Join Visible On Newly Fitted Carpet

Found 25th Jan
Hi Everyone

I have just had a carpet fitted which we bought ourselves and paid a fitter off My Builder to fit, the only join he has done is extremely visible.

I have attached a picture to see what people think. The two parts that join are not level and I see it every time you walk out the bedroom door. I have had carpets fitted before and cannot see the join at all!

Do you think I can ask him to re-do it? He needs to come back as there are issues with the stairs and living room being baggy at the edges and easily lifting up.

2883515-Hs6Mq.jpg2883515-xjJGC.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
Why did you get it split? Could you not get one piece for the whole hallway?

Looks ok because you can’t blend the two pieces together
Edited by: "maionline1" 25th Jan
To be fair joins are always going to be more visible in plain carpets.

Does the pile run the same way in the two joined pieces - it looks like it may not?

It is unfortunately a bad place to have a join - at a doorway, they are normally positioned to one side.

I guess you measured up the carpet yourself - the carpet fitter may have had to work with the amount of carpet you had available.
Looks to me like he has done the best he can given joining two pieces of carpets together is normally only done either at a sharp corner on the stairs or with a threshold strip. I can see that starting to fray after a few weeks though
He’s done a better job than whoever did the painting #UnevenLines
Original Poster
Van197315 m ago

To be fair joins are always going to be more visible in plain carpets.Does …To be fair joins are always going to be more visible in plain carpets.Does the pile run the same way in the two joined pieces - it looks like it may not? It is unfortunately a bad place to have a join - at a doorway, they are normally positioned to one side. I guess you measured up the carpet yourself - the carpet fitter may have had to work with the amount of carpet you had available.

He came round to measure and told me exactly what to order. I have had joins before in a plain carpet and couldn't tell you where they are. He did advise we would have a join but said it would be heat sealed and not noticeable

One of the carpets is more raised than the other and can feel the difference when you run your hand over it.

Unfortunately I haven't checked if the pile runs in the same way and can't check until tomorrow. It has been a house of horrors and we haven't been able to move in yet.

When he comes back to fix the other issues should I ask him to join that part again? Would it be easy enough for him to have another go?
Lilrach4 m ago

He came round to measure and told me exactly what to order. I have had …He came round to measure and told me exactly what to order. I have had joins before in a plain carpet and couldn't tell you where they are. He did advise we would have a join but said it would be heat sealed and not noticeable One of the carpets is more raised than the other and can feel the difference when you run your hand over it.Unfortunately I haven't checked if the pile runs in the same way and can't check until tomorrow. It has been a house of horrors and we haven't been able to move in yet.When he comes back to fix the other issues should I ask him to join that part again? Would it be easy enough for him to have another go?

If he measured up then he's done a bad job - a pro would know where not to put a join, as well as know how to do it well!

I suppose you need to give him a go to put it right but guess you may need someone else in to put it right (if possible) as I suspect the fitter is not up to the job!

A heat sealed joint is just using hot melt glue - it can be softened and undone with heat.
Original Poster
kashmemon6 m ago

He’s done a better job than whoever did the painting #UnevenLines

Haha that is going asap! 🤢
Original Poster
Van19734 m ago

If he measured up then he's done a bad job - a pro would know where not to …If he measured up then he's done a bad job - a pro would know where not to put a join, as well as know how to do it well!I suppose you need to give him a go to put it right but guess you may need someone else in to put it right (if possible) as I suspect the fitter is not up to the job!A heat sealed joint is just using hot melt glue - it can be softened and undone with heat.

Thank you for coming back to me. All of the edges are so loose, he will need to go around and tighten all of the rooms. I just don't trust him any more.

When we got in contact to say we weren't happy he gave the excuse of the carpet was cold and stiff so now it has softened it will loosen!

If he says that is the best he can do can we ask for some money back to get someone else in?
Lilrach11 m ago

.When we got in contact to say we weren't happy he gave the excuse of the ….When we got in contact to say we weren't happy he gave the excuse of the carpet was cold and stiff so now it has softened it will loosen!

That's sounds correct.
Am no expert on carpet fitting but I wouldn't be paying him for that effort.
Original Poster
paulj486 m ago

That's sounds correct.

Do you think? I thought it was just an excuse rather than the truth
Original Poster
DKLS6 m ago

Am no expert on carpet fitting but I wouldn't be paying him for that …Am no expert on carpet fitting but I wouldn't be paying him for that effort.

Unfortunately we had already paid before we saw it. The fitter changed the day he could make it and we couldn't get the day off work. As the house is empty we let him in and left him to it but requested the money before we left.

We are really angry with ourselves for doing it
It may be partly true but you still need to be concerned. See how well he corrects the job. If still not to your satisfaction you need to let him know and play it from there. I assume you have already paid him - realistically it will be difficult to get any money back if he refuses to refund you - but that shouldn't stop you trying.

What thickness underlay do you have? 11mm is commonly available but a fitter told me never to use more than 9mm as otherwise it can cause the carpet to become loose as it is too thick for the grippers and hence difficult for the carpet to grip tight!

Good luck!
Lilrach6 m ago

Unfortunately we had already paid before we saw it. The fitter changed the …Unfortunately we had already paid before we saw it. The fitter changed the day he could make it and we couldn't get the day off work. As the house is empty we let him in and left him to it but requested the money before we left.We are really angry with ourselves for doing it

If you end up with no refund just put it down to experience - we've all done it, all made mistakes in trusting someone we shouldn't have!
joins in carpets are always visible. we used to pay for the carpet to be fitted by a fitter that we knew as he was extremely good but even joins were visible.

the moral of the story is, just don't have a join, unless it is out of sight.
Lilrach7 m ago

Unfortunately we had already paid before we saw it. The fitter changed the …Unfortunately we had already paid before we saw it. The fitter changed the day he could make it and we couldn't get the day off work. As the house is empty we let him in and left him to it but requested the money before we left.We are really angry with ourselves for doing it

Expensive lesson!, but don't feel too bad am sure we have all been there, I know I have been taken in by a tradesmans patter, glossy brochures and then being let down by the quality of the work. Next time try to hold at least some of the money back until its been completed to your satisfaction.
My builder has a review section if you dont get a good second chance with this guy at least leave an honest review stops someone else falling faul and gives the better fitters a chance of work
If he was cheaper than a professional carpet fitter then you probably got the best of his ability and what you paid for. I would live with it for 18 months and then get some new carpet or laminate flooring. And at least next time you know not to ask him. You could try a lower watt light bulb that way it will be less visible.....
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 25th Jan
Original Poster
larrylightweight8 m ago

My builder has a review section if you dont get a good second chance with …My builder has a review section if you dont get a good second chance with this guy at least leave an honest review stops someone else falling faul and gives the better fitters a chance of work

I definitely will. I went with him because he has nearly 400 reviews and all of them are 100%, surely I can't be the only one to have issues with his fitting
Original Poster
SOUTHWALES11 m ago

If he was cheaper than a professional carpet fitter then you probably got …If he was cheaper than a professional carpet fitter then you probably got the best of his ability and what you paid for. I would live with it for 18 months and then get some new carpet or laminate flooring. And at least next time you know not to ask him. You could try a lower watt light bulb that way it will be less visible.....

He charged us £3.50 per sqmtr which going off other prices is on the higher side but because of his 100% reviews decided to go with him.
Thank you for the advice on the bulb, hadn't thought of that but seems a good idea
Edited by: "Lilrach" 25th Jan
We had a plain carpet with a join and was hardly visible unless you knew where to look
That job looks like a poor effort , the join doesn't even look straight
Original Poster
Van197354 m ago

It may be partly true but you still need to be concerned. See how well …It may be partly true but you still need to be concerned. See how well he corrects the job. If still not to your satisfaction you need to let him know and play it from there. I assume you have already paid him - realistically it will be difficult to get any money back if he refuses to refund you - but that shouldn't stop you trying.What thickness underlay do you have? 11mm is commonly available but a fitter told me never to use more than 9mm as otherwise it can cause the carpet to become loose as it is too thick for the grippers and hence difficult for the carpet to grip tight! Good luck!

Ah I wonder if that could be an issue then. We went with the underlay he suggested of 10mm and now we can't shut any doors lol.

You have been fantastic with your advice and have made me feel much better, thank you so much
Lilrach3 h, 0 m ago

Do you think? I thought it was just an excuse rather than the truth

Every carpet fitter who’s fitted carpets for me have always asked for the heating to be put on to warm the rooms.

Also, did he use a power stretcher or just a knee kicker? Probably the latter.
Edited by: "paulj48" 25th Jan
on the other side what is my builder, i looking for someone to do just a tiny hall way
jonmarz8929 m ago

on the other side what is my builder, i looking for someone to do just a …on the other side what is my builder, i looking for someone to do just a tiny hall way

website to find someone to quote for your posted job, myworkman is also another good website which i tend to use. you get to read the reviews that other people have left on their work before you shortlist the tradesman.

they tend to quote for big jobs, so you may find no one will quote for a small job, but certainly worth a try. it is free for you to post a job.

mybuilder.com/

myworkman.co.uk/
mutley110 m ago

website to find someone to quote for your posted job, myworkman is also …website to find someone to quote for your posted job, myworkman is also another good website which i tend to use. you get to read the reviews that other people have left on their work before you shortlist the tradesman.they tend to quote for big jobs, so you may find no one will quote for a small job, but certainly worth a try. it is free for you to post a job.https://www.mybuilder.com/https://www.myworkman.co.uk/

what does 2 or wat ever pound lead mean, i was hopping to see how much job cost
We have had carpets joined in the past where our cat had damaged a section , and the carpet fitter carried out a repair , he made it invisible , however to a certain extent I would assume the design of the carpet would have something to do with how good a finish you get . We also have a join on our landing carpet which is invisible too , that's a plain carpet with a short pile .

Pwrsonally I'm very sceptical about a lot of the trust a trader type sites , as it's almost impossible to get a negative review published on a lot of them . We found to our cost after employing someone to put up a new Ariel , terrible job done, overcharged and bad advice , but 100% good reviews on site we used. Later found he has a bad reputation locally . We try to use all tradesmen recommended by word of mouth if possible
jonmarz8952 m ago

what does 2 or wat ever pound lead mean, i was hopping to see how much job …what does 2 or wat ever pound lead mean, i was hopping to see how much job cost

Are you referring to something mentioned on the website? You have to post a description of your job, then wait for tradesmen to express an interest and quote you their fee for doing the job. If you want to hire them then you instruct them to carry out the work
Lilrach19 h, 38 m ago

I definitely will. I went with him because he has nearly 400 reviews and …I definitely will. I went with him because he has nearly 400 reviews and all of them are 100%, surely I can't be the only one to have issues with his fitting

When you do his review leave a picture, that will get him off his butt and he will sort the problem out
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants