John Lewis laptop returns

Found 4th May 2016
I bought a laptop from John Lewis just under a month ago but I am really disappointed with it. There isn't anything massively wrong but it just isn't particularly quick and generally hasn't impressed me for the money I paid.

When I bought it the man that served me said I could return it within 90 days. Annoyingly I have saved all of my files onto it and have been using it (and tried to love it!). Does this matter? Will I still be able to return without any problems?

Please help!
Community Updates
20 Comments
Erm, back them up and delete them?

Was it a ninety day return regardless of use?
Seems unusual.
On the website it says "Please return the unused product to us within 90 days of receiving your order" but that wasn't mentioned when I bought it.

I'm also just warey of deleting as I know some magic computer whizz people are able to retrieve stuff - I don't want any new owners being able to access my files etc.
Their T&Cs are here.
johnlewis.com/cus…cts
One sentence in there says " Unless faulty, we'd like this to be within 90 days of purchase."

Not sure of your model but you should be able to return to factory state by reinstall from hidden partition. Noting is 100% but unless you are a complete paranoid it should be Ok

Edited by: "tardytortoise" 4th May 2016
90 days is for unused items
I've just read that and it definitely says unused I remember the guy that served me saying as long as I didn't smash it up I'd be OK to return it - that could mean just opening it up and having a look rather than transferring my life to it and using it for 3 weeks!
AND I've just seen that it has dropped in price since I bought it!
_bullers

I've just read that and it definitely says unused I remember the guy … I've just read that and it definitely says unused I remember the guy that served me saying as long as I didn't smash it up I'd be OK to return it - that could mean just opening it up and having a look rather than transferring my life to it and using it for 3 weeks!

Just delete your content and put it back to how it was like new, pack it up well and you'll be fine. Just say you have changed your mind and would like to return the product within 90 days as per their policy.
"You DON'T have a legal right to a refund or replacement just because you change your mind.
BUT… please ask about their returns policy as they may be able to help in-store." - Paraphrased from - citizensadvice.org.uk/Glo…pdf

So unless it is not fit for purpose, not as described etc, it'll be down to the discretion of the store?
Edited by: "zan87" 4th May 2016
Now I'm confused. You will only find a definitive answer by returning it. But it does appear that John Lewis T&Cs are better than your statutory rights so feel lucky
I shall go in and see what they say! I am still a bit concerned about other people being able to get at my files even after deleting and formatting it though
_bullers

I shall go in and see what they say! I am still a bit concerned about … I shall go in and see what they say! I am still a bit concerned about other people being able to get at my files even after deleting and formatting it though

I think you'll be fine. Although, you could search Google for free programs that erase files beyond recovery if it will give you peace of mind (just watch out for adware/malware).
_bullers

I shall go in and see what they say! I am still a bit concerned about … I shall go in and see what they say! I am still a bit concerned about other people being able to get at my files even after deleting and formatting it though

In which case just hang onto it.
If you really that scared you could remove the disk and replace it with another but that feels like too much hassle to me.
And if you are really really scared, buy an identical machine, swap over the disks and then return it. You still end up with a machine you dont like but at least your files are quite safe.
If it is Windows 10 you can do a "factory reset" to put the computer back it was when you bought it.

There are instructions here, though the windows shown may have changed slightly as they have made changes to how some of the windows look.

expertreviews.co.uk/sof…ngs
In fact before doing the factory reset above (and after you have removed your personal files) download and install CCleaner (free) and run it to delete all "temp" files (put a tick against all the options).

Then go into the Tools option of CCleaner and choose "Drive Wiper" and choose to "wipe free space".

This will "zap" all the empty space on your disk and delete any files you have deleted but that have not actually gone. It could take an hour or more.
guilbert53

In fact before doing the factory reset above (and after you have removed … In fact before doing the factory reset above (and after you have removed your personal files) download and install CCleaner (free) and run it to delete all "temp" files (put a tick against all the options).Then go into the Tools option of CCleaner and choose "Drive Wiper" and choose to "wipe free space".This will "zap" all the empty space on your disk and delete any files you have deleted but that have not actually gone. It could take an hour or more.

​Thank you so much!
I returned a camera last weekend, that I had for just over a month.
No issues, 90 days returns
_bullers

Exactly what type of 'files' are you concerned about somebody finding??? You seem to be very paranoid about something...
which machine was it?
ipswich78

Exactly what type of 'files' are you concerned about somebody finding??? … Exactly what type of 'files' are you concerned about somebody finding??? You seem to be very paranoid about something...

​It's a secret!!
espirit77

which machine was it?

​Acer E5-574G
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions