John Lewis Fibre help

For some odd reason I transferred to John Lewis fibre from BT. BT wanted me to accept a 24 month contract to get near the same price and John Lewis has £60 cashback plus evening calls and was cheaper for the faster fibre (which it didn't seem my line supported so I stuck with old speed). I figured it's all the same infrastructure.

The only complaints I could see for JL where people being put on as Plusnet or the email (I never used my BT email anyway)

The John Lewis router just keeps rebooting and they are sending a new one out but it's a Zyxel !!!WTF... I'm assuming the same will happen as soon as a few devices start connecting.

I have a BT HomeHub 5 Type A and B but neither will allow me to enter John-lewis.com for the user name.

The initial change was also too painful for me (phone was 29th at 9:00 but broadband not till 30th at 00:20).

So, do I have any cool off at all as I thought this was the period from choosing to switch which seems silly.

Anyone regretted switching with advice?

14 Comments

Not sure why you can't just plug the line and ethernet into the old BT router? I could be wrong.

The cooling off period starts from the day you switched not when it went live.

John Lewis as an ISP doesnt have a good rep. Zyxel make a lot of routers that get rebranded by the big ISPs, same as several other companies you may have never heard of, not sure if the current HH5 is a Zyxel a Huawai, or Thompsons ( my money is on Thompson though, as it also has a poor reliability record, especially the wifi).

JL is just a VISP, so you will get all the same issues every other PN customer complains about, poor speeds, high contention, opaque and heavy handed traffic management, poor tech support and billing errors.

To get a decent level of service, you have to pay a decent amount of money; I have been unemployed for over a year now, but no way will I ditch my premium ISP and go to PN, TT or BT.

Gentle_Giant

John Lewis as an ISP doesnt have a good rep. Zyxel make a lot of routers … John Lewis as an ISP doesnt have a good rep. Zyxel make a lot of routers that get rebranded by the big ISPs, same as several other companies you may have never heard of, not sure if the current HH5 is a Zyxel a Huawai, or Thompsons ( my money is on Thompson though, as it also has a poor reliability record, especially the wifi).JL is just a VISP, so you will get all the same issues every other PN customer complains about, poor speeds, high contention, opaque and heavy handed traffic management, poor tech support and billing errors.To get a decent level of service, you have to pay a decent amount of money; I have been unemployed for over a year now, but no way will I ditch my premium ISP and go to PN, TT or BT.

So who's you're 'premium' ISP ?

I am with Fuel broadband which land includes in rent, the zyxel router was a joke locking up numerous times a day, requiring a manual power cycle every time. Found an old ADSL router that allowed me to clone settings and used that and although not perfect has been pretty stable for a year now and changed a woeful service into a reasonable one (especially for price)

Nothing wrong with zyxel kit.

skidderbrown

So who's you're 'premium' ISP ?

Aquiss.

BTW Its "whose" and "your".

Two mistakes in five words; are you a doctor??

Gentle_Giant

Aquiss.BTW Its "whose" and "your".Two mistakes in five words; are you a … Aquiss.BTW Its "whose" and "your".Two mistakes in five words; are you a doctor??

I can't believe someone with such good punctuation and grammar isn't employed.

I can appreciate that spending your benefits on a 'Premium ISP' allows you to surf the inter-webs correcting people's spelling without any issues, but the tax payers money would be better put to use if you spent it on things that could help you get a job. Seeing as you have been so helpful to a fellow HUKD member, I feel obliged to help you in return.

You're going to need a suit from hotukdeals.com/dea…119

Then have a read of this amazon.co.uk/How…021

And finally, take your pick on here > indeed.co.uk

Good luck
Edited by: "INDUSTRYHATER" 2nd Jan

Gentle_Giant

Aquiss.BTW Its "whose" and "your".Two mistakes in five words; are you a … Aquiss.BTW Its "whose" and "your".Two mistakes in five words; are you a doctor??

Jesus, this is still a thing!

INDUSTRYHATER

I can't believe someone with such good punctuation and grammar isn't … I can't believe someone with such good punctuation and grammar isn't employed.I can appreciate that spending your benefits on a 'Premium ISP' allows you to surf the inter-webs correcting people's spelling without any issues, but the tax payers money would be better put to use if you spent it on things that could help you get a job. Seeing as you have been so helpful to a fellow HUKD member, I feel obliged to help you in return.You're going to need a suit from http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/mens-suit-jacket-15-asda-george-free-c-c-2587119Then have a read of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Not-Dick-Meghan-Doherty/dp/1936976021And finally, take your pick on here >https://www.indeed.co.uk.Good luck

Actually, my problem is that I have a rare and incurable illness; although it is under control, because it is so rare and not well known, employers would rather hire someone with fewer qualifications and no illness.
I have had precisely one interview in 2 years of trying (had a years notice at my old employer).
(1:1,400,000 men).

BTW, I dont claim dole, or any other government money, we scrape by on my wifes part time hours; we pay the full council tax, prescriptions and dental costs.

Gentle_Giant

Actually, my problem is that I have a rare and incurable illness; … Actually, my problem is that I have a rare and incurable illness; although it is under control, because it is so rare and not well known, employers would rather hire someone with fewer qualifications and no illness.I have had precisely one interview in 2 years of trying (had a years notice at my old employer).(1:1,400,000 men).BTW, I dont claim dole, or any other government money, we scrape by on my wifes part time hours; we pay the full council tax, prescriptions and dental costs.

Ahhh it makes sense now, you have been diagnosed as having an incurable chip on your shoulder.

I refuse to believe that your on Hukd, where the fundamental part and objective of this website is to save money, that you choose to struggle financially when help is available. Maybe it's because your a proud man, I'd hazard a guess that's it's because your a liar.
Your married yet pay full council tax? Lies - there is categorically no way that if your wife does exist, that you don't get a married couples discount on your tax. Your both entitled to free prescriptions and dental costs yet you choose to pay? What the .... that's like seeing an amazing deal on a new tv, let's say it's reduced from £999 to £100 and then insisting to the retailer you pay full price!

INDUSTRYHATER

Ahhh it makes sense now, you have been diagnosed as having an incurable … Ahhh it makes sense now, you have been diagnosed as having an incurable chip on your shoulder.I refuse to believe that your on Hukd, where the fundamental part and objective of this website is to save money, that you choose to struggle financially when help is available. Maybe it's because your a proud man, I'd hazard a guess that's it's because your a liar. Your married yet pay full council tax? Lies - there is categorically no way that if your wife does exist, that you don't get a married couples discount on your tax. Your both entitled to free prescriptions and dental costs yet you choose to pay? What the .... that's like seeing an amazing deal on a new tv, let's say it's reduced from £999 to £100 and then insisting to the retailer you pay full price!

Thank-you for the punctuation check. Actually it really helped as I'm generally good at spelling!

I would like to know what your incurable illness is please?

Unfortunately I agree with the above posters. Get a job working at McDonald's part time or sweep the streets.

Over and out.

So you do work Gentle_Giant according to your previous post and I quote...

"It has gotten so bad, I am going to close my own seller account in the new year. 1st of January a closing down sale will go up and last orders taken on the 31st of Jan.

After that we will go back to events and special markets, where the silk scarves sell well, and people can look and feel the product; and not worry they will be sent a bit of cheap polyester'

So you are a liar?

Or maybe a spelling mistake from your previous posts?

' AndrewRunagall
MMORPH?

Sorry, 3 y/o on my lap, I didnt notice the error

MMORPG!! '

Original Poster

Hi

John Lewis sent me out a second router. While I was waiting I turned wifi off on my old one and used my RT-N66U connected via Ethernet to do the wifi stuff. All was stable (4 days of kids playing Overwatch and Destiny).

Basically they have no idea and have asked me to isolate the problem, I have an idea that it might be the newer PS4 or PS4 Pro as they have been connected when rebooting normally (once stopping me getting through to the weekend league in Fifa in the final grrrr..).

Why do I think this? Well I had a few issues getting these new ps4's to connect to the BT HomeHub5 before Chritmas.

To be fair I'm pretty sick of the whole thing and getting no useful feedback from support while they bemoan that I can't connect my homehub and know I have a solution that will work until December (when I can go back to BT).

Anyone got any ideas how to test my theory. I would like to show that a certain device (PS4) doing certain things causes the router to cycle.... but will probably end up connecting the RT-N66U and never contacting John Lewis again (path of least resistance as always in life).
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1524
    2. Fanta Snapcode for Filters and Lenses11
    3. What would be HELL to you?1920
    4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***620

See more discussions