John Lewis moving customer services to the Far East

Posted 9th Dec 2019
Heads up, John Lewis are starting to move all their customer services abroad to save money. For all those that rave about the customer services expect it to take a steep decline. 300 uk staff being laid off.

Merry Christmas
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
They should stop spending millions on crap Christmas TV adverts instead.
We all want things cheaper and cheaper , this is the consequence .
Dannyrobbo09/12/2019 19:04

sounds good in practise but why would anybody pay to get the same problem …sounds good in practise but why would anybody pay to get the same problem solved when it could be done by pressing the free option, it’s not like it would be better support they just read a pre prepared script in your local accent.anyway it’s a shame people are going to lose their jobs hopefully some can transition into other roles.

That is exactly my point. People talk about these job losses but no consumer is willing to pay the higher prices for goods & services that will keep the jobs locally. Same with Amazon and eBay - we are all addicted to the deals, and complaining how they don't pay UK taxes is just talk, nothing else. We all want the money to come from somewhere, just not our own wallets.
STRICKIBHOY09/12/2019 18:46

Disgusting laying 300 staff off just before Xmas, shame on John Lewis.

There is never a good time to give anybody such news but it is better than on the first working day of the New Year.

Notice now will at least prepare some to cut-back rather than spending over one's means during the festive season & then hearing the bad news when the credit card bills hit the doormat in the New Year.

It may also mean the employee Christmas party is cancelled.
39 Comments
Happy new year
That was a stupid move, may as well flog it to Mike Ashley now!
They are bleeding, hardly a surprise. Would people pay for the Dell model? Some years ago, Dell in the US started charging for a call if a customer wanted to talk to someone within the US. Turns out everyone wanted cheap computers but no one was ready to pay for local support.

There is never a good time to give anybody such news but it is better than on the first working day of the New Year.

Notice now will at least prepare some to cut-back rather than spending over one's means during the festive season & then hearing the bad news when the credit card bills hit the doormat in the New Year.

It may also mean the employee Christmas party is cancelled.
bozo00709/12/2019 18:52

They are bleeding, hardly a surprise. Would people pay for the Dell model? …They are bleeding, hardly a surprise. Would people pay for the Dell model? Some years ago, Dell in the US started charging for a call if a customer wanted to talk to someone within the US. Turns out everyone wanted cheap computers but no one was ready to pay for local support.

sounds good in practise but why would anybody pay to get the same problem solved when it could be done by pressing the free option, it’s not like it would be better support they just read a pre prepared script in your local accent.

anyway it’s a shame people are going to lose their jobs hopefully some can transition into other roles.
God save the queen.
Dannyrobbo09/12/2019 19:04

sounds good in practise but why would anybody pay to get the same problem …sounds good in practise but why would anybody pay to get the same problem solved when it could be done by pressing the free option, it’s not like it would be better support they just read a pre prepared script in your local accent.anyway it’s a shame people are going to lose their jobs hopefully some can transition into other roles.

That is exactly my point. People talk about these job losses but no consumer is willing to pay the higher prices for goods & services that will keep the jobs locally. Same with Amazon and eBay - we are all addicted to the deals, and complaining how they don't pay UK taxes is just talk, nothing else. We all want the money to come from somewhere, just not our own wallets.
bozo00709/12/2019 19:31

That is exactly my point. People talk about these job losses but no …That is exactly my point. People talk about these job losses but no consumer is willing to pay the higher prices for goods & services that will keep the jobs locally. Same with Amazon and eBay - we are all addicted to the deals, and complaining how they don't pay UK taxes is just talk, nothing else. We all want the money to come from somewhere, just not our own wallets.

I blame HUKD.
bozo00709/12/2019 18:52

They are bleeding, hardly a surprise. Would people pay for the Dell model? …They are bleeding, hardly a surprise. Would people pay for the Dell model? Some years ago, Dell in the US started charging for a call if a customer wanted to talk to someone within the US. Turns out everyone wanted cheap computers but no one was ready to pay for local support.

Dell? Cheap??

Overpriced tat more like
I would say im surprised but im not
fanpages09/12/2019 18:52

There is never a good time to give anybody such news but it is better than …There is never a good time to give anybody such news but it is better than on the first working day of the New Year.Notice now will at least prepare some to cut-back rather than spending over one's means during the festive season & then hearing the bad news when the credit card bills hit the doormat in the New Year.It may also mean the employee Christmas party is cancelled.

Norseg09/12/2019 20:17

Comment deleted

The loss of employment is not restricted to "unstable minimum wage" jobs regardless of the nationality of the Robots that may be used to replace the workforce.

There is never a good time to give anybody such news but it is better than …There is never a good time to give anybody such news but it is better than on the first working day of the New Year.Notice now will at least prepare some to cut-back rather than spending over one's means during the festive season & then hearing the bad news when the credit card bills hit the doormat in the New Year.It may also mean the employee Christmas party is cancelled.

I do agree with your point's but we aren't just talking about cutting back on what they spend, this can be a Christmas cancelled for some families. Again I do agree there's never a good time for this kind of news. What's frustrating is they want to charge us uk prices but pay Philippines wages, something should change.
Edited by: "STRICKIBHOY" 9th Dec 2019
cecilmcroberts09/12/2019 18:29

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/06/john-lewis-to-offshore-contact-centre-jobs-as-uk-staff-laid-off

According to this it will be for non-verbal communication. So they would be handling emails and online price match requests, don't know if this would be a major loss for customers given UK staff will still be answering calls. Amazon outsource everything to Philippines, India, etc. and people say they have great CS but it just depends on how well staff are trained - worst thing is speaking on phone due to language barrier/accent differences but this won't be an issue.

It is disappointing they axed jobs at this time of year but then again it is never a good time to axe jobs for employees.

STRICKIBHOY09/12/2019 20:55

I do agree with your point's but we aren't just talking about cutting back …I do agree with your point's but we aren't just talking about cutting back on what they spend, this can be a Christmas cancelled for some families. Again I do agree there's never a good time for this kind of news. What's frustrating is they want to charge us uk prices but pay Indonesian wages, something should change.

Traditional (UK) department store businesses (Debenhams, House of Fraser, & Fenwick, for example) have been hit hard in recent years & there have already been profit warnings from John Lewis & Partners.

These stores are too big for the changing marketplace; this very site being a good example of how the general public now sources products from the cheapest retailer, the most convenient delivery method, &/or from the furthest points of the globe, rather than engaging in a bygone family shopping experience every weekend (as was the case in previous decades).

Those that are slow to adapt because of their large retail presence in the high street & out-of-town shopping centre dominance will all have to find ways to reduce costs; moving their customer service departments to cheaper labour markets is, sadly, inevitable.
bozo00709/12/2019 19:31

That is exactly my point. People talk about these job losses but no …That is exactly my point. People talk about these job losses but no consumer is willing to pay the higher prices for goods & services that will keep the jobs locally. Same with Amazon and eBay - we are all addicted to the deals, and complaining how they don't pay UK taxes is just talk, nothing else. We all want the money to come from somewhere, just not our own wallets.

To be fair it’s not like they’d still keep jobs locally, shareholders need dividends and continually rising profits. Paying extra would suffice for a little while before they shipped them off anyway knowing they could charge you for the call, before they replace the foreign call centre with AI and minimal staff.

Anybody working manually at amazon picking or on the checkouts etc are all just waiting to be made redundant by a machine, also lay off Amazon they pay all taxes they are required to the same as we all do we just get a raw deal of it.
fanpages09/12/2019 20:23

The loss of employment is not restricted to "unstable minimum wage" jobs …The loss of employment is not restricted to "unstable minimum wage" jobs regardless of the nationality of the Robots that may be used to replace the workforce.

Cheap labour from third world countries plays a big part not just UK
USA and many other countries have for decades been losing business before it's cheaper to pay some chinese child a couple cents with suicide nets outside his factory over UK business so dont blame Brexit like usual..
Norseg09/12/2019 22:06

Cheap labour from third world countries plays a big part not just UKUSA …Cheap labour from third world countries plays a big part not just UKUSA and many other countries have for decades been losing business before it's cheaper to pay some chinese child a couple cents with suicide nets outside his factory over UK business so dont blame Brexit like usual..

I said something similar later in the thread (before your reply).
Retrain them as nurses and doctors to run the new hospitals Boris is building.
It's not hard to fathom why companies are moving operations out if the UK. Minimum wage is high and let's be honest the indigenous workforce are not highly educated or skilled and the UK is not exactly renowned for its customer service.

Look at Honda for example, the overpaid unionised workforce are why they are pulling out if the country.
666FU10/12/2019 01:11

...not highly educated or skilled... why they are pulling out if the …...not highly educated or skilled... why they are pulling out if the country.

*of the country
deleted1471098
fanpages09/12/2019 21:14

Traditional (UK) department store businesses (Debenhams, House of … Traditional (UK) department store businesses (Debenhams, House of Fraser, & Fenwick, for example) have been hit hard in recent years & there have already been profit warnings from John Lewis & Partners.These stores are too big for the changing marketplace; this very site being a good example of how the general public now sources products from the cheapest retailer, the most convenient delivery method, &/or from the furthest points of the globe, rather than engaging in a bygone family shopping experience every weekend (as was the case in previous decades).Those that are slow to adapt because of their large retail presence in the high street & out-of-town shopping centre dominance will all have to find ways to reduce costs; moving their customer service departments to cheaper labour markets is, sadly, inevitable.

John Lewis still spent £8 million on an advert when even big media companies agree big Christmas adverts don’t pull in people anymore. Additionally I don’t watch live tv so haven’t seen it and many other people like me have ditched live tv so wouldn’t see it either. It’s seems John Lewis is on a downward spiral and is widely out of touch with changing customer habits.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 10th Dec 2019
deleted147109810/12/2019 04:07

John Lewis still spent £8 million on an advert when even big media …John Lewis still spent £8 million on an advert when even big media companies agree big Christmas adverts don’t pull in people anymore. Additionally I don’t watch live tv so haven’t seen it and many other people like me have ditched live tv so wouldn’t see it either. It’s seems John Lewis is on a downward spiral and is widely out of touch with changing customer habits.

(or £7 million depending on which web site you read)

No, I would not have seen it either, if it wasn't for the "John Lewis Christmas Advert 2019" ( @MiniMissyMoo ) thread.

It seemed to be do well in the "spike" scores though:

"A Week in Christmas ads: John Lewis' Edgar is its biggest hit since 'Monty the Penguin" (thedrum.com, 22 November 2019)
"Ad of the Week – John Lewis, Excitable Edgar" (system1group.com, 21 November 2019)
"Consistency and Creativity – John Lewis’ Juggling Act" (system1group.com, 17 November 2019)
STRICKIBHOY09/12/2019 20:55

I do agree with your point's but we aren't just talking about cutting back …I do agree with your point's but we aren't just talking about cutting back on what they spend, this can be a Christmas cancelled for some families. Again I do agree there's never a good time for this kind of news. What's frustrating is they want to charge us uk prices but pay Philippines wages, something should change.

I read as far as "point's".
deleted147109810/12/2019 04:07

John Lewis still spent £8 million on an advert when even big media …John Lewis still spent £8 million on an advert when even big media companies agree big Christmas adverts don’t pull in people anymore. Additionally I don’t watch live tv so haven’t seen it and many other people like me have ditched live tv so wouldn’t see it either. It’s seems John Lewis is on a downward spiral and is widely out of touch with changing customer habits.

I think that they may have slightly increased their footfall by people going into stores to buy that stupid dragon toy. You have to watch adverts even if you watch ITV and Channel 4 on catch up. I know that you can pay a subscription to watch ITV Hub ad-free but I think 99% of people don't.
DistortedVision10/12/2019 01:17

If only I could like this post 100 x times
Their whole appeal is based on customer service!
mikeportsmouth09/12/2019 21:40

True to a point but John Lewis have never been the cheapest, they're reputation for excellent customer service is arguably the major reason their customers choose them over cheaper alternatives, this could be a major own goal for them.
spoo10/12/2019 17:21

True to a point but John Lewis have never been the cheapest, they're …True to a point but John Lewis have never been the cheapest, they're reputation for excellent customer service is arguably the major reason their customers choose them over cheaper alternatives, this could be a major own goal for them.

Or there still are too many people who look down on being seen in a cheaper store.
I’ve already experienced this a few weeks ago. Tried to call a store and got a call centre in the Indian region. They couldn’t pass me through and what I was was after wouldn’t be available on their website.
Removing access to stores is a very poor step.
Norseg09/12/2019 20:12

Dell? Cheap?? Overpriced tat more like

They were cheap once, but yeah overpriced now
spoo10/12/2019 17:21

True to a point but John Lewis have never been the cheapest, they're …True to a point but John Lewis have never been the cheapest, they're reputation for excellent customer service is arguably the major reason their customers choose them over cheaper alternatives, this could be a major own goal for them.

Yep can't see this doing them any favours.
deleted1471098
DistortedVision10/12/2019 09:34

I think that they may have slightly increased their footfall by people …I think that they may have slightly increased their footfall by people going into stores to buy that stupid dragon toy. You have to watch adverts even if you watch ITV and Channel 4 on catch up. I know that you can pay a subscription to watch ITV Hub ad-free but I think 99% of people don't.

Don’t watch any of those channels so wouldn’t see it.
deleted1471098
fanpages10/12/2019 09:10

(or £7 million depending on which web site you read)No, I would not have …(or £7 million depending on which web site you read)No, I would not have seen it either, if it wasn't for the "John Lewis Christmas Advert 2019" ( @MiniMissyMoo ) thread.It seemed to be do well in the "spike" scores though:"A Week in Christmas ads: John Lewis' Edgar is its biggest hit since 'Monty the Penguin" (thedrum.com, 22 November 2019)"Ad of the Week – John Lewis, Excitable Edgar" (system1group.com, 21 November 2019)"Consistency and Creativity – John Lewis’ Juggling Act" (system1group.com, 17 November 2019)

Yeah I ignore all this fake review awards they are wrong so much. Eg Hey this film won 7 academy awards so you must watch it, it’s so boring I was asleep in 10 minutes.
Oneday7710/12/2019 18:53

I’ve already experienced this a few weeks ago. Tried to call a store and g …I’ve already experienced this a few weeks ago. Tried to call a store and got a call centre in the Indian region. They couldn’t pass me through and what I was was after wouldn’t be available on their website. Removing access to stores is a very poor step.

Apple is doing this too — except the call centre is in Ireland. When they tried to transfer me to the store, it rang and rang with no answer until it timed out and dropped the call.

Mentioned this in store when I went in, and was told "yes, it can be quite difficult to get through to the store" — in other words, they know about the problem and aren't *doing* anything about it.

And, just like JL, still charging premium prices (you can get the new Mac Pro up to £48k if you max it out!)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants