Expired

John Lewis warranty problems, can't do like-for-like, what to do?

Found 23rd Aug 2013
Hello! I bought a Panasonic P42ST30 plasma tv from John Lewis through a deal on HUKD last year. The tv recently died in a spectacular way, leaving half the the screen blank. JL sent out an engineer who said a lot of the internals had fried and took it away. They later decided that it would cost more to fix than to give us a new television. Then they realised that they had no television in stock remotely the same size, type or value as our tv and said that we could choose any tv up to the same value from their stock or have our money back.

So, at the moment if we decide to have another tv from John Lewis, as we paid £450 for the tv, we can only have a LED non 3D tv and have lost out big-time on the value and quality of tv. If we decide to have a refund then we also lose out on the value and also don't get a 5 year warranty elsewhere.
What are our rights on this and what can we do? Try to make them order in a plasma especially for us and swallow the probably £250 difference? It doesn't seem like they'll do that. Could really use your advice and opinions! Thanks!
Community Updates
13 Comments
I would say they were being fair. If they dnt have anything similar try a search around richersounds let u buy 5 year warrenty if thats what u want. Bought a tv from tjhughes few years ago and called to try and get it fixed they just fobbed me off so ur one up on most.
nothing to do mate, they satisfy all the requirements in law by giving you your money back, as said have a shop round
Wouldn't it be best to take the money and buy a new TV off them and get a new 5yr warranty or will they give you another 5yr warranty if you take a TV exchange for the same money?
Richer Sounds don't have the equivalent either and if they did it would cost about £700 plus the cost of an extended warranty and we'd have to cough up extra money.

A tv blowing up after a year and a bit, modern tvs are rubbish X) I'm sorry to hear your experience, so yes in that respect I am lucky.
bo19991

Wouldn't it be best to take the money and buy a new TV off them and get a … Wouldn't it be best to take the money and buy a new TV off them and get a new 5yr warranty or will they give you another 5yr warranty if you take a TV exchange for the same money?

If we were to choose another tv it would be part of the same warranty unless we spent more than what we paid. Then it would qualify for a new warranty. If I take the money then buy again from scratch the only trouble is that it'll take a long time, and leave us without a tv. The repair place refused us a loan tv because they saw another tv in the house (a tiny kitchen tv).

I suppose what I'm disappointed about is that we've had our plasma tv taken away without having any say if we wanted to have it fixed in order to still have what we had before. Then been offered non 3d lcd tvs... making all our 3d stuff useless unless we spend more money elsewhere.
Edited by: "montblanc" 23rd Aug 2013
montblanc

If we were to choose another tv it would be part of the same warranty … If we were to choose another tv it would be part of the same warranty unless we spent more than what we paid. Then it would qualify for a new warranty. If I take the money then buy again from scratch the only trouble is that it'll take a long time, and leave us without a tv. The repair place refused us a loan tv because they saw another tv in the house (a tiny kitchen tv).I suppose what I'm disappointed about is that we've had our plasma tv taken away without having any say if we wanted to have it fixed in order to still have what we had before. Then been offered non 3d lcd tvs... making all our 3d stuff useless unless we spend more money elsewhere.

I agree it's not very fair
I think the only possible replacement from JL or Richer would be this johnlewis.com/pan…ack which is an LED tv. It seems that plasma is being quietly ushered out. Shopping around isn't really part of the equation because this tv dying randomly has shown us we need a 5 year warranty for peace of mind.
montblanc

I think the only possible replacement from JL or Richer would be this … I think the only possible replacement from JL or Richer would be this http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-l42e6b-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-42-with-freeview-hd/p231889200?colour=Black which is an LED tv.

OOS
hammeredpizza

OOS

Yeah :P Would have to settle to have that tv in white or silver
They only have to put you back in the same position , they are offering a refund so meeting there obligations under sales of goods act, they could even take some money off for the use you have had so are going beyond what they have to do.
You obviously got a bargain in the first place. You can't expect a retailer to replace like for like after this died after a years use, especially considering the fact you got the set in a promo.

In fact, after a year of use, they're being very fair by offering you the same amount you paid for it back.
moob

You obviously got a bargain in the first place. You can't expect a … You obviously got a bargain in the first place. You can't expect a retailer to replace like for like after this died after a years use, especially considering the fact you got the set in a promo.In fact, after a year of use, they're being very fair by offering you the same amount you paid for it back.

It has a five year warranty which states that they should fix it if it goes wrong in the first five years of usage. They decided they didn't want to pay to fix it. They would have replaced like-for-like if they actually had the same model still in stock or similar as I explained in the first post. I'm not faulting them on that, I'm not sure where you inferred that from.

The tv was between £450 and £550 at the time, tvs have just gone up in price since.

My original gripe was that I got no say in the matter over what happened to my tv. They took it away to fix it then said they'd replace it instead then offered a refund. While a refund is relatively fair, I can't get another tv for the same price that is in any way similar. I'd rather have the tv I paid for than a new tv or a refund. Wouldn't you want your tv back, fixed?

Anyway, I've had to take the refund as I can't order the 2013 model of my tv and pay the £150 difference to them and they don't have anything else. I'll have to sit on the money and hope something comes up at Richer Sounds as after this experience I'm insistent on a good warranty. John Lewis have extremely good customer support staff though, I got through quickly to someone in the UK each time and they were very helpful. It's a shame I can't stick with them!
You'll find there will be a clause in the warranty about beyond economical repair. So...if they can't repair it without it costing them too much. They won't.

Tv's haven't gone up in price, technology always goes down in price for features v money.

Like I said, given you've had a years use of the item (they're entitled to reduce the refund for wear and tear) you've done well getting a full refund, many other retailers wouldn't.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants