Job seeking

Found 9th May
Why is it hard to get a job and how long have you been unemployed for?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
.. in my entire (working) life... since I was 17... I have been unemployed for a total of 7 days. Really isn't hard to find a job if you are willing to work

ps ... I'm 40 now
Edited by: "arcangel111" 9th May
If you are willing to do anything, and I mean ANYTHING, there are jobs out there.

Trouble is, a lot of people won't do "anything".
30 Comments
lol
.. in my entire (working) life... since I was 17... I have been unemployed for a total of 7 days. Really isn't hard to find a job if you are willing to work

ps ... I'm 40 now
Edited by: "arcangel111" 9th May
If you are willing to do anything, and I mean ANYTHING, there are jobs out there.

Trouble is, a lot of people won't do "anything".
My son wanted an apprenticeship in a certain field when he left school at 18 . He spent about 3 months applying for every job that met his criteria , about 90 applications in all . He was continuously interviewing either via phone or in person during those 12 weeks . When the first job offer came in we couldn't have been happier for him . Yes he was picky about what he wanted to do , but he also applied for everything he could find in a roughly 50 mile radius . It takes effort, during that time we also came across people who had applied for 1 or 2 jobs a week and couldn't understand why they hadn't got anywhere.
It was difficult when younger, but has got easier over the years as I have acquired skills and experience that employers want.

Keep at it OP, applying is a numbers and timing game. If your not getting invited to interview your CV is failing you, and needs re-working, If your failing at interview stage you need to improve your interview skills.

Despite how many questions your asked, interviewers generally want to answer 3 questions:

1. Do you have the skills and Experience to do the job (or the wit to be trained to do the job)
2. Will you hang around for a bit or naff off when a better opportunity comes along
3. Will you fit in with the existing team dynamic.

Learn how to answer those and you will land a job.
My advice is to go to the employer, do your homework about local large companies.

Better paid positions tend not to be advertised, as internally people have contacts who will fill the post. Go to their door, make yourself known, and ask to speak to whoever deals with recruitment.

Make it clear you want the job, say so, and that you are looking long term and will repay any investment put into you through that commitment.

Some simple things go a long long way. Smile. Dress appropriately for the role. Try to find a commonality with whoever you meet. Connect.
deleted1315437
Dilithium11 m ago

My advice is to go to the employer, do your homework about local large …My advice is to go to the employer, do your homework about local large companies.Better paid positions tend not to be advertised, as internally people have contacts who will fill the post. Go to their door, make yourself known, and ask to speak to whoever deals with recruitment.Make it clear you want the job, say so, and that you are looking long term and will repay any investment put into you through that commitment.Some simple things go a long long way. Smile. Dress appropriately for the role. Try to find a commonality with whoever you meet. Connect.

It’s almost 2020. Turning up at their door is no longer the way as you will get turned away and be told to go apply on their website.
deleted13154379th May

It’s almost 2020. Turning up at their door is no longer the way as you w …It’s almost 2020. Turning up at their door is no longer the way as you will get turned away and be told to go apply on their website.

Some most definitely will.

But I work with companies day in day out, many will sit and discuss matters with you, and that is where your own personality pays dividends.

If you want a low paid, apply with the herd kind of job, then visit your job centre and/or apply through advertised vacancies.
deleted1315437
Dilithium56 m ago

Some most definitely will.But I work with companies day in day out, many …Some most definitely will.But I work with companies day in day out, many will sit and discuss matters with you, and that is where your own personality pays dividends.If you want a low paid, apply with the herd kind of job, then visit your job centre and/or apply through advertised vacancies.

Then I guess a better question would be ‘how to approach a company for a job?’

Some of us don’t even know where to begin.
Edited by: "deleted1315437" 9th May
tinkerbellian3 h, 26 m ago

My son wanted an apprenticeship in a certain field when he left school at …My son wanted an apprenticeship in a certain field when he left school at 18 . He spent about 3 months applying for every job that met his criteria , about 90 applications in all . He was continuously interviewing either via phone or in person during those 12 weeks . When the first job offer came in we couldn't have been happier for him . Yes he was picky about what he wanted to do , but he also applied for everything he could find in a roughly 50 mile radius . It takes effort, during that time we also came across people who had applied for 1 or 2 jobs a week and couldn't understand why they hadn't got anywhere.

My 18yr old wants to do an apprenticeship in IT, there has been ONE job within 20miles which he applied and had interview for (unsuccessful), been looking for 6 months.

...and that was not even a proper IT job IMO, it was a glorified call centre vacancy for the local council so he was happy not to get that one.
Edited by: "splatsplatsplat" 9th May
splatsplatsplat10 h, 28 m ago

My 18yr old wants to do an apprenticeship in IT, there has been ONE job …My 18yr old wants to do an apprenticeship in IT, there has been ONE job within 20miles which he applied and had interview for (unsuccessful), been looking for 6 months....and that was not even a proper IT job IMO, it was a glorified call centre vacancy for the local council so he was happy not to get that one.

We are lucky in that we are only 35 minutes outside of London , so there were a large number of jobs , even though a lot of them would have meant the vast amount of his salary going on travel , season ticket is in the £4kplus bracket . IT apprenticeships tend to advertise later in the year than lots of others , probably the vast majority started to be advertised around July/September time last year. Also almost all of them are placed through the IT training companies who will provide the training , so my son spent ages getting accepted onto the books for all of them first prior to being put forward for any job interviews . I take it your son is going through the government apprentice job site to find vacancies ? It's worth looking into large local companies as some run their own recruitment drives via their own websites . My son also took his driving test so that he could travel further afield if he needed to . Luckily he had a weekend job , but we helped with driving lesson costs etc . Hope your son finds something soon , is he taking A levels at the moment , it's hard to do it all at the same time , hence my son didn't really start to look until he finished his exams .
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 10th May
deleted13154379th May

Then I guess a better question would be ‘how to approach a company for a j …Then I guess a better question would be ‘how to approach a company for a job?’Some of us don’t even know where to begin.

Think manufacturers, check out online who is local. Railways are currently some of the best paid jobs, visit their offices for a chat. The print industry is also high pay, are there any local? A trade such as plumbing or plastering etc will always reward hard work, think about enrolling at college on the next course, then approach large local firms.

Even by simply walking in to local local employers and saying what can you offer me could work. Companies want and need good workers, value who you are and what you can offer them. They work by the motto employ the person and train the skill. Be the person they actually want to train.
deleted1315437
Dilithium57 m ago

Think manufacturers, check out online who is local. Railways are currently …Think manufacturers, check out online who is local. Railways are currently some of the best paid jobs, visit their offices for a chat. The print industry is also high pay, are there any local? A trade such as plumbing or plastering etc will always reward hard work, think about enrolling at college on the next course, then approach large local firms. Even by simply walking in to local local employers and saying what can you offer me could work. Companies want and need good workers, value who you are and what you can offer them. They work by the motto employ the person and train the skill. Be the person they actually want to train.

That really is some good advice. Thank you for taking the time to share it.
deleted13154379th May

It’s almost 2020. Turning up at their door is no longer the way as you w …It’s almost 2020. Turning up at their door is no longer the way as you will get turned away and be told to go apply on their website.

Agree. We’ve always dodged people that come in like that pointing them to the website. You normally find those type of people can’t use a computer, which is critical for 90% of jobs these days.

The best way is to find the job online (as all jobs either through agencies or direct from employers are advertised online) then contact the contact person and have a chat over the phone about the role (after you have read some background on the company/organisation). This helps you to understand how they see the role and the critical aspects of the role which they will likely be asking you about in the interview.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th May
Dilithium3 h, 32 m ago

Some most definitely will.But I work with companies day in day out, many …Some most definitely will.But I work with companies day in day out, many will sit and discuss matters with you, and that is where your own personality pays dividends.If you want a low paid, apply with the herd kind of job, then visit your job centre and/or apply through advertised vacancies.

I’ve actually found quite the opposite, well paid jobs are usually online either through company websites/recruitment agencies etc and low paid shop/bar work is sign in the window, come in and have a chat type affair. I don’t think I’d want to work for a company with such an unstructured approach to recruitment for senior roles, says to me the company lacks structure and industry standard recruitment processes. Each to their own I suppose.
I can only go by experience from 7 years ago when my previous employer folded but my field was very competitive. Initially I was fairly picky about what to apply for but eventually realised that wasn't getting anywhere.

6 months later I decided to apply for 50+ suitable vacancies in one day and got the ideal job.
Not going to work for everyone but I recommend putting time and effort into CVs, cover letters and just churn out applications.
Edited by: "drasim" 9th May
After I had my first daughter, I decided I wasn’t returning to my old job after maternity leave. So I went out to look for a new job when I was ready to go back. I didn’t write a cv, I just went into places and gave my number etc. I had 3 job offers after one day of looking.

I was out of work for about a year of my adult life, but that was down to personal circumstances which led me to a mental breakdown so was in no fit state.

i have never had difficulty in finding jobs. I left home before I finished my GCSEs and do didn’t get the opportunity to go to college etc and had to work to survive. I have done some horrible jobs for little pay, but I was willing to do those things because I needed to work to live. The people who are unemployed for years because they can’t get a job are just not trying or not willing to do those low valued jobs.
In case this is suitable for anybody reading this thread...

[ cancerresearchuk.org/abo…ips ]
---
...If you're looking for an internship at our head office in London, our Autumn intake will be starting in September 2018 and we'll be accepting applications in July. If you would like to register your interest to receive an email reminder once applications open, then please send a blank email with the subject header 'Autumn Reminder' to placements@cancer.org.uk.

From June 2018 all internships at Cancer Research UK will be paid – making it one of the first major UK charities to abolish unpaid internships. This updated policy on internships is part of a wider commitment to creating an inclusive and diverse culture where everyone is able to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applicants from a diverse background, as we are keen to represent the communities we support...
---
arcangel11113 h, 42 m ago

.. in my entire (working) life... since I was 17... I have been unemployed ….. in my entire (working) life... since I was 17... I have been unemployed for a total of 7 days. Really isn't hard to find a job if you are willing to workps ... I'm 40 now

willing to work but body not willing to cope with the 3-4 medical conditions that weakens it every day! So I know you meant it innocently but don't tar us disabled workers who are out of work for months/years on end, not through want of trying!
fern374 h, 8 m ago

willing to work but body not willing to cope with the 3-4 medical …willing to work but body not willing to cope with the 3-4 medical conditions that weakens it every day! So I know you meant it innocently but don't tar us disabled workers who are out of work for months/years on end, not through want of trying!

There are places that do employ though. My last employer was almost entirely customer facing but one of my colleagues was completely deaf and partially sighted and another guy had tourettes syndrome. I guess it is about seeing the ability not the disability.
arcangel11121 h, 44 m ago

.. in my entire (working) life... since I was 17... I have been unemployed ….. in my entire (working) life... since I was 17... I have been unemployed for a total of 7 days. Really isn't hard to find a job if you are willing to workps ... I'm 40 now

Wait till one's 50+, the landscape changes for employment , depending on job functions, of course. That's why there is legislation against ageism, not that's effective.
arcangel11121 h, 56 m ago

arcangel11121 h, 56 m ago

20 years ago, that would have been me saying that

Not now. And the top age is dropping

Wish they would put Directors on zero hours contracts controlled by the weather/customers.
fern378 h, 55 m ago

willing to work but body not willing to cope with the 3-4 medical …willing to work but body not willing to cope with the 3-4 medical conditions that weakens it every day! So I know you meant it innocently but don't tar us disabled workers who are out of work for months/years on end, not through want of trying!

Just seen this guy on breakfast tv. It might be of use salesforce.com/uk/…tml
apparently jobcentres can force people to take zero-hours contract jobs.

bbc.co.uk/pro…5gd
Edited by: "seb" 10th May
psychobitchfromhell21 h, 8 m ago

There are places that do employ though. My last employer was almost …There are places that do employ though. My last employer was almost entirely customer facing but one of my colleagues was completely deaf and partially sighted and another guy had tourettes syndrome. I guess it is about seeing the ability not the disability.

I understand that but there are some disabilities that don't result in many days off and some that involve unpredictability. Mine are the latter so i have a lot of time off compared to someone who has a hearing aid. I'm not dismissing theirs are not being disabling enough. That is not my intention. My current employer has been the best but they have to be seen as fair across the board so although they have given me some leniency in the amount of time off before triggering my first disciplinary, I'm now in that process and it won't be as easy to do 6 months without any time off.

Good luck to the OP.
fern372 h, 8 m ago

I understand that but there are some disabilities that don't result in …I understand that but there are some disabilities that don't result in many days off and some that involve unpredictability. Mine are the latter so i have a lot of time off compared to someone who has a hearing aid. I'm not dismissing theirs are not being disabling enough. That is not my intention. My current employer has been the best but they have to be seen as fair across the board so although they have given me some leniency in the amount of time off before triggering my first disciplinary, I'm now in that process and it won't be as easy to do 6 months without any time off. Good luck to the OP.

Hats off to you for being in work at all. I was in a similar situation a few years ago due to severe post natal depression. some days I could work and at other times it could be weeks and weeks when just keeping mind and body together was a struggle. Sometimes it isn't as straightforward as it may seem. I wasn't trying to belittle your situation and I apologise if I gave that impression. I have a disabled son and I know all too well not all disabilities are visible. You're obviously the kind of person who shows it can be done and I applaud you for that.
psychobitchfromhell15 m ago

Hats off to you for being in work at all. I was in a similar situation a …Hats off to you for being in work at all. I was in a similar situation a few years ago due to severe post natal depression. some days I could work and at other times it could be weeks and weeks when just keeping mind and body together was a struggle. Sometimes it isn't as straightforward as it may seem. I wasn't trying to belittle your situation and I apologise if I gave that impression. I have a disabled son and I know all too well not all disabilities are visible. You're obviously the kind of person who shows it can be done and I applaud you for that.

No offence and no apology needed.

I totally understand why you said what you said and I was just explaining that sometimes, disabilities can't all be lumped together. There is a broad spectrum of abilities.

Been pushed into working by the government but they have now taken away my disability benefits so I have lost working tax credit. I'm barely surviving working but working is good for me mentally and socially. I need to make a decision soon as to what would be best financially and going back on benefits is the most likely option as I will be better of financially. It's not just a case of getting extra money for treats but having extra money for food! Health wise, it will allow my body to rest but mentally, I will miss the social interaction that people need to have some sanity!

Looking after disabled children is hard and you have my admiration. It's a constant fight to get help financially x
fern3733 m ago

No offence and no apology needed. I totally understand why you said what …No offence and no apology needed. I totally understand why you said what you said and I was just explaining that sometimes, disabilities can't all be lumped together. There is a broad spectrum of abilities. Been pushed into working by the government but they have now taken away my disability benefits so I have lost working tax credit. I'm barely surviving working but working is good for me mentally and socially. I need to make a decision soon as to what would be best financially and going back on benefits is the most likely option as I will be better of financially. It's not just a case of getting extra money for treats but having extra money for food! Health wise, it will allow my body to rest but mentally, I will miss the social interaction that people need to have some sanity! Looking after disabled children is hard and you have my admiration. It's a constant fight to get help financially x

life just isn't fair is it? Sometimes I feel you get penalised for trying. I managed to get my head back together but then so much other stuff happened. I got to the stage where I suppose I did have my second breakdown. It's only looking back at it now that I can see that is what happened. My husband took two weeks off work and we spent the time gardening which is terribly therapeutic. He went back to work as he was a lecturer and the new term was starting. I went back to work but my brain was mush and the doctor signed me off again. I was trying too hard to get back to work. Two weeks later my husband died. I haven't worked since. Fortunately we were extremely well insured which meant I had the choice to give up work. If I had had to continue working i shudder to think what state i would have been in by now and where that would've left my son.
psychobitchfromhell4 m ago

life just isn't fair is it? Sometimes I feel you get penalised for trying. …life just isn't fair is it? Sometimes I feel you get penalised for trying. I managed to get my head back together but then so much other stuff happened. I got to the stage where I suppose I did have my second breakdown. It's only looking back at it now that I can see that is what happened. My husband took two weeks off work and we spent the time gardening which is terribly therapeutic. He went back to work as he was a lecturer and the new term was starting. I went back to work but my brain was mush and the doctor signed me off again. I was trying too hard to get back to work. Two weeks later my husband died. I haven't worked since. Fortunately we were extremely well insured which meant I had the choice to give up work. If I had had to continue working i shudder to think what state i would have been in by now and where that would've left my son.

Look after you. People are more important. That's why I have been off for 6 months trying to stabilize all my conditions xx
fern3711 m ago

Look after you. People are more important. That's why I have been off for …Look after you. People are more important. That's why I have been off for 6 months trying to stabilize all my conditions xx

Hope you manage to get it all sorted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants