Groups

Jury Duty - Call Up

Well another letter arrived this morning, after i showed i wasn't available to attend a couple of years back.

I'm in Birmingham at uni at the moment, and the letter has been sent to my home address 100 miles away, so i guess that classifies as an exemption.

However, does anyone have any experiences of jury duty, i think i would like to do it, and would be a good learning experience, but i'm not sure.

24 Comments

Banned

Id love to do it, would be really interesting

a friend of mine had to do it while he was at uni...the uni ened up saying if it went on much longer he would have to drop out for the year and start it again as he had to miss so much work!...thankfully the case ended and he idnt need to drop out!

i did it at Warwick court. I'd love to do it again - they pay for your travel/food/loss of earnings and a lot of the time you get to leave early as well. there's a lot of hanging around though so if anyone is called to do it I suggest they take a book or something to keep themselves occupied!

Banned

i did it in cardiff, i was only 19 at the time so it was a great experience! I would love to do it again, its great to see how the system works ( or sometimes doesnt!!) in this country

I did it 2 months ago it was a great experience

gemz700;4396324

i did it at Warwick court. I'd love to do it again - they pay for your … i did it at Warwick court. I'd love to do it again - they pay for your travel/food/loss of earnings and a lot of the time you get to leave early as well. there's a lot of hanging around though so if anyone is called to do it I suggest they take a book or something to keep themselves occupied!

+1

And it was brilliant saying to some scum looking pedo that he was guilty on 72 counts was the best feeling ever although I will remember those pictures found on his computer till i die, the most horrific and disturbing images of young kids you can imagine :x

My dad did it a few months back but i've never had to yet.

The case he was on involved some scumbag who crept into his neighbours house and she woke up with him on her bed. His claim was he climbed through her window as he thought he saw a burglar but as it was raining he took his wet pants off and then accidentally fell asleep next to the neighbour on her bed because he was tired when he went to check on her. :?

I did a 2 week stint at Brum last year. Hanging about most of the time but the Jurers lounge was nice with Tv's a pool table & food counter. Was back home by 2pm every day apart from when I got called up for a case which only lasted 2 days.

My advice: Go for it if you can. A great experience & a real eye opener.

i have also did it at leicester crown court bout 3 - 4 yrs back the case lasted 6 months. But they do pay ur wages up to a certain point, £5 a day on food and travel expenses :thumbsup:

Banned

Jumpingphil;4397363

I would hate to do it.If it is not a clear cut case like the ones above … I would hate to do it.If it is not a clear cut case like the ones above seem to be, how am I supposed to decide who is guilty.Invariably one side is lying. So is it just who has the better lawyers that get the verdict they wanted.Take a rape case for example. She says she was raped, he says she agreed to it.Who is telling the truth. I wasn't there, so how can I decide.And what about a case where the defendant is 8 feet 14 inches and built like a brick out house.What if you have to find him guilty and he looks you right in the eye and says " See you when I get out". Is it worth the aggro.

its not as bad as that and once you get into the discussion room, everyone says what they think, what problems they are having etc etc it eventually becomes clear. Trust me i was thinking exactly the same as you but there is such a good mix of people on the jury that it is not that difficult. With regards to getting threatened, its not likely to happen and if it does what are th chances of him finding you again!!!
    It might not be worth the aggro but if you get called up to jury service there is not a lot you can do to get out of it.
    I got called up in the january but said i could not do it because of college exams, a few weeks later i received a letter saying i had to do it in the august.
    I was worried but once you get in there, everyone is in the same boat. Its just really exciting and you learn a lot.

I would love to do it again, no hesitations.

lil_tiger;4396189

a friend of mine had to do it while he was at uni...the uni ened up … a friend of mine had to do it while he was at uni...the uni ened up saying if it went on much longer he would have to drop out for the year and start it again as he had to miss so much work!...thankfully the case ended and he idnt need to drop out!

whew that would have been worrying!

Original Poster

How long do in the court hearing sessions last, what if you need a toilet break, do they have to stop everything?

Jumpingphil;4397363

I would hate to do it.If it is not a clear cut case like the ones above … I would hate to do it.If it is not a clear cut case like the ones above seem to be, how am I supposed to decide who is guilty.Invariably one side is lying. So is it just who has the better lawyers that get the verdict they wanted.Take a rape case for example. She says she was raped, he says she agreed to it.Who is telling the truth. I wasn't there, so how can I decide.And what about a case where the defendant is 8 feet 14 inches and built like a brick out house.What if you have to find him guilty and he looks you right in the eye and says " See you when I get out". Is it worth the aggro.

Possibly both sides may be telling the truth too and the world as they see it just doesn't jar together. But if there is clear evidence to back up the case ( and not just a witness, these can be bought ) then thats the guiding line I think.

I havent done jury duty. All the people I have known personally who have done it have been much older than myself. I'm thinking maybe they don't call people with young children?

I'd have to try it before I could tell you if I'd like it! :-D

Banned

the case i was on was fraud and it was a big case. 3 men had been duping people out of thousands of pounds by opening up mortgage companies etc etc.

The amount of bank statements we had to go through was unbelievable but after looking at everything it was clear that they were guilty. there were files and files worth of bank statements, cheque books, paying in slips, letters.
    I was thinking "oh my god" where do i start!!

Originally it seemed confusing but it does all make sense eventually and to see these men up in the dock trying to make themselves look innocent is quite disturbing, the whole desperateness of it all.
    My case went on for three weeks so i was there a month in total (started it on my second week)

I did get on a case in the first week but i knew the boy who was up on charge of assault. I didnt know him personally but i had played basketball against him a few times and therefore could not get on the jury, i didnt like the boy when i was younger as he was trouble back then.

hi just wondered when u filled in your expensises form did u give all your bus/train tickets or just one?

My mum got called up for a case a few years back. Someone had burgled Ally McLeod's (Scotland manager - Argentina 78 - Ally's Tartan Army) house and part of what was taken was his footballing medals.

Guy turns up at a LOCAL pawn shop a few days later and tries to get cash for them. Shop owner goes through the back to phone for a "second opinion" and the police turn up to catch the thief still holding the medals.

Guys side of the story was that the police had turned up and planted the medals on him. All a put up job, guv, honest as the day is long, me!!! Found guilty as charged (after a very short discussion) and then suddenly he wanted 27 other cases to be taken into account.

Mum had a great time, much better than being at work.

julie!!!!!;4780950

hi just wondered when u filled in your expensises form did u give all … hi just wondered when u filled in your expensises form did u give all your bus/train tickets or just one?

Yes you will need to include all your bus/train tickets when you claim.

i did it first week in feb this yr did two cases, 1 lasted a day one three days, was an experience, can be a bit boring waiting etc, funny u can hear lots of noises from other jurors, especially hungry stomachs...

ok wasnt sure as it says supply an example of each type of ticket that you have used so didnt know if one would be good enough.

blobbyrob;4781111

Yes you will need to include all your bus/train tickets when you claim.

I didn't - they just asked for one days tickets as proof of your daily claim......

I was looking forward to the experience of jury duty. I turned up on the Monday, spent two whole days in the jury waiting room then was told that we would not be needed. I was left with the feeling that because service is compulsory, jurors are regarded as only slightly above defendants in the court hierarchy. Expenses are minimal - approx £5 a day - barely 3 cups of coffee in the court canteen. I was only allowed the lower mileage allowance as technically public transport was available even though this involved two hours each way with bus changes and requiring local knowledge.

my mum had to do it when i was about 13 and it made her ill, i think she was put on a bad case and couldnt stop thinking about it x I dont think i would like to do it x

Original Poster

In the end, i went for an exclusion, rather than a deferral.

Maybe i'll get another chance in a few years time, when things are more suitable. :thumbsup:

my mum is doing it in Liverpool at the moment, she got picked for a 4 month case, lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1948
      2. word association Game73944533
      3. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927371
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767359

See more discussions