheffield line - so I have set up an alert with "Northern Rail" for any vacancies.

To be honest any advice at all would be great. Many Thanks Nick
Community Updates
AskTrain
15 Comments

My current pay is £25k per year and due to mortgage, kids, etc, I need to … My current pay is £25k per year and due to mortgage, kids, etc, I need to be looking for a new job around that similar pay - and once again Train Conductor appears to be in that region.

if train conductor pays the same as what you are getting now then why are you looking to change?
train conductor will be working shifts on unsociable hours so this will not be an advantage with having kids over your current job?

Hi Mutley - the most honest answer i can give you is that my current job has become so unpleasant and stressful that i have made a conscious decision i need to get out and do something new.
There are no doubt some benefits in my current job, such as not working shifts and the 35 days leave and flexi days - but working these days for local authority is truly rock bottom. There has been so many cuts to services that basically 5 staff are now doing the work levels that say for example 10 staff members did a few years ago. This tied in with the fact that many staff workers are under lots of stress daily makes it a very unpleasant environment, everyone aggressive with each other..... then when you go out onto the estates you get plenty of conflict from the tenants, so every day seems to be a pressure cooker - not nice at all.

mutley1

if train conductor pays the same as what you are getting now then why are … if train conductor pays the same as what you are getting now then why are you looking to change?train conductor will be working shifts on unsociable hours so this will not be an advantage with having kids over your current job?

Edited by: "nick1981" 5th Jan 2016
nick1981

Hi Mutley - the most honest answer i can give you is that my current job … Hi Mutley - the most honest answer i can give you is that my current job has become so unpleasant and stressful that i have made a conscious decision i need to get out and do something new.There are no doubt so benefits in my current job such as not working shifts and the good leave enttilement and flexi - but working these days for local authority is truly rock bottom. There has been so much cuts to services that basically 5 staff are now doing the work levels that say for example 10 staff members did a few years ago. This tied in with the fact that many staff workers are under lots of stress daily makes it a very unpleasant environment to be in on a daily basis.[quote=mutley1][quote=] My current pay is £25k per year and due to mortgage, kids, etc, I need to be looking for a new job around that similar pay - and once again Train Conductor appears to be in that region.

then why limit yourself to a particular job? what's so great about being a train conductor? why not write to train companies and ask if they have vacancies in their company. there are so many jobs available with a train company other than train conductor.

for example, if you want to be on the train, you'd be better off applying to the train driver as the pay will be more. there are also revenue inspectors, platform staff. i have seen platform staff positions advertised through the council's website for job vacancies and they pay decent pay for a platform manager.
there are also route planners who earn decent pay believe it or not. they plan the train routes. i had a tenant who worked for network rail doing just this at their head office.

there are also signallers, the list probably goes on and on....
Edited by: "mutley1" 5th Jan 2016

Yea i have seen the route planners they also look decent (thanks for the advice).
I've done a little research thats all and conductor gets alot of good reports from people already in the profession - i'm looking to try and find something that doesn't quite involve the direct conflict on a daily basis (which I do get at the moment). I have no doubt a conductor will get the bouts of trouble such as drunk customers, difficult football fans etc - but I assure you that cant be a patch on dealing with such as evictions or some of the many challenging neighbour complaints we handle.

mutley1

there are also route planners who earn decent pay believe it or not. … there are also route planners who earn decent pay believe it or not. they plan the train routes. i had a tenant who worked for network rail doing just this at their head office.

Edited by: "nick1981" 5th Jan 2016
Do you like to spend several days a year on strike? If so a job in the railway industry is right up your street!
nick1981

Yea i have seen the route planners they also look decent (thanks for the … Yea i have seen the route planners they also look decent (thanks for the advice).I've done a little research thats all and conductor gets alot of good reports from people already in the profession - i'm looking to try and find something that doesn't quite involve the direct conflict on a daily basis (which I do get at the moment). I have no doubt a conductor will get the bouts of trouble such as drunk customers, difficult football fans etc - but I assure you that cant be a patch on dealing with such as evictions or some of the many challenging neighbour complaints we handle.

if you want to avoid conflict then train driver will be better as you don't have to speak to passengers and they get paid a lot more than train conductors. if you don't want to think too much on the job like the drivers or the planners then the platform staff could also be an alternative to train conductor.

best to widen your search and not restrict yourself to one particular role as this will increase your chance of getting out of your unpleasant job. unless you have an obsession with being a train conductor like some people just want to be an air stewardess.
i work shifts and many retiring colleagues comment how glad they are that they were in a job that allowed them to spend quality time with the kids
it's unsociable at times (e.g. xmas night, boxing night this year) and you miss weekend stuff sometimes (BBQs etc) scheduled when 9to5ers are off, but you get so much other valuable time off. it's so refreshing being unshackled from a 9 to 5 for myself and many others, that it's absolutely a major plus depending on your feelings about shifts and existing commitments

Hey man thanks for this info/advice. Cutting away from the standard 9 to 5 is also something that appeals to me as long as there is some level of family / work balance.

DennisG

i work shifts and many retiring colleagues comment how glad they are that … i work shifts and many retiring colleagues comment how glad they are that they were in a job that allowed them to spend quality time with the kidsit's unsociable at times (e.g. xmas night, boxing night this year) and you miss weekend stuff sometimes (BBQs etc) scheduled when 9to5ers are off, but you get so much other valuable time off. it's so refreshing being unshackled from a 9 to 5 for myself and many others, that it's absolutely a major plus depending on your feelings about shifts and existing commitments

Go and have a look at the jobs forum section on this site: railforums.co.uk

I'm a train driver and it's a fantastic job, well paid and secure. With regards to conductors/guards, your best bet in your area would be Northern Rail or Transpennine Express. Both companies advertise on their websites as and when vacancies arise. Loads of benefits but the only downside is the shift work which most people don't appreciate. You might be starting at 5 am one week and the following week be on late turns that start at 5pm and finish at 2am. Once you get used to the shifts, it's a decent job.

Edited by: "t_kaay" 5th Jan 2016
our shifts are set in stone, there's a repeating pattern so there is some ability to plan, which i love. obviously it varies with each job so if you do get hold of someone in a very similar role, check how their rota is done, what flexibility there is, if there's allowance for overtime (or time off in lieu e.g. if you work extra when the kids are busy, can you earn back a day during the summer etc)
it may take some getting used to for you and the family, but i'm sure you'll eventually get used to it and start loving the random tuesdays off etc!
Mutley you seem a tad obsessed, what have you got against train conductors?
Argoj

Mutley you seem a tad obsessed, what have you got against train … Mutley you seem a tad obsessed, what have you got against train conductors?

It's what they've got against him
I applied for a Train Manager job with Virgin Trains a good number of years ago. The interviews were in York and the position was to be based from Leeds. The job sounded great and the interview process involved team activities and psychometric tests, along with a one-to-one interview. I was the only candidate there who wasn't already working for Virgin Trains (the rest were trolley dollies). I think the job would be an interesting one. I wish you all the best.
mutley1

if train conductor pays the same as what you are getting now then why are … if train conductor pays the same as what you are getting now then why are you looking to change?train conductor will be working shifts on unsociable hours so this will not be an advantage with having kids over your current job?

I work shifts, and I get a lot more quality time with my family. Shift work isn't all bad - don't get me wrong, it's certainly not all great, but if you get a decent shift pattern it can actually work really well.

Working 9-5 I'd miss out on walking the kids to school, their happy little faces and big hugs when they finish. I'd see them for just 2 hours between me getting home and them going to bed, and the mrs would always be tired as she's had a busy day. Now i get full afternoons with the kids, trips out and quality time with the wife, i get to go shopping when there's no queues, i don't really get stuck in any traffic and i get a big bonus in my pay for it too.

Don't just write shift work off, it really has a lot of perks!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants