John Lewis delivery on appliances?

Found 12th Mar 2015
I ordered a television from JL before checking reviews of their online website. Now that I have checked, I am somewhat worried due to large amounts of negative reviews. My delivery is currently scheduled to arrive on Tuesday between 2-9pm.

What are the experiences some of you had in regards to the delivery of appliances such as TV's, washing machines, fridges etc. from John Lewis?

All comments are appreciated.
Community Updates
22 Comments
Absolutely fine-delivered and unpacked a fridge freezer no problem.
total disaster cos i live in n ireland and sent faulty item first. took a full month to get a completed order but had £65 returned as an apology
Always found them to be punctual and careful if delivered by John Lewis vans. Only had large kitchen appliances though, never a TV.
dixin123

total disaster cos i live in n ireland and sent faulty item first. took a … total disaster cos i live in n ireland and sent faulty item first. took a full month to get a completed order but had £65 returned as an apology

The faulty item you were first sent, was it at least delivered on time?
amadahmed2

The faulty item you were first sent, was it at least delivered on time?

on the 7th working day yes
I bought a tv from them, although it says delivery within 7 days the earliest date available was at least 10. On the morning they were due to deliver they phoned to say they will be here within an hour. 2 hours later they phoned to say that they will be unable to deliver today and I had to wait another week for it to be delivered. I was given a slot of 2-9pm, and it came at about 8:30pm. They got me to sign, dumped the tv in the garden and left (leaving me to drag it in!).
Canary0500

I bought a tv from them, although it says delivery within 7 days the … I bought a tv from them, although it says delivery within 7 days the earliest date available was at least 10. On the morning they were due to deliver they phoned to say they will be here within an hour. 2 hours later they phoned to say that they will be unable to deliver today and I had to wait another week for it to be delivered. I was given a slot of 2-9pm, and it came at about 8:30pm. They got me to sign, dumped the tv in the garden and left (leaving me to drag it in!).

The date available to me was 4 working days. I've had to book a day off work to be at home for when it arrives, mine is also in the 2-9pm slot. Guess I'll claim compensation for the money I would've earned from the day off if it does not arrive

Edited by: "amadahmed2" 12th Mar 2015
My television last year was delivered as scheduled they called me when they were 20 minutes away and asked me to check the package before signing they couldn't have been more courteous By the way you state the reviews on their online website when I think you mean Trust Pilot
Edited by: "hairyboxxox" 12th Mar 2015
hairyboxxox

My television last year was delivered as scheduled they called me when … My television last year was delivered as scheduled they called me when they were 20 minutes away and asked me to check the package before signing they couldn't have been more courteous By the way you state the reviews on their online website when I think you mean Trust Pilot

Thanks for the comment, I was meant to say reviews of their online website as seen on trustpilot. Couldn't believe how bad some of the reviews were. Bit more reassured now.
amadahmed2

Thanks for the comment, I was meant to say reviews of their online … Thanks for the comment, I was meant to say reviews of their online website as seen on trustpilot. Couldn't believe how bad some of the reviews were. Bit more reassured now.

Let us know how it goes. Unless John Lewis has dramatically changed in the last nine months I am not sure why there are a lot of poor reviews although people are more likely to complain when things go wrong than compliment when things go right.
hairyboxxox

Let us know how it goes. Unless John Lewis has dramatically changed in … Let us know how it goes. Unless John Lewis has dramatically changed in the last nine months I am not sure why there are a lot of poor reviews although people are more likely to complain when things go wrong than compliment when things go right.

Very true, I wouldn't be bothered leaving feedback if all goes well, but if it doesn't you feel aggrieved and just want to vent your frustration some how - which is why people leave negative feedback thinking that it hurts the company. When in actual fact, harm caused is very miniscule.
Canary0500

I bought a tv from them, although it says delivery within 7 days the … I bought a tv from them, although it says delivery within 7 days the earliest date available was at least 10. On the morning they were due to deliver they phoned to say they will be here within an hour. 2 hours later they phoned to say that they will be unable to deliver today and I had to wait another week for it to be delivered. I was given a slot of 2-9pm, and it came at about 8:30pm. They got me to sign, dumped the tv in the garden and left (leaving me to drag it in!).

The exact same thing happened to me apart from dumping the TV. I was supposed to receive it on a Friday, an hour before the time it was supposed to be delivered, a person called me and said that my tv was on the way - 2 hours later they called again and said sorry, blah de blah, we will have to deliver your tv tomorrow or next week. Had to reschedule it for the Saturday but it got delivered and the people delivering it were nice. I got a bit of compensation back which I was happy with and the good thing about JL is that because the price of my tv dropped 2 weeks later, they refunded me the difference after asking them. Hope this helps.
I had a tv delivered about 6 years ago (I know kind of a long time ago) but they were very nice. I had a young baby at the time so they even took it upstairs for me into my living room (I lived in a first floor flat at the time) as they knew there was no chance I was getting a 32" tv up the stairs myself. They called I think am hour before to let me know they were going to be there.

Maybe it depends on where you live mine was delivered in East London if that helps.
LOL I also live in East London, close to Ilford guess it should be okay then :).
amadahmed2

LOL I also live in East London, close to Ilford guess it should be okay … LOL I also live in East London, close to Ilford guess it should be okay then :).

I'm in newham so practically neighbours.
adhkarzf

I'm in newham so practically neighbours.

Yep, I'm also in Newham, Ilford is literally 5 minutes away from me. Weird that I could take one step and no longer be in the same borough. Good speaking to you NEIGHBOUR
John Lewis service standards have fallen dramatically in recent months, the reviews on Trustpilot are from real customers. They now have among the worst customer service standards of any online retailer.

uk.trustpilot.com/rev…com

They do not actually stock large white goods appliances, despite stating " 10 in stock " on their website.
Inactive

John Lewis service standards have fallen dramatically in recent months, … John Lewis service standards have fallen dramatically in recent months, the reviews on Trustpilot are from real customers. They now have among the worst customer service standards of any online retailer.https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.johnlewis.comThey do not actually stock large white goods appliances, despite stating " 10 in stock " on their website.

last year I bought a kmix stand mixer from them which should have come with a free blender. Unfortunately they didn't send it out so I called them up and they sent it out straight away no problems. didn't say we need to investigate or anything just took my word for it.

more recently I bought a tablet from them which after a week was taking all night to charge and even then wasn't full in the morning. took it back and they replaced it without questions and took my word for it.

I think it all depends on who you get served by but all my experiences of John lewis have been really good. I would definitely buy from them again and again until maybe I have a bad experience.
adhkarzf

last year I bought a kmix stand mixer from them which should have come … last year I bought a kmix stand mixer from them which should have come with a free blender. Unfortunately they didn't send it out so I called them up and they sent it out straight away no problems. didn't say we need to investigate or anything just took my word for it. more recently I bought a tablet from them which after a week was taking all night to charge and even then wasn't full in the morning. took it back and they replaced it without questions and took my word for it. I think it all depends on who you get served by but all my experiences of John lewis have been really good. I would definitely buy from them again and again until maybe I have a bad experience.

Same for me I would use them again unless I had a negative experience I cannot vouch for the veracity of the comments on TrustPilot and I wouldn't rely on one source for the review of a company but I do sense that something has happened in the last year which needs resolving otherwise it will do them lasting harm. Guardian on John Lewis
I think delivery is all dependant on the mentality of the delivery man/driver, if they were to see that they only had 10-20 minutes left of their shift they wouldn't bother driving somewhere which is 30 minutes away to deliver an item, even though the item was supposed to be delivered on that day.
Edited by: "amadahmed2" 13th Mar 2015
You do realise that most deliveries of larger electrical items are delivered direct from the manufacturer, not from John Lewis, as I said earlier, John Lewis do not actually stock any larger electrical items for sale, despite their website suggesting that " items in stock ".

That is why you cannot get any large items for next day delivery.

They are also delivered by a third party logistics company these days.
Inactive

You do realise that most deliveries of larger electrical items are … You do realise that most deliveries of larger electrical items are delivered direct from the manufacturer, not from John Lewis, as I said earlier, John Lewis do not actually stock any larger electrical items for sale, despite their website suggesting that " items in stock ".That is why you cannot get any large items for next day delivery.They are also delivered by a third party logistics company these days.

I didn't state that JL deliver. I said that the delivery man (whether it be a John Lewis representative or a independent contractor) would act on their best interest dependent on the amount of time left on their shift, even though the supplier (John Lewis) notified them that the delivery was due on a proposed date.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants