John lewis/dyson mistake

Posted 7th Dec 2019
I bought a v11 dyson on bf for missus first time she used it it broke called up john lewis said take back to store for replacement went to store who said couldn't replace because a small piece of lego was blocking an air cylinder so it is classed as misuse so after 2 hours with their managers and on phone to dyson they arranged to send out damaged part I complained you shouldn't market to mums if lego is going to be classed as misuse am I wrong or am I expecting too much that their hooves should last longer than 5 minutes
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
It obviously sucks up punctuation marks ok.
@taz9883sean
"...I expecting too much that their hooves should last longer than 5 minutes"

Horses for courses.
In all honesty I think you’d be stupid to hoover up a floor with a block of Lego there. that’s just asking for trouble. You wouldn’t leave stuff in your pockets and put clothes in a washing machine would you? Or just tip anything other than cool liquids down the sink without thinking first.
Suppose you could argue you’d not seen the Lego or it was deep in the pile of a rug or something but I don’t think you had a very strong case sorry to say. No vacuums are designed or marketed to pick up pieces of Lego.
Edited by: "speedemon" 7th Dec 2019
So let's see if I've got this right. You were hoovering up the floor and sucked up some Lego (which I think would count as a user error, you should look at the manual and see if there are warnings about picking things up before you start hoovering). You then took it back to John Lewis who contacted Dyson and arranged for a replacement part to be sent out to you replace the one that was broken.

I'm sorry, and I really don't mean any offence by this, but I don't see what the problem is. Your Dyson has been sorted out and you have a working one, that sounds fine to me.
41 Comments
You’re absolutely right, Vacuum cleaner should be able to clean normal environment which can include lego parts.
Unfortunately you are wrong. Common sense would have you pick up large pieces before vacuuming, so you don't block any pipes. Dysons are notorious for all the little pipes, valves and filters that can block and cause obstructions, though a piece of Lego damaging it seems a bit odd - unless the damage was done when trying to clear the blockage. This would be my argument, that the damage was caused by them trying to clear the blockage.

In my opinion, Dysons are are nothing but overhyped PITA. We have a Dyson 'animal' which is at the back of the cupboard now as we get better results with the Titan wet & dry from screwfix for about £35 (and no fighting with a hose that wants to shrink down all the time).
Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires products to be fit for purpose. Is a vacuum cleaner a suitable device to dispose of Lego? No doubt Mr. Dyson has an indication of what his machines are capable of (or not) in some t&c / manual; ask the merchant to show you the Lego exclusion in the documentation.
AndyRoyd07/12/2019 21:55

Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires products to be fit for purpose. Is a …Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires products to be fit for purpose. Is a vacuum cleaner a suitable device to dispose of Lego? No doubt Mr. Dyson has an indication of what his machines are capable of (or not) in some t&c / manual; ask the merchant to show you the Lego exclusion in the documentation.

They can't show every exclusion on the dulcimer - it would read like the encyclopedia Brittanica. Common sense says not to use it to pick up small hard pieces of plastic.
My good old Henry would’ve absolutely destroyed that piece of Lego, still going strong and god knows how old it is
Ringfinger07/12/2019 22:07

They can't show every exclusion on the dulcimer - it would read like the …They can't show every exclusion on the dulcimer - it would read like the encyclopedia Brittanica. Common sense says not to use it to pick up small hard pieces of plastic.

What if you tuned the dulcimer?
@taz9883sean
"...I expecting too much that their hooves should last longer than 5 minutes"

Horses for courses.

They can't show every exclusion on the dulcimer - it would read like the …They can't show every exclusion on the dulcimer - it would read like the encyclopedia Brittanica. Common sense says not to use it to pick up small hard pieces of plastic.

This will not be the first occurence of this or similar situation. Is it unlikely Mr D has not had his no doubt very capable legal term include a generic disclaimer within the applicable documentation, just like the disclaimers that suggests animals should not be placed in microwave ovens? The key requirement is to request the merchant shows the disclaimer, but if one is not presented...
In all honesty I think you’d be stupid to hoover up a floor with a block of Lego there. that’s just asking for trouble. You wouldn’t leave stuff in your pockets and put clothes in a washing machine would you? Or just tip anything other than cool liquids down the sink without thinking first.
Suppose you could argue you’d not seen the Lego or it was deep in the pile of a rug or something but I don’t think you had a very strong case sorry to say. No vacuums are designed or marketed to pick up pieces of Lego.
Edited by: "speedemon" 7th Dec 2019
So let's see if I've got this right. You were hoovering up the floor and sucked up some Lego (which I think would count as a user error, you should look at the manual and see if there are warnings about picking things up before you start hoovering). You then took it back to John Lewis who contacted Dyson and arranged for a replacement part to be sent out to you replace the one that was broken.

I'm sorry, and I really don't mean any offence by this, but I don't see what the problem is. Your Dyson has been sorted out and you have a working one, that sounds fine to me.
Haircut_10007/12/2019 22:46

So let's see if I've got this right. You were hoovering up the floor and …So let's see if I've got this right. You were hoovering up the floor and sucked up some Lego (which I think would count as a user error, you should look at the manual and see if there are warnings about picking things up before you start hoovering). You then took it back to John Lewis who contacted Dyson and arranged for a replacement part to be sent out to you replace the one that was broken. I'm sorry, and I really don't mean any offence by this, but I don't see what the problem is. Your Dyson has been sorted out and you have a working one, that sounds fine to me.

39290114-k56pz.jpg

Dulcimer?
39290225-cCsX5.jpgNot sure what a string instrument has to do with vacuum cleaners?
harlzter07/12/2019 23:25

Dulcimer?[Image] Not sure what a string instrument has to do with vacuum …Dulcimer?[Image] Not sure what a string instrument has to do with vacuum cleaners?

Typo... I could edit it, but then you'd look stupid and not me.
Big mistake buying a crappy Dyson. A Henry would suck up a whole box of Lego without issue.
psychobitchfromhell08/12/2019 01:01

Nothing personal to the poster but I have to smile at that.
"a small piece of lego was blocking an air cylinder" yet "Clearing blockages is not covered by your guarantee" pg11 opman Nov 2018, so obvsly Mr. D. declines responsibility but has made gesture of goodwill after being hounded for two hours. Maybe interpretation of CRA 2015 would be that a vacuum should not be expected to become blocked by a piece of lego and that a (premium?) product should be "fit for purpose" of vacuuming lego ? And there lies the quandary: no manufacturer warranty, but possibly contravening legislation by not being fit for vacuuming lego.
AndyRoyd08/12/2019 05:39

...but possibly contravening legislation by not being fit for vacuuming …...but possibly contravening legislation by not being fit for vacuuming lego.

So the easiest remedy is for OP to wear heavy disguise, visit another JL store and make a sales person aware of the requirement for a premium product that is capable of vacuuming lego without self-terminating and express an interest in the Direson v11. If the sales person suggests the Direson will be fit for that task, bingo:
"...Goods to be fit for particular purpose ... if before the contract is made the consumer makes known to the trader (expressly or by implication) any particular purpose for which the consumer is contracting for the goods."
Section 10 (1) CRA 2015 legislation.gov.uk/ukp…ted
or equally: the sales person may specifically not recommend the Direson, which would imply OP has unreasonable expectations.
Ringfinger07/12/2019 21:51

Unfortunately you are wrong. Common sense would have you pick up large …Unfortunately you are wrong. Common sense would have you pick up large pieces before vacuuming, so you don't block any pipes. Dysons are notorious for all the little pipes, valves and filters that can block and cause obstructions, though a piece of Lego damaging it seems a bit odd - unless the damage was done when trying to clear the blockage. This would be my argument, that the damage was caused by them trying to clear the blockage.In my opinion, Dysons are are nothing but overhyped PITA. We have a Dyson 'animal' which is at the back of the cupboard now as we get better results with the Titan wet & dry from screwfix for about £35 (and no fighting with a hose that wants to shrink down all the time).

But it wasnt large piece ir was a piece that had 2 circles on tiny bit of a wall small enough to get in large enough to get stuck

What if I didnt see the piece as it was small
speedemon07/12/2019 22:28

In all honesty I think you’d be stupid to hoover up a floor with a block o …In all honesty I think you’d be stupid to hoover up a floor with a block of Lego there. that’s just asking for trouble. You wouldn’t leave stuff in your pockets and put clothes in a washing machine would you? Or just tip anything other than cool liquids down the sink without thinking first. Suppose you could argue you’d not seen the Lego or it was deep in the pile of a rug or something but I don’t think you had a very strong case sorry to say. No vacuums are designed or marketed to pick up pieces of Lego.

It was a tiny piece 2 circles big not a massive brick
Haircut_10007/12/2019 22:46

So let's see if I've got this right. You were hoovering up the floor and …So let's see if I've got this right. You were hoovering up the floor and sucked up some Lego (which I think would count as a user error, you should look at the manual and see if there are warnings about picking things up before you start hoovering). You then took it back to John Lewis who contacted Dyson and arranged for a replacement part to be sent out to you replace the one that was broken. I'm sorry, and I really don't mean any offence by this, but I don't see what the problem is. Your Dyson has been sorted out and you have a working one, that sounds fine to me.

Problem is they claimed no exchange I had it 3 days it took 2 to 3 hours of arguing to get replacement part
taz9883sean08/12/2019 14:25

It was a tiny piece 2 circles big not a massive brick

A tiny big piece? Not sure it isn't unclear which option you don't want to not run with.
AndyRoyd08/12/2019 15:07

A tiny big piece? Not sure it isn't unclear which option you don't want to …A tiny big piece? Not sure it isn't unclear which option you don't want to not run with.

A tiny piece autocorrect put big in it was a tiny piece with 2 circles on
taz9883sean08/12/2019 15:12

A tiny piece autocorrect put big in it was a tiny piece with 2 circles on

A device that autocorrects tiny to big is probably more worthy of a 2-3 hr return argument than a lego-unfriendly Direson.
taz9883sean08/12/2019 14:24

How can they be responsible for your eyesight? And if you vacuum under furniture without looking you are asking for trouble. Irrespective of size, it's not designed to pick up Lego, or any plastic toys. A vacuum cleaner is for dust mainly, plus some are for pet hair (though some are not recommended for pet hair, and you would have a similar argument if you jammed the roller with hair.
Ringfinger08/12/2019 15:25

How can they be responsible for your eyesight? And if you vacuum under … How can they be responsible for your eyesight? And if you vacuum under furniture without looking you are asking for trouble. Irrespective of size, it's not designed to pick up Lego, or any plastic toys. A vacuum cleaner is for dust mainly, plus some are for pet hair (though some are not recommended for pet hair, and you would have a similar argument if you jammed the roller with hair.

But they have to expect some things like small lego getting stuck in there
AndyRoyd08/12/2019 15:15

A device that autocorrects tiny to big is probably more worthy of a 2-3 hr …A device that autocorrects tiny to big is probably more worthy of a 2-3 hr return argument than a lego-unfriendly Direson.

It didnt put tiny to big just put big I said item was tiny
taz9883sean08/12/2019 16:11

But they have to expect some things like small lego getting stuck in there

And part of their marketing is hoovering under beds and sofas with ease
taz9883sean08/12/2019 16:13

Sorry but I totally side with John Lewis / Dyson with this.

They are designed to suck up dust, fluff etc.

Not small pieces of Lego.

I feel it is your responsibility to make sure the floor is clear before you vacuum.

My Vax can handle Lego but not socks perhaps try another brand in future. I’ve had to unclog mine on a number of occasions but I wouldn’t blame the manufacturer when it’s my error.
myusernamehasgone23408/12/2019 16:29

Sorry but I totally side with John Lewis / Dyson with this.They are …Sorry but I totally side with John Lewis / Dyson with this.They are designed to suck up dust, fluff etc. Not small pieces of Lego.I feel it is your responsibility to make sure the floor is clear before you vacuum.My Vax can handle Lego but not socks perhaps try another brand in future. I’ve had to unclog mine on a number of occasions but I wouldn’t blame the manufacturer when it’s my error.

I do clear the floor but I dont make sure it is pristine before hoovering that negates hoovering and I couldn't remove lego because it wouldn't open when a fault is shown all other brands I have tried had no problem with Lego (not that I usually hoover up lego) but it does happen
taz9883sean08/12/2019 16:51

I do clear the floor but I dont make sure it is pristine before hoovering …I do clear the floor but I dont make sure it is pristine before hoovering that negates hoovering and I couldn't remove lego because it wouldn't open when a fault is shown all other brands I have tried had no problem with Lego (not that I usually hoover up lego) but it does happen

Yes I’m sure anyone with kids has accidentally vacuumed up Lego at some point but you have to accept some responsibility here and from the other comments am not the only one who thinks that.

taz9883sean08/12/2019 16:13

taz9883sean08/12/2019 14:24

You are just looking for excuses.
myusernamehasgone23408/12/2019 17:02

Yes I’m sure anyone with kids has accidentally vacuumed up Lego at some p …Yes I’m sure anyone with kids has accidentally vacuumed up Lego at some point but you have to accept some responsibility here and from the other comments am not the only one who thinks that. You are just looking for excuses.

No I am not and from some of the other comments I am just expecting a hoover fit for purpose when spending £500+ on it
taz9883sean08/12/2019 18:04

No I am not and from some of the other comments I am just expecting a …No I am not and from some of the other comments I am just expecting a hoover fit for purpose when spending £500+ on it

If you review the operating instructions / warranty terms you will see Direson state that an issue related to a vacuumed item that is capable of causing a blockage "is not covered by your guarantee", ergo:
the device is not suitable for vacuuming any item that may cause a blockage.
You do not need to state what will or will not cause a blockage, just appreciate that the statement means what it says. It is difficult to argue that a device is not fit for purpose if the expected purpose is excluded from the list of what is fit.
AndyRoyd09/12/2019 05:06

If you review the operating instructions / warranty terms you will see …If you review the operating instructions / warranty terms you will see Direson state that an issue related to a vacuumed item that is capable of causing a blockage "is not covered by your guarantee", ergo: the device is not suitable for vacuuming any item that may cause a blockage.You do not need to state what will or will not cause a blockage, just appreciate that the statement means what it says. It is difficult to argue that a device is not fit for purpose if the expected purpose is excluded from the list of what is fit.

But as I am not a dyson engineer how do I know what will cause a blockage even the dyson rep said how strange it was
Surely common sense will tell you that it's not designed for Lego. The V11 has a blockage indicator and cuts out when it detects a blockage to prevent damage. It's also a straight tube to the filter, so the damage would have to be in the head or the machine would have to be run without a filter somehow. Where was the blockage? What was the damage? How clean was the filter (when was it last cleaned)? Was the damage caused by the machine Sucking it in, by continuing to use it with a blockage or during removal.
You keep posting on here, trying to justify your lambasting of Dyson, I personally have nothing but bad experiences with Dyson so I wouldn't buy another one - Ever. If you are truly unhappy with it, and feel justified and righteous enough, return it as not for for purpose.
There are consumer groups that will help you fight for your rights. I suggest you contact one of them.

It's beginning to sound like you've spent a lot of money on a 'toy', now regret it, and want your money back somehow.
taz9883sean09/12/2019 07:09

But as I am not a dyson engineer how do I know what will cause a blockage

You take reasonable precautions, bit like considering how deep a puddle may be before stepping into it wearing your new wellingtons. Or would you spend 2 hours kicking off at the wellington manufacturer if the puddle depth you didn't bother check was so deep the water poured in over the top of your wellies?
AndyRoyd09/12/2019 11:31

You take reasonable precautions, bit like considering how deep a puddle …You take reasonable precautions, bit like considering how deep a puddle may be before stepping into it wearing your new wellingtons. Or would you spend 2 hours kicking off at the wellington manufacturer if the puddle depth you didn't bother check was so deep the water poured in over the top of your wellies?

Considering every other hoover has sucked up bigger lego pieces no problem and I didnt see this piece plus the fact it was my first dyson I didnt know that it couldn't handle tiny piece of lego
taz9883sean09/12/2019 17:32

Considering every other hoover has sucked up bigger lego pieces no problem …Considering every other hoover has sucked up bigger lego pieces no problem and I didnt see this piece plus the fact it was my first dyson I didnt know that it couldn't handle tiny piece of lego

There's your answer... Dump the Dyson and buy one of 'the other' hoovers.
Did you not check the reviews before buying it? Only 2 stars on Trust pilot.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions