Jury Service - Its not actually that satisfying sending some one to prison after all

34 replies
Found 6th Nov 2009
I was on Jury service this week.

I spent three days hearing evidence from the prosecution

The accused had declined to make any comment in his defence (which was the biggest issue i had with the whole thing) but we had to decide if he was guilty or not.

The jury decided on a majority that he was guilty which meant he is likely to go to prison.

as a regular viewer of crime shows i thought it would be easy, but when you have to decide based on a limited version of events, its actually very hard.

Anyone else had this experience?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
34 Comments

nope we found ours not guilty on lack of evidence......... enjoyed jury service though

massmail666;6804461

what crime was it?

yeah what did he do?

Sloth/Mod

Don't worry..........it's like Butlins.

They'll probably thank you for it.

Original Poster

massmail666;6804461

what crime was it?

victim had been attacked with a hammer - we had to be sure this guy was the attacker based on the evidece

to answer above..... I think it would be CONFIDENTIAL....

and to answer OP ....

making a real life decision is always going to be harder than watching it on tv , and tbh, if you thought you would find it easy then i am quite shocked, when your a jury member you are affecting someones and many other peoples lives, this is why you will find it hard, however if the person 'did the crime in your eyes.... then they must do the time'

looks like we know what happened?! i thought cases were confidential though.... maybe this was just the case i know someone ws involved in

Original Poster

yeah - i have a real issue with this as i could easily run into anyone from the trial if i go shopping

Original Poster

asayer;6804490

to answer above..... I think it would be CONFIDENTIAL....and to answer OP … to answer above..... I think it would be CONFIDENTIAL....and to answer OP ....making a real life decision is always going to be harder than watching it on tv , and tbh, if you thought you would find it easy then i am quite shocked, when your a jury member you are affecting someones and many other peoples lives, this is why you will find it hard, however if the person 'did the crime in your eyes.... then they must do the time'

I expected the decision to be easier in light of a solid case built on a strong evidential background - the Police were the real criminals here - messing up on the most vital of details makeing it a really difficult decision where it could have never even been put before a jury

Original Poster

srw_topbloke;6804528

I expected the decision to be easier in light of a solid case built on a … I expected the decision to be easier in light of a solid case built on a strong evidential background - the Police were the real criminals here - messing up on the most vital of details makeing it a really difficult decision where it could have never even been put before a jury

yah i sat jury service this year did 2 cases, one we couldnt decide if guilty or not guilty, and one an easy guilty, is difficult

Can anybody get called up for Jury service?

nessynoo01;6804564

yep, i felt so young though am 23 , all the other jury peeps i sat with were 35+

I declined to comment and offer an alibi as I was busy murdering someone else at the time so would incriminate myself :whistling:

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;6804560

That's why I asked my question above, if it is local I would be very … That's why I asked my question above, if it is local I would be very worried, I was called to court years ago as a witness and it was flippin' awful, hounding by the 'defendant' for months before the trial, trapped in a little witness 'waiting room' on the day of the trial, with the defendant and all his gang right outside, banging on the door threatening us, only to be told at the last minute that he pleaded guilty, he hadn't reckoned on me and the other witnesses actually turning up, still cross the road when I see that idiot now!!!

There doesn't seem to ba any thought given to what happens outside the court. As i went in for the past three days i had to walk past this lad and his mates outside the court. There were a load of his mates in the court and one of them had a phone with him. Easy to take pitures of us - the whole system is really poor

Original Poster

harlzter;6804601

I declined to comment and offer an alibi as I was busy murdering someone … I declined to comment and offer an alibi as I was busy murdering someone else at the time so would incriminate myself :whistling:

Thats wat i thought

My other half got called for jury service when he was in his early twenties. It was a paedophile case. He reckons it was the hardest thing ever trying to stay objective and base a decision on the evidence. You hear the word 'Paedophile' and want to lock him up and throw away the key!

nessynoo01;6804564

yeah and you can't get out of it easily either. i'd go if i got called, would be very interesting

Banned

You Should Not Talk About This On Here.
It Is Confidential.

harlzter;6804601

I declined to comment and offer an alibi as I was busy murdering someone … I declined to comment and offer an alibi as I was busy murdering someone else at the time so would incriminate myself :whistling:

It's the cleaning up after yourself part that annoys me most.

Original Poster

Hamm;6804643

You Should Not Talk About This On Here.It Is Confidential.

not when the trial has finished its not

starsparkle2311;6804560

That's why I asked my question above, if it is local I would be very … That's why I asked my question above, if it is local I would be very worried, I was called to court years ago as a witness and it was flippin' awful, hounding by the 'defendant' for months before the trial, trapped in a little witness 'waiting room' on the day of the trial, with the defendant and all his gang right outside, banging on the door threatening us, only to be told at the last minute that he pleaded guilty, he hadn't reckoned on me and the other witnesses actually turning up, still cross the road when I see that idiot now!!!

Star!!!! exactly that happened to me. I used to be slightly worried that they might come and get me, thankfully nothing happened.:)

srw_topbloke;6804680

I think you should keep it confidential:thumbsup:

Original Poster

its in the paper - not confidential any more

anyway - no names, locations given etc

Banned

Hamm;6804643

Why shouldn't he? Have you been able to identify the case from the details he has given or something?

starsparkle2311;6804809

No thought whatsoever!!! Very poor system, I was 19 at the time, I was … No thought whatsoever!!! Very poor system, I was 19 at the time, I was hounded for months, Marina you were lucky, I did get them coming after me, them making threatening comments and even worse, their families and friends hassling me, the person himself avoids me now, but his wife(well common law wife, because of course they were on benefits, so naturally they didn't live together:roll:) gave me such a hard time. You just have to laugh at them.Months of crap and then he pleaded guilty and walked off with a £100 fine, which, because he was on benefits, he paid off at £5 a week!!To this day, I have never been forgiven by them, I moved away from the town shortly after, moved back nearly 10 years later, I still get the 'evil eyes' from them now, some people are just thick,lol

Awww Star, don't know what to say, so :friends:

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;6804809

No thought whatsoever!!! Very poor system, I was 19 at the time, I was … No thought whatsoever!!! Very poor system, I was 19 at the time, I was hounded for months, Marina you were lucky, I did get them coming after me, them making threatening comments and even worse, their families and friends hassling me, the person himself avoids me now, but his wife(well common law wife, because of course they were on benefits, so naturally they didn't live together:roll:) gave me such a hard time. You just have to laugh at them.Months of crap and then he pleaded guilty and walked off with a £100 fine, which, because he was on benefits, he paid off at £5 a week!!To this day, I have never been forgiven by them, I moved away from the town shortly after, moved back nearly 10 years later, I still get the 'evil eyes' from them now, some people are just thick,lol

its a real shame - what incentive is there to persue complaints, give evidence or participate in anyway as you become the victim - its a crazy system

Was it a 10 - 2 verdict?

The prosecution have to prove beyond resonal doubt and have to convince at least 10 (preferably 12) people of that, the defence only need to prove to 3 people to get a not guilty verdict or a hung jury and a possible retrial.

nessynoo01;6804564

Yep, even Police Officers can be called for jury service now. Previously they were exempt.

Sounds similar to what happened to a family member of mine, was on trial for something serious and was found guilty but not unanimous but there was zero evidence on them apart from circumstantial(like taking a unplanned holiday day after crime happened) and how when arrested they didnt seem shocked and showed no emotion at trial(despite when released originally when they were still "gathering evidence" they broke down in tears regularly to family but was afraid that would be taken as an admission of guilt and at one point they almost commited suicide yet the police said person was a cold cruel evil person! Doesnt add up.

It really destroyed my faith in the system as the media all sided with police and despite all the evidence saying they couldnt have commited the crime that was ignored in the papers who said only the bad things(which after person was released they sued the local papers) they were actually found guilty which actually shocked everyone who knew them even if they werent friends and even talking at college at the time to people who didnt realise we were related(as it was big local news) no one understood why they were even arrested (nothing to do with the fact the local police force was in papers about the lack of convictions in recent months and shortly after family member was found guilty a few police were promoted for their handling of the case!)

Lets just say a retrial happened after they were in a while which showed loads of "missed" evidence that showed person to be innocent and a lot of evidence to another suspect that police never released info on despite saying on various occasions they had no other suspects!

Hamm;6804643

srw_topbloke;6804680

I actually worked in this field for a number of years and actually Hamm is correct, even though the trial is done and dusted, you shouldnt talk about it.

The OP though hasnt posted any specific details that would identify the person

Can I discuss details of the case with friends and family?

No. You are reminded throughout their service by the trial Judge that discussions are private to the jury. You are reminded not to disclose or discuss of any aspects of the trial with anyone who is not a member of their jury. Once your service is concluded you are still subject to the Contempt of Court Act 1981 as follows:
“Section 8 of the Contempt of Court Act 1981 provides that it is a contempt of court punishable with a fine or imprisonment for a juror to disclose to any person any particulars of statements made, opinions expressed, arguments advanced or votes cast by members of the jury in the course of their deliberations in any legal proceedings. This section does not apply to any disclosure for the purpose of enabling the jury to arrive at their verdict or in connection with the delivery of that verdict or in evidence in any subsequent proceedings for an offence alleged to have been committed in relation to the jury. “

nessynoo01;6804564

intenso100;6804583

yep, i felt so young though am 23 , all the other jury peeps i sat with … yep, i felt so young though am 23 , all the other jury peeps i sat with were 35+

superskilly;6804634

yeah and you can't get out of it easily either. i'd go if i got called, … yeah and you can't get out of it easily either. i'd go if i got called, would be very interesting

krs;6804969

Yep, even Police Officers can be called for jury service now. Previously … Yep, even Police Officers can be called for jury service now. Previously they were exempt.

What you all say is correct in that anyone can be CALLED, the question should be whether you are legally ALLOWED to serve on a jury, I for example wouldnt due to convictions (screwing my own life up at ages 18-25, my own doing no blame on soiciety etc ) so thankfully would be excluded.

Knowing the accused also excludes you.

What bugs me about Jurys is that you are said to be Judged by a jury of your peers, the definition of peers is: peer - a person who is of equal standing with another in a group
So if you was say in the court on a charge of burglary, should the jury not consist of other burglars?

Rhianne;6804644

It's the cleaning up after yourself part that annoys me most.

What you mean? I normally do don't I? It was only the one occasion I asked you to help, you said you didn't mind at the time, it's only cos you broke a nail you're still whinging about it, I did promise you a manicure to make up for it :whistling:

Banned

colinsunderland;6804834

Why shouldn't he? Have you been able to identify the case from the … Why shouldn't he? Have you been able to identify the case from the details he has given or something?

It wouldn' t be hard in the slightest...

srw_topbloke;6804528

I expected the decision to be easier in light of a solid case built on a … I expected the decision to be easier in light of a solid case built on a strong evidential background - the Police were the real criminals here - messing up on the most vital of details makeing it a really difficult decision where it could have never even been put before a jury

Sounds like there's insufficient evidence to me....not guilty yer honour. Easy!! :thumbsup:

OP sounds like you're left with your own feelings due to the case.

I'm wondering if you arent able to get any after-support in this kind of situation?

P.S. If the defendent's solicitor/barrister has advised the defendent to keep mouth firmly closed then there's a reason for that.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941396
    2. Marmite1823
    3. Krack WiFi vuln1121
    4. UBER can be a waste of money1019

See more discussions