Posted 30th Dec 2021
I picked up an LG C1 48" for £799 in early Dec from John Lewis. I've been pondering whether or not to get the protect plus insurance on it. What is the general opinion on it here? Worth it or a waste of money? I know it all looks very good in their description of the cover,etc but don't know what if any pitfalls their are.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
12 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Do John Lewis not give a 5 year guarantee anyhow ?
  2. Avatar
    The protect plus provides accident cover. Worth it for the peace of mind imo if you have kids!
    Edited by: "Richie" 30th Dec 2021
  3. Avatar
    Author
    Bobster-cyw30/12/2021 09:58

Do John Lewis not give a 5 year guarantee anyhow ?

They do but that doesn't cover accidental damage and potentially more importantly for an OLED panel burn-in.
  4. Avatar
    The 5yr warranty does not cover burn in, only the extra warranty that you have to purchase covers that (and even then, I think it may only cover one instance of burn in over the extended warranty period)
  5. Avatar
    How much?
  6. Avatar
    Author
    IIRC £80 for the TV I got. On the surface it looks decent enough value. I just don't know if there is anything I'm ignorant of though as most things I buy are cheap enough that extended warranties aren't even a consideration. I don't know how likely they are to honour a claim or try to weasel out of it,etc.
  7. Avatar
    I bought the extended warranty purely for the burn in protection. I don't think they can weasel out of burn-in, as it is less subjective, compared to other things such as "accidents"
  8. Avatar
    Author
    I was thinking the same thing so had a google and there is some speculation they could try to claim burn in is the result of neglect by leaving the static image on screen,etc. Which is partly why I decided to hold off and ask here. I also grew up in the 80's/90's and always remember extended warranties being regarded as pretty much a scam.
  9. Avatar
    I totally get you. At the end of the day, there's no other solid burn in warranty out there, JL is the best I've seen or you're at the mercy of LG.
    £80 isn't much at the end of the day, but it will at least give you some firepower if anything does go wrong.

I do wonder if we'll be able to extend the JL warranty beyond 5 years
  10. Avatar
    I've had B7 Oled since April 2018 and no hint of burn in.

Only caveat is that I don't game on it so there are no static items on the screen.

I dont think burn in is so much of an issue on "modern" oleds compared to the first iteration of the tech.

11. Avatar
    I know someone with a C7 that has a LOT of burn in, mostly from a decent mix of kids watching on YouTube, Netflix logo burnt in (Netflix being their main TV content provider) and gaming. Mostly red pixels seem to be an issue. Their tv is on a lot, they have little kids at home during the day.
  12. Avatar
    kmogul 02/01/2022 12:37
    I know someone with a C7 that has a LOT of burn in, mostly from a decent mix of kids watching on YouTube, Netflix logo burnt in (Netflix being their main TV content provider) and gaming. Mostly red pixels seem to be an issue. Their tv is on a lot, they have little kids at home during the day.

Netflix logo? This doesn't appear on shows, only the menu. If you leave the menu on or a show paused it will display the fireworks screensaver after a few moments.

We watch a lot of netflix!

Post a comment
Top Merchants