John Lewis 2 Year Guarantee - Laptop Malfunctioning

Found 22nd Jul
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has experience taking a malfunctioning laptop back to JL under the two year guarantee.

The laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 900s and has two main problems the key “-“ randomly presses continually but not all the time (may be a driver issue) and the touch pad is unresponsive occasionally.
Both these I have tried to fix multiple times by resetting the computer, reinstalling drivers etc etc.

I’d be happy if they could fix but not sure if this is covered.

Cheers

Waz
Community Updates
AskLaptop
12 Comments
My experience with John Lewis has always been amazing, even if some sale assistants attempt to tarnish their name from time to time!

I had a laptop that I returned within the warranty period, but as it was the holiday season I appreciated that they were busy so it did take a few weeks to return back to me, which tool it out of warranty. When I finally got it back, I realised a good few weeks later that there was still an issue and the guy in the 'help' department was really dismissive. I escalated it immediately and the associate was extremely helpful and on the spot gave me a trade in value almost to the original price of the laptop! I was amazed!

Give them the opportunity to make it right. Good luck.
They'll either try to repair it or refund you the amount you paid no hassle. Sometimes they refuse to repair and just refund which can be really annoying if its a good product and you got it at a great price which will leave you out of pocket because you can't buy it at that price anymore.
Sadly, the best days JL are long behind them.

A friend had a very, very bad experience with JL Customer Services. Legally, they have a right to a single repair. JL messed the repair up repeatedly and continued to assert they had the right to further visits.

I have had run ins with them on stock levels; ie told its in stock by the central service desk (who refuse to connect me to the store) and then found its out of stock when I have travelled to the store and paid parking (£3.50 at Touchwood). I prefer old style JL service to having to argue publicly with staff and refuse to be palmed off but thats what seems to be required these days. Things are not good on the world of JL following its calamitous expansion and outsourcing program.

I sincerely hope you have a better experience but it might be wise to ensure you know where you are before letting JL run riot.
Edited by: "ccnp" 22nd Jul
I’ve always had good service at JL. We have in the last year returned 2 laptops a turntable, a phone and a Bluetooth speaker and everything has been very low stress.
maltloaf_df25 m ago

I’ve always had good service at JL. We have in the last year returned 2 l …I’ve always had good service at JL. We have in the last year returned 2 laptops a turntable, a phone and a Bluetooth speaker and everything has been very low stress.

To the OP, if they are awkward. You have the above to blame.
Thanks all, I am definitely going to go in this week sometime and give it a shot.
The described faults are inferred to be intermittent. Even if JL considers a warranty servicing request, it may be difficult for any repair tech to acknowledge the faults, then it all becomes very messy.
Their Cs is very good I had great after service when an issue arose last year.
Simba9248 m ago

To the OP, if they are awkward. You have the above to blame.

I’m not quite sure why I’m to blame when I’m returning faulty items to a retailer ? Should I have just put up with the faults in case it spoiled the returns process for someone else ? I’d say top trolling but I’d be lying. A very poor attempt.
AndyRoyd6 m ago

The described faults are inferred to be intermittent. Even if JL considers …The described faults are inferred to be intermittent. Even if JL considers a warranty servicing request, it may be difficult for any repair tech to acknowledge the faults, then it all becomes very messy.

I had the same with a Microsoft Surface Book I returned direct to Microsoft. They returned it twice and just reinstalled the OS thinking that had sorted it which it hadn’t. Finding an associate which correctly understands the problem is the key. MS finally shipped me a complete replacement unit.
ccnp3 h, 16 m ago

A friend had a very, very bad experience with JL Customer Services. …A friend had a very, very bad experience with JL Customer Services. Legally, they have a right to a single repair.

This is a warranty repair, therefore "legally" doesn't come into it.
Op, the JL guarantee page is here johnlewis.com/cus…ees You should have had your guarantee emailed to you after purchase but I doubt the T&C will have changed much from the current ones.

Claiming on your guarantee:
For Acer, Apple, Samsung or Toshiba laptops still under guarantee, we offer a convenient free collection and repair service. To arrange a repair, either:

Take your computer to the Technical Support Area in one of our shopsOr call our helpline on 0330 123 0106 (call charges will depend on your telephone provider)
  • Please have your model number and date of purchase to hand when you call. You'll find all of this information on your original receipt – this acts as your guarantee, so please make sure you keep it safe
  • You can also email technicalsupport@johnlewis.com

If your computer needs a repair, we can then arrange for it to be collected from and returned to an address of your choice.

If you experience a problem within 90 days of purchase, call 0370 600 0060 8am - 9pm weekdays, 8am - 8pm Saturdays and 10am to 8pm Sundays (calls charged at a national call rate).

If we can't repair your item, we'll replace it with an item of equivalent specification. If no equivalent product is available, we'll either offer you the nearest equivalent specification or its selling price value , and we'll always do our best to make sure you're satisfied with the outcome.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions