Job seekers - Who's out of work?

33 replies
Found 28th Jan 2009
I was just wondering how long the average person is out of work for at the moment.

My DH lost his job in August and got a short term contract a couple of weeks ago. He was out for just over 4 months. He is to start a Permanent Job in February - as you can imagine we are delighted.

Wishing all you job seekers lots and lots of luck

33 Comments

Well done on the new permanent job for your OH :-D

I was out of work for 3 months after my degree finished in July. Was contacting many companies a day, only got 1 interview in that whole time but luckily i got it.

Titchimp;4210859

I was out of work for 3 months after my degree finished in July. Was … I was out of work for 3 months after my degree finished in July. Was contacting many companies a day, only got 1 interview in that whole time but luckily i got it.

AND? WHAT DO YOU DO?

raptorcigs;4210911

AND? WHAT DO YOU DO?

your loud, so what do you do , im a lorry driver, and out of work as a lot of companies down here are closing down the logistics side

Original Poster

Titchimp;4210859

I was out of work for 3 months after my degree finished in July. Was … I was out of work for 3 months after my degree finished in July. Was contacting many companies a day, only got 1 interview in that whole time but luckily i got it.

Did you go for your interview looking like that? lol

raptorcigs;4210911

AND? WHAT DO YOU DO?

i sit on here all day :-D

But my title is "Marketing campaign co-ordinator"

Original Poster

wickedteen;4210935

your loud, so what do you do , im a lorry driver, and out of work as a … your loud, so what do you do , im a lorry driver, and out of work as a lot of companies down here are closing down the logistics side

good luck - a mate here in London tried telling me a month ago, that there were lots of driving jobs.... I wouldn't be surprised if he was talking rubbish!

Good luck on your job search

wickedteen;4210935

your loud, so what do you do , im a lorry driver, and out of work as a … your loud, so what do you do , im a lorry driver, and out of work as a lot of companies down here are closing down the logistics side

YEA IM LOUD IM RAPTORCIGS IM A CRIP:w00t:

Never a Blood packing heat when you need one, is there?

Was made redundant in December after being in work for 3 months.... :x prior to that I was unemployed for 18 months... it's unbelievabley hard to find work right now. I've been willing to drop my salary by £10k, still no joy! :cry:

Good Luck to all those that are job hunting at the mo :thumbsup:

My hubby is out of work and so am i, i am a full time mum but im currently looking for work as is my hubby.....he was full time in a kitchen but the hours went from 40 to 10 as their was no work, so couldnt qualify for any help from tax credits.
As he was ummin and arrin about his job, the owner of the place let go of several staff. This was end of November we both looking for full time work currently.

Glad to hear your OH has a job as i know how hard it is to find one :-)

i bet the migrants arent out of work, oops did i say that out aloud

wickedteen;4213411

i bet the migrants arent out of work, oops did i say that out aloud

They are leaving now. Things should pick up soon.

Original Poster

Miss Money Penny;4211428

Was made redundant in December after being in work for 3 months.... :x … Was made redundant in December after being in work for 3 months.... :x prior to that I was unemployed for 18 months... it's unbelievabley hard to find work right now. I've been willing to drop my salary by £10k, still no joy! :cry:Good Luck to all those that are job hunting at the mo :thumbsup:

Wow - 18months must have been very hard - my DH has also dropped his rate considerably! It's got to be done. Fingers crossed for you too!

Original Poster

amcol;4211458

My hubby is out of work and so am i, i am a full time mum but im … My hubby is out of work and so am i, i am a full time mum but im currently looking for work as is my hubby.....he was full time in a kitchen but the hours went from 40 to 10 as their was no work, so couldnt qualify for any help from tax credits. As he was ummin and arrin about his job, the owner of the place let go of several staff. This was end of November we both looking for full time work currently.Glad to hear your OH has a job as i know how hard it is to find one :-)

My goodness me you must be stressed - I hope you are 'managing' ok. As a mum of 2 I know the stresses of feeding the family... I was managing OK luckily as we HAD savings - spent them now though.

I am a child minder, it's an easy profession to get into. I serve the local school - and I am actually getting alot of enquiries the last few weeks. Something you could consider with your LO's?

I would but unfortunatly there is 2 childminders down my street already, one being next door neighbour.

It is a nightmare with 5 kids and then 2 dogs as well but hoping to get through it ok, not to bad as we get our rent and council tax paid for which is ok, but i want to pay them myself if that makes sense although a mad theory.

Im constantly working out healthy cheap meals to feed us all as im on slimming world diet to so try to fit it all in, although not to bad as slimming world you eat the normal foods etc but just healthily eat. I just applied for 2 jobs yesterday, can hope and pray i get somewhere with them, but feel as i have been a full time mum to my kids which 2 of have special needs who needed at the time lots of full time care, i havent had a job so looks bad on my part but its not through not wanting to, its due to children and my long term depression i have had.

Well done to your OH

I lost my job at the start of September and was miserable the whole time, I have never been out of work since I left college. I was offered a job last week, just waiting for a start date :-D

Me. urghh going to the Borough Council this Friday. Oh Joy! Had such a great job in Australia now I'm back in the UK.

I was unemployed from June - October last year. Only ever got 2 interviews because I had no experience, now I'm getting moved into the Sky.com section of Sky which is apparently a really good thing according to other advisors

I've been unemployed since I graduated from Uni. Was offered a job 2 months ago with the police and finally have had my job confirmation today so I will be starting soon. Woop!

Im a single mum (2 boys), luckily, I have 3 jobs, none of which pay well, but keeps the food on the table! My brother and sister were both made redundant recently, one just before Christmas, one just before the new year. My sisters found somewhere a couple of hours a week, but they're both finding it really hard to find a job at the moment

Original Poster

amcol;4216045

I would but unfortunatly there is 2 childminders down my street already, … I would but unfortunatly there is 2 childminders down my street already, one being next door neighbour. It is a nightmare with 5 kids and then 2 dogs as well but hoping to get through it ok, not to bad as we get our rent and council tax paid for which is ok, but i want to pay them myself if that makes sense although a mad theory.Im constantly working out healthy cheap meals to feed us all as im on slimming world diet to so try to fit it all in, although not to bad as slimming world you eat the normal foods etc but just healthily eat. I just applied for 2 jobs yesterday, can hope and pray i get somewhere with them, but feel as i have been a full time mum to my kids which 2 of have special needs who needed at the time lots of full time care, i havent had a job so looks bad on my part but its not through not wanting to, its due to children and my long term depression i have had.

Crikey - I know you don't want sympathy - but you must be ruddy knackered with 5 kids - lol (I'm one of 5 myself) TBH I wonder if it's in your interest to go to work!

I did Slimming World years ago - I can't stick to anything at the mo! Good luck to you

Banned

angelfairee;4216563

I've been unemployed since I graduated from Uni. Was offered a job 2 … I've been unemployed since I graduated from Uni. Was offered a job 2 months ago with the police and finally have had my job confirmation today so I will be starting soon. Woop!

You gonna be a rozzer?

Original Poster

fireheaven;4216254

I lost my job at the start of September and was miserable the whole time, … I lost my job at the start of September and was miserable the whole time, I have never been out of work since I left college. I was offered a job last week, just waiting for a start date :-D

Yay good on you! Good luck in your new post:)

angelfairee;4216563

I've been unemployed since I graduated from Uni. Was offered a job 2 … I've been unemployed since I graduated from Uni. Was offered a job 2 months ago with the police and finally have had my job confirmation today so I will be starting soon. Woop!

Good for you hun :thumbsup:

Banned

angelfairee;4216563

Fast track officer? What force?

Original Poster

Robotochan;4216280

I was unemployed from June - October last year. Only ever got 2 … I was unemployed from June - October last year. Only ever got 2 interviews because I had no experience, now I'm getting moved into the Sky.com section of Sky which is apparently a really good thing according to other advisors

I have always found that it's easier to get the job you want when you are already employed. I hope your move is a good one! I was always head hunted in my previous roles

Original Poster

angelfairee;4216563

Yay - My first job was with the police too - for 11 years! Good luck!

Original Poster

chryssie;4216573

Im a single mum (2 boys), luckily, I have 3 jobs, none of which pay well, … Im a single mum (2 boys), luckily, I have 3 jobs, none of which pay well, but keeps the food on the table! My brother and sister were both made redundant recently, one just before Christmas, one just before the new year. My sisters found somewhere a couple of hours a week, but they're both finding it really hard to find a job at the moment

Sounds like you are doing as much as you can to bring in a wage. It certainly is the roof over your head and food on the table that really matters. I've lived off 2nd hand clothes for years as a child, and I don't mind doing it again if I need to

I bet some of you ladies could give me some tips on saving money when it comes to food shopping - I'm not very good at it (or cooking)

Original Poster

lumoruk;4216642

Just trying to read where you got fast track officer from!

Banned

Butterflies;4216699

Just trying to read where you got fast track officer from!

Graduates can fast track to officer grade last time I checked

I want to join the Police but would take me 5-6yrs to get to the pay I'm at now and not sure if the whole of my pension would be carried over, I work in government already.

guv;4216629

You gonna be a rozzer?

lumoruk;4216642

Not quite! CCTV stuff but using it as a foot in the door to eventually become an officer.

fireheaven;4216637

Good for you hun :thumbsup:

Butterflies;4216661

Yay - My first job was with the police too - for 11 years! Good luck!

Thanks

Original Poster

lumoruk;4216723

Graduates can fast track to officer grade last time I checkedI want to … Graduates can fast track to officer grade last time I checkedI want to join the Police but would take me 5-6yrs to get to the pay I'm at now and not sure if the whole of my pension would be carried over, I work in government already.

Gosh my brain is Jelly - I forgot about that ;-) Having kids certainly doesn't exercise my brain in the way it used to be"!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75878
    2. Win a trip to Dublin, with Ireland.com via Classic FM23
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk88
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers55

See more discussions