John Lewis Warranty, Possible TV replacement

Found 21st Jun 2016
Hi just after some input or previous experiences dealing with John Lewis and their TV warranty so I know what to expect.

I've just had an attempted repair carried out on my 13 Month old Samsung UE65H8000 at home this afternoon. After some board swapping the repair people tell me that it needs a new LCD panel. They're trying to source one but they've warned me that if they find one it'll be mega expensive and John Lewis will probably decide to replace the entire TV rather than repair it.

If it comes to them deciding to replace it rather than carry out a repair will the replacement be of equal size and similar specification? Obviously I'm not expecting a current top spec Samsung but something along the lines of their cheapest 65 incher.
Community Updates
11 Comments
John Lewis couldn't repair our TV 3 months before 5 year warranty expired. 38 inch Toshiba had been discontinued, offered us a 40 inch Sony which was closest spec possible but only with remainder of warranty or we could choose something else and pay the difference which would include a new 5 year warranty. We chose a 50 inch Sony and paid the £50 difference. Service was excellent throughout.
The service I've had from John Lewis has been fab in the past with other issues, this is the first time I've had to deal with their Warranty and they've been on the ball and no complaints so far.

I am hoping for a rough equivalent replacement set but I suspect that won't happen. When I bought the Samsung it was in clearance and then price matched to another retailer so it was heavily discounted, the price I paid for it then is around £300 less than the cheapest 65 inch they currently have in stock. Not holding out much hope tbh
Had a great experience last year, 18month old Sony went tits up, they took it away and couldn't repair. Offered a similar spec or credit, went into store and came away with an extra £70 credit than originally offered and a soundbar. Couldn't fault it at all.
Allosunshine

Had a great experience last year, 18month old Sony went tits up, they … Had a great experience last year, 18month old Sony went tits up, they took it away and couldn't repair. Offered a similar spec or credit, went into store and came away with an extra £70 credit than originally offered and a soundbar. Couldn't fault it at all.

Was the cost of your replacement TV more than you paid for your original Sony?
You should have taken it back to John Lewis instead of attempting to open it yourself. They don't like ppl trying to repair things them self
physco786

You should have taken it back to John Lewis instead of attempting to open … You should have taken it back to John Lewis instead of attempting to open it yourself. They don't like ppl trying to repair things them self

I did....the people repairing it were sent by John Lewis and are Samsung authorised repairers.
Sorry, don't worry it's in the best hands
freakstyler

Was the cost of your replacement TV more than you paid for your original … Was the cost of your replacement TV more than you paid for your original Sony?

No, with Staff Discount (family member) original was £800, offered £630, TV was around that price maybe £600 and came away with £700 gift card which I was able to use to buy another TV with the discount again.
Allosunshine

No, with Staff Discount (family member) original was £800, offered £630, T … No, with Staff Discount (family member) original was £800, offered £630, TV was around that price maybe £600 and came away with £700 gift card which I was able to use to buy another TV with the discount again.

Thanks for that, sorry that was a bit cheeky of me to ask how much it was.

Found out earlier on that all they can offer me is a replacement upto the price I paid for the Samsung (If I want a better TV I can cover the shortfall) or a refund of £720 - £80 less than what I paid last year. Looks like I'll be taking the cash, I don't want to rush into buying a TV and regretting it later on.
They should offer you one equal too or better spec'd than your current one or a refund, You would be in your right to turn down the replacement if it is inferior etc..
shauneco

They should offer you one equal too or better spec'd than your current … They should offer you one equal too or better spec'd than your current one or a refund, You would be in your right to turn down the replacement if it is inferior etc..

Really? at no point was I offered like for like or a nearest equivalent, just the purchase price off a new TV or lower refund. Hmmm might give them another try tomorrow, I assumed what they offered me was based on the original price which is £300 lower than their cheapest 65" TV currently in stock.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants