Groups

John Lewis refuses to pay back unfulfilled order

The short version:

John Lewis refuses to honour their promise on the phone to repay the unfulfilled part of an order. Their administration is a complete chaos with e-mails sent to other people's address. What can I do?

The long version:

On Thursday 22nd June I ordered a two twin packs of Samsung SD cards as per recent deal. I added a towel for 3 pounds to make CC free. When I collected the order from the shop on Friday afternoon, only the towel was in the bag but not the SD cards. Unfortunately I discovered it when I came home and opened the bag. The enclosed invoice contained only the towel nothing about the SD cards. Of course the money was taken for the whole order.

I phoned JL immediately and they said that they had no idea what could have happened and promised that they would send me an e-mail with an explanation by Monday. The next day (Sat 24th) I got an e-mail notifying that "At the time of despatch, not all of the item(s) below were available for delivery. We will deliver the delayed item(s) when we receive stock into our warehouse." This is extremely helpful _after_ the collection!

On Monday 26th they sent an e-mail to my wife's private e-mail address (which had been used for a completely different order for school uniforms by my wife which I accidentally collected at the same time) apologizing for not having the sd cards and asking me to phone them back. Because I was by then reluctant to discuss anything on the phone I wrote them inquiring why I was not informed about the unfulfilled part of the order _before_ I went to collect it, why not when the order was handed over and how on earth they managed to send the apology to my wife's e-mail (I wonder if I had collected my neighbour's order at the same time would they have sent the e-mail to my neighbour???).

On Friday 30th they phoned me again, falsely claiming that they had informed me about the card not being available at the time of collection by e-mail and that the item was no longer available. I therefore requested a refund. They promised that they would refund as soon as possible but as it was Friday it might be only on Monday. This is now more than a week ago and there is still no money returned at all.

Last week I sent them another e-mail (as I don't believe their promises on the phone any longer) but they seem to ignore it completely.

What can I do? It was paid by Paypal. Shall I open a dispute with paypal?

13 Comments

Umm.. title says the refuse to refund, but at end of story it says they are refunding?

Original Poster

Refuse is perhaps not the best word (sorry, English is not my first language). They simply don't do it. According to their promise I should have got the money more than a week ago.

They're just being slow. Big business and all that. Keep calling them and it'll get sorted.

Original Poster

This is becoming more and more absurd. After I have posted this here, my wife got an e-mail telling her: “I have passed the information to get the items cancelled so you should get the money back to you account with in the next 3-5 working days.” Do they read this forum? I have never cancelled the order they did! And they promised the same thing 10 day ago!
    To me this resembles the practice of some dubitable Far-East companies who sell non-existing stock, take your money in full immediately, ignore requests for refunds and hope that the client will eventually give up.
    From this site I got the impression that JL had a reliable costumer service but the past three weeks have convinced me otherwise. At no point was any attempt to from JL acknowledge their fault or try to set it right.
    How on earth do they manage to remain in business with such practices?

juhaszgergely

At no point was any attempt to from JL acknowledge their fault or try to … At no point was any attempt to from JL acknowledge their fault or try to set it right.

From your OP...

On Monday 26th they sent an e-mail to my wife's private e-mail address … On Monday 26th they sent an e-mail to my wife's private e-mail address apologizing for not having the sd cards

and

They promised that they would refund as soon as possible

From your most recent comment...

my wife got an e-mail telling her: “I have passed the information to get t … my wife got an e-mail telling her: “I have passed the information to get the items cancelled so you should get the money back to you account with in the next 3-5 working days.”

They have admitted fault and offered to set it right by offering you a refund. What else do you realistically expect?

I accept that it is an irritating experience, but they have confirmed that they will deal with it.
    Edited by: "RossD89" 11th Jul

Original Poster

They have never acknowledged that they have been abusing my wife's e-mail address. Nor have they apologized for it.

juhaszgergely

They have never acknowledged that they have been abusing my wife's e-mail … They have never acknowledged that they have been abusing my wife's e-mail address. Nor have they apologized for it.

Abusing?

I think you are going a tad overboard there...
    Edited by: "RossD89" 11th Jul

Original Poster

I don't think so. In fact I think it is a breach of privacy. And after having complained the last time about it they again sent their message to an e-mail unrelated to this order. If I had collected my neighbour's or friend's order would they be now corresponding with them? It seems to me that their administration is a complete mess.

Get a grip...

juhaszgergely

I don't think so. In fact I think it is a breach of privacy. And after … I don't think so. In fact I think it is a breach of privacy. And after having complained the last time about it they again sent their message to an e-mail unrelated to this order. If I had collected my neighbour's or friend's order would they be now corresponding with them? It seems to me that their administration is a complete mess.

Okay, overboard may not be the correct word in this instance.

Ridiculous seems more accurate.

I have had issues with JL and Paypal refunds (twice) for quite large ££sums..Apparently there have been glitches between the refund process(es). I would contact them again and give your Paypal reference (+paypal email address) and your JL order number. You will get the refund. I would be polite though, no need to get annoyed over it, problems happen!

Are you sure you haven't given them both (or switched) yours and your wife's email addresses in the JL order process? I find this somewhat difficult to believe tbh. Deeeeeeeeep breath and 'count to 10' might help?!

juhaszgergely

I don't think so. In fact I think it is a breach of privacy. And after … I don't think so. In fact I think it is a breach of privacy. And after having complained the last time about it they again sent their message to an e-mail unrelated to this order. If I had collected my neighbour's or friend's order would they be now corresponding with them? It seems to me that their administration is a complete mess.

Original Poster

Thanks, Splodger101. It's good to know I am not the only one having problems with JL and that eventually you got your money back. And yes, I know that problems happen and I also know that best tactics is to remain calm and polite. I am just very much frustrated as I have spent already so much effort trying to get my money back and it does not seem to lead anywhere. I'll send them my paypal reference as you suggested.

And I am absolutely positive that I have not used my wife's e-mail address in the order process. The confirmation of the order was sent to my e-mail and so was the paypal receipt. Hers was paid by a bank card rather than paypal. The only connection was (besides our common street address) is that I picked up her order at the same time.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Why do people scam on Gumtree?33
      2. Anyone tried the Tyrells website for the mini competition?11
      3. A mini break to Edinburgh - recommendations for recommendations/area etc!46
      4. Anything better than allcast?33

See more discussions