Job Search Advice, Administration

Found 8th Feb
Recently looking to switch my job, looking for a adminstration sort of role and from my last two interviews the consensus is they feel as from my last jobs and way I speak Im more IT related, and not showing more admin related talk,

Im not really sure how to swing how I am suited to a admin role rather then them thinking im only intrested in computers, any advice?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Talk about admin and not computers.
Original Poster
666FU8th Feb

Talk about admin and not computers.

How do you talk about admin?, I like sitting at home filling in excel spreadsheets?

Not really sure how
whelan1895 m ago

How do you talk about admin?, I like sitting at home filling in excel …How do you talk about admin?, I like sitting at home filling in excel spreadsheets? Not really sure how

Do you not have any admin experience? Filling in spreadsheets would be classed as data entry. Maybe look for a data entry job.

Look on the internet for tips.
whelan18934 m ago

How do you talk about admin?, I like sitting at home filling in excel …How do you talk about admin?, I like sitting at home filling in excel spreadsheets? Not really sure how

Try warehousing admin roles. I know I prefer those coming from an IT background than admin background. Or look up the likes of WMS Systems Admin style role where your background certainly is more suited.
Admin can cover quite a broad spectrum , what exactly interests you about the field to make you move into it? Normally you can work out what key skills you need for the new role from the job advert and then you just have to sell the experience you have to make it fit the new job . So for example admin quite often needs a really organised person , who has good attention to detail and can work independently but also take instruction from others . I would expect you to also demonstrate solid communication skills , not just written but also verbally . Being able to prioritise tasks and multitask are also key skills .

So your key would be to find out what skills they are looking for and then give examples of how you currently utilise those skills and how they are transferable to the new role . Next you need to show not so much why you are leaving IT but why your heart lies in admin .

For example, " currently the work I undertake requires me to be very precise in logging computer errors so they can be investigated , I can use this attention to details to ensure any records that I make will be correct and sufficiently detailed ." I don't know exactly what you currently do , or the type of roles you are applying for , but you really have to sell your qualities at any interview , so researching the company and role will really help .
were you talking a lot of geek speak and so putting them off?

i work in IT and i see a lot of geeks around who speak geek language. were you trying to impress them by explaining something that goes well over their head?

people need to think that not only will you be able to do the job, they can also get on with you as a colleague and work with you, so you need to give them the impression that you will fit into the team and not be the odd one out.
whelan1891 h, 49 m ago

Try talking about using word documents, email, answering phones, diary support, arranging meetings etc not excel spreadsheets.
Diary support is more PA type role but these are often labelled as department admin.
What is it that makes you think you would be suited to an admin role? Be aware it can be extremely tedious. Start with why you want to work in admin, what admin role you want and then try and match your skill set to that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants