Jury service

Found 21st Sep 2017
Hi I have been selected for Jury service beginning next month and both the paperwork and experience from people I know that have been selected suggest that it lasts two weeks. My contracted hours include working every weekend so if this is the case with my working pattern (friday to tuesday) I could be 'working' 19 days straight if not longer depending on the case. My supervisor ( I work for the NHS so not a small business/company) has told me that I will have to either have to work through or use my annual leave at the weekends. However I feel that as jury duty is compulsory and if I worked mon-fri they would pay me for all my shifts I am being penalised for working the weekends and they should let me have the weekend off without using my leave. My work colleagues and family agree but I know they they are biased so any thoughts from an outside perspective are welcomed.
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
Do you belong to a union?
I have done jury service and I get what you are saying, however, I think this might just be one of those unfortunate situations that you will have to deal with.

While you class your time in jury service as "working" it is not really anything like that and you could find yourself sitting around and waiting a lot. In fact, you may not even get on a case.

It is not ideal but that is the way it is. I was in college when I was asked to do mine 14 years ago and they originally wanted to me to go during exam time. The hassle I had to go through to prove that I was sitting exams was incredible but it then got deferred until the summer. Essentially, what I am saying is that you are more than likely going to have to put up with it.

However, what I will say is enjoy it. The experience is amazing, I would do it again tomorrow if I could.
Jury service takes as long as it takes, just hope you don't get a long trial.

FYI - If your employer won't give you time off this is one of the things that can be used to delay or be excused from dury service.

gov.uk/jur…ice
Edited by: "4Real2016" 21st Sep 2017
cliosport65 yes I do belong to a union I just wanted to see if people would tell me I was being unreasonable before seeing them.
brettytopbanana I have been told it is very rewarding and I am looking forward to it.

I think using the word 'working' to describe it may have been misleading I have been told there will be alot of waiting and sitting around so it is not comparable to a working day.

The issue I have is that if I am selected and it lasts for two weeks I will have 19 days straight without a day off. My job is 8 hours a day without a break constantly on my feet so jury duty will be a welcome change.
4Real2016 thankyou but my employer will give me the time off my issue is that as I work every weekend if I am selected and it lasts two weeks I will have 19 days non stop without a day off. I also only have 2 days annual leave not already booked so if I have to use them for this I have no leave left.
madmaggs5 m ago

4Real2016 thankyou but my employer will give me the time off my issue is …4Real2016 thankyou but my employer will give me the time off my issue is that as I work every weekend if I am selected and it lasts two weeks I will have 19 days non stop without a day off. I also only have 2 days annual leave not already booked so if I have to use them for this I have no leave left.

Yeah sorry missed you work Friday to Tuesday
Jury service is Monday-Friday 10.00-17.00 and therefore you are able to work the weekends and I think it is not unreasonable for you to do jury service and attend work then. If you get on a case where they adjourn for a day or two you would be expected to go back to your job on those days too.
Mention "Jury nullification" when being selected. You'll be excluded instantly.
madmaggs1 h, 0 m ago

brettytopbanana I have been told it is very rewarding and I am looking …brettytopbanana I have been told it is very rewarding and I am looking forward to it. I think using the word 'working' to describe it may have been misleading I have been told there will be alot of waiting and sitting around so it is not comparable to a working day. The issue I have is that if I am selected and it lasts for two weeks I will have 19 days straight without a day off. My job is 8 hours a day without a break constantly on my feet so jury duty will be a welcome change.

I wouldn't say it was rewarding! i found it very boring - lots of waiting around waiting for a case then when on one in court for just approximately an hour then a break. Overall just about 4 hours in court each day - not hard work but draining!

There must be a precident within the NHS for people in your situation. Check with personell or as mentioned above your Union. Perhaps you could offer to swap some shifts.
adam_holcombe1 h, 30 m ago

Mention "Jury nullification" when being selected. You'll be excluded …Mention "Jury nullification" when being selected. You'll be excluded instantly.

see here
The NHS has enough issues without dishing out free annual leave.

I wouldn't go to either the Union or HR with this one. 19 days straight is a doddle.
Just don’t respond they can’t prove you received the letter and do not have the resources to chase it up.
My wife was called last year, caught a major fraud trail and was there over 3 months. It's pot luck!
i agree with one of the poster above. if you are not on jury service during the weekends then you should work the weekends. employers lose a lot of money when someone has to go on jury service so when you are not on jury service you should go to work.

only happens once in a lifetime so don't get too worked up about it.
When I did jury service I was only working 2 days a week so I had to give up my other 3 days and could only claim to get back lost wages for 2 days. Maybe you can negotiate for the weekends off unpaid.
Hope your not on service as long as these,

bbc.co.uk/new…653
madmaggs7 h, 46 m ago

cliosport65 yes I do belong to a union I just wanted to see if people …cliosport65 yes I do belong to a union I just wanted to see if people would tell me I was being unreasonable before seeing them.

My advice speak to them as they will be able to assist you much better with the proper information

From what you have said you will need your work days adjusted, what does your handbook say.

You are not been unreasonable at all you raise a fair point.
Edited by: "cliosport65" 21st Sep 2017
Merely FYI, jury service is not once in a lifetime, can be requested to do it multiple times, I did it once, and was contacted again, for another session 6 years after... -IT is a faff, I will never do it again.
According to ACAS:
  • Employers must allow an employee time off for jury service, although employee's can ask for a delay if it will harm the business, but can only delay once in a 12 month period.

And according to the government:
You must allow an employee time off if they’re called up to serve on a jury.

You can’t discriminate against your employee for going on jury service.

If you dismiss your employee for going on jury service they could take you to an employment tribunal.

But not sure how this applies in your case if you're not on jury service at the weekend.
After my experience at old bailey I wouldn't do it again. People get away with murder, literally!
(Depending what idiots or strong characters are part of the jury, it can have a big sometimes devistating affect on outcome)
renoman2 h, 33 m ago

Merely FYI, jury service is not once in a lifetime, can be requested to do …Merely FYI, jury service is not once in a lifetime, can be requested to do it multiple times, I did it once, and was contacted again, for another session 6 years after... -IT is a faff, I will never do it again.

After undertaking Jury Service you are only excused for the next 2 years! After that you have the same chance of being called up as anyone else! Agree it is a faff.
Van19732 h, 38 m ago

After undertaking Jury Service you are only excused for the next 2 years! …After undertaking Jury Service you are only excused for the next 2 years! After that you have the same chance of being called up as anyone else! Agree it is a faff.

I can vouch for the ignore method if they do contact again. I decided I didn’t want to get involved ignored it and it worked
mutley121st Sep 2017

i agree with one of the poster above. if you are not on jury service …i agree with one of the poster above. if you are not on jury service during the weekends then you should work the weekends. employers lose a lot of money when someone has to go on jury service so when you are not on jury service you should go to work.only happens once in a lifetime so don't get too worked up about it.

Probably a little while ago this post but I don't agree with your comment. Its a long time to be expected to work in a row and this person works in the NHS, if the case they were sat on was affecting them emotionally then that could have a negative impact on their work. If they then are dealing with other peoples lives through their duties this could have an adverse affect to the general community.
Edited by: "loopylloyd" 14th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants