1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
42 Comments

Cost 1 million
Promotion another 6 million

LINK to video
Edited by: "davewave" 10th Nov 2017

Given I haven't even seen it, I'm going to provisionally say no. Their coverage is not wide enough. But I guess there's still time.

It is obviously worth it to them. People talk about it so it is good advertising.

I haven't seen the new one yet.

I’m waiting for the “doctored” version to be released. Last year’s alternative was brilliant. youtu.be/fNk…VsA

does what it set out to do get publicity and you just posted a thread about it job done

Pretentious like all J.L adverts.
Edited by: "themachman" 10th Nov 2017

Ugh I much prefer the m&s advert "laughs"

Who cares its a waste of money which could help homeless people or charities.
Edited by: "summerof76" 10th Nov 2017

summerof7615 m ago

Who cares its a waste of money which could help homeless people or …Who cares its a waste of money which could help homeless people or charities.

Why on earth would they give 7 million to the homeless or charity? (albeit worthy causes)I can just imagine that conversation with the CEO, "No-one cares, its a waste of money so I have given the entire budget to the guy selling the big issue down the road"

John Lewis is a business and act accordingly.

DKLS2 m ago

Why on earth would they give 7 million to the homeless or charity? (albeit …Why on earth would they give 7 million to the homeless or charity? (albeit worthy causes)I can just imagine that conversation with the CEO, "No-one cares, its a waste of money so I have given the entire budget to the guy selling the big issue down the road"John Lewis is a business and act accordingly.

it would be an advert JL could be proud of Imagine it, the boss of JL going to an orphanage or homeless centre and just gives them 7 million pound. Now that would be great. Ain't gonna happen though, they'd sooner pay massive amounts to stupid PR people and ad agencies.

DKLS17 m ago

Why on earth would they give 7 million to the homeless or charity? (albeit …Why on earth would they give 7 million to the homeless or charity? (albeit worthy causes)I can just imagine that conversation with the CEO, "No-one cares, its a waste of money so I have given the entire budget to the guy selling the big issue down the road"John Lewis is a business and act accordingly.

themachman15 m ago

it would be an advert JL could be proud of Imagine it, the boss of JL …it would be an advert JL could be proud of Imagine it, the boss of JL going to an orphanage or homeless centre and just gives them 7 million pound. Now that would be great. Ain't gonna happen though, they'd sooner pay massive amounts to stupid PR people and ad agencies.

If such a figure was donated to homeless charities, most of it would be used up in administration, paying wages and buying advertising. A third of it might just dribble down to the actual homeless themselves.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 10th Nov 2017

themachman23 m ago

it would be an advert JL could be proud of Imagine it, the boss of JL …it would be an advert JL could be proud of Imagine it, the boss of JL going to an orphanage or homeless centre and just gives them 7 million pound. Now that would be great. Ain't gonna happen though, they'd sooner pay massive amounts to stupid PR people and ad agencies.

Have you worked with any marketing types? They would sell their grandmothers if they could.

Pride doesn't keep the shareholders happy. An advert for a company is designed to make money, and am sure that this is just a calculated risk, put up 7 million and hope that brings in xx million. Tbh in the scheme of things its petty cash.

"UK companies will spend an estimated £5.6bn on marketing in the run-up to Christmas – £300m more than in 2015 and the most ever spent in the festive season according to the latest estimates by the Advertising Association. While prime television spots alone are expected to attract a spend of £1.3bn.

Original Poster

All I actually meant was, do you think its a good advert ?

AgentDaleCooper18 m ago

All I actually meant was, do you think its a good advert ?

Yeah, but we know what you really meant

I think it’s a lovely advert but I prefer the M&S and TOYSRUS adverts this year

mattmerch1 h, 57 m ago

does what it set out to do get publicity and you just posted a thread …does what it set out to do get publicity and you just posted a thread about it job done

What's the return in profit would be a better test?

davewave19 m ago

What's the return in profit would be a better test?

Not easy to find that out.

CoeK6 m ago

Not easy to find that out.

In advance, no...but it's just an discussion rather than a test.

davewave1 m ago

In advance, no...but it's just an discussion rather than a test.

Not even easy to find it out afterwards, my company spends a decent amount on marketing, which I think is a waste of money but the sales director assures me it makes a difference.

mattmerch2 h, 31 m ago

does what it set out to do get publicity and you just posted a thread …does what it set out to do get publicity and you just posted a thread about it job done

Yep, number one topic on BBC news website.

DKLS2 h, 4 m ago

What I didn't mention was they could have given some of that money to help charities and the homeless, to make their christmas better. To spend 7 million on an advert is ridiculous

summerof761 m ago

What I didn't mention was they could have given some of that money to help …What I didn't mention was they could have given some of that money to help charities and the homeless, to make their christmas better. To spend 7 million on an advert is ridiculous

Why would they do that?

CoeK2 m ago

Why would they do that?

Christmas spirit

summerof761 m ago

Christmas spirit

Think you have been at the spirits already.

The advert is rubbish but the little boy is cute.

summerof761 h, 42 m ago

What I didn't mention was they could have given some of that money to help …What I didn't mention was they could have given some of that money to help charities and the homeless, to make their christmas better. To spend 7 million on an advert is ridiculous

Age UK’s charity director, Caroline Abrahams said: “The festive season is usually a time for celebration with those you love, but for too many older people it can reinforce feelings of loss, loneliness and of life passing them by…We all have a role to play in ensuring older people feel valued and included” This campaign is undoubtedly great news for Age UK, but what does the advert mean for the charity sector? Well within a day of its release, charities caring for elderly people were inundated with support, donations and volunteers; the elderly charity Independent Age saw a 600% increase in inquiries. Moreover, John Lewis has said it hopes to raise hundreds of thousands of pounds for Age UK with the Christmas advert."

summerof761 h, 50 m ago

I think you may have had a sheltered life. Yours is a lovely sentiment, but this is business, you should see what some companies spend on "hospitality and entertainment"!

Advert and TV free for 5 years and glad.

Original Poster

raptorcigs13 m ago

You've never seen or heard an advert in 5 years? No billboards? No magazine adverts? No radio adverts? No internet ads? Do you live on the moon?
Edited by: "AgentDaleCooper" 10th Nov 2017

Yes.

In a cave.

DKLS1 h, 39 m ago

Age UK’s charity director, Caroline Abrahams said: “The festive season is u …Age UK’s charity director, Caroline Abrahams said: “The festive season is usually a time for celebration with those you love, but for too many older people it can reinforce feelings of loss, loneliness and of life passing them by…We all have a role to play in ensuring older people feel valued and included” This campaign is undoubtedly great news for Age UK, but what does the advert mean for the charity sector? Well within a day of its release, charities caring for elderly people were inundated with support, donations and volunteers; the elderly charity Independent Age saw a 600% increase in inquiries. Moreover, John Lewis has said it hopes to raise hundreds of thousands of pounds for Age UK with the Christmas advert."

Pleased to hear that

frakison1 h, 32 m ago

I think you may have had a sheltered life. Yours is a lovely sentiment, …I think you may have had a sheltered life. Yours is a lovely sentiment, but this is business, you should see what some companies spend on "hospitality and entertainment"!

Maybe you are right

raptorcigs2 h, 28 m ago

You're welcome, we all feel better having funded it for you.

davewave17 m ago

You're welcome, we all feel better having funded it for you.

You ain't funded it for me, i don't watch live TV or any catch up on line.

summerof7610 h, 49 m ago

Who cares its a waste of money which could help homeless people or …Who cares its a waste of money which could help homeless people or charities.

Yep lets stop spending money on anything.

g8spur3 h, 6 m ago

Yep lets stop spending money on anything.

We will be known as scrooges
Edited by: "summerof76" 10th Nov 2017

CoeK10 h, 42 m ago

Think you have been at the spirits already.

I wouldn't expect any business to do it for the xmas spirit, but it would be a great image booster.

campaignlive.co.uk/art…147

I am immune to advertising.

copperspock9 m ago

I wouldn't expect any business to do it for the xmas spirit, but it would …I wouldn't expect any business to do it for the xmas spirit, but it would be a great image booster.https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/pret-donates-marketing-charity-christmas/1372147

A company with a poor image might benefit. John Lewis I would think is already seen in a positive way. And people love their adverts.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions