Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Just a quick tip for families and summer holidays . Book flights and private accommodation . Saved us a fortune for next year

Posted 19th Sep
7 of use going to Tenerife end of July next year in the summer holidays.
4 adults and 16 , 15 , 7 year olds .
Tui , Thomas Cook , and on the beach , love holidays ect all quoted £800pp for 10 nights , in basic 3 star accommodation as a package self catering . Even more expensive for the slightly nicer hotels .
we ended up using Homeaway and booking 10 nights at compostella golf 2 complex in a huge 2 floor , 4 bedroom with roof terrace in a private let , looks really nice and loads of great reviews,
then easyjet flights with 3 x 23Kg checked in , seat selection and 7 carry ons .
total comes to £405 and accommodation is far superior.
just need to book transfers now .
myself and mrs normally just go away just the 2 of us so we book packages .
But seems once you get over 4 people it's far better doing it this way ?
well it's worked for us this trip might work for others .
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
So...rather than use a convenient yet obviously more costly all in one service, it’s cheaper to do the legwork yourself and book stuff separately?
And this is news?
Babbabooey19/09/2019 20:51

So...rather than use a convenient yet obviously more costly all in one …So...rather than use a convenient yet obviously more costly all in one service, it’s cheaper to do the legwork yourself and book stuff separately? And this is news?

Is too me !
We are taking the the mother in law and mrs sister and 3 kids as they can't afford to go abroad.
We do 3 holidays a year but as it's just the 2 of us we just book packages or cruises . So booking this way is new to us .
Might start looking more often this way
Just make completely sure that the accommodation is legit. It usually is but you do hear some horror stories of people turning up and not actually having a booking. Had a friend who booked an apartment in New York that was never a holiday rental
slippers197719/09/2019 21:53

Just make completely sure that the accommodation is legit. It usually is …Just make completely sure that the accommodation is legit. It usually is but you do hear some horror stories of people turning up and not actually having a booking. Had a friend who booked an apartment in New York that was never a holiday rental

It's on a Homeaway site .
Owners don't receive money till one day after check in .
We can cancel for full refund upto 14 days before stay .
Yer loads of scams going about .
Problem is, If you book seperatly And one of the firms go bust, you might not be atol protected could prove rather costly.
Edited by: "Caroline_1993" 19th Sep
Caroline_199319/09/2019 22:00

Problem is, If you book seperatly And one of the firms go bust, you might …Problem is, If you book seperatly And one of the firms go bust, you might not be atol protected could prove rather costly.

We always use a credit card to book .
Easyjet we should be ok .
Homeaway Is just a kind of home owners platform. Similar to owners direct and AirBB .
But yes it's more risky . But over £2400 saving and nicer accommodation.
Hopefully credit card would cover if a company goes bang ?
Caroline_199319/09/2019 22:00

Problem is, If you book seperatly And one of the firms go bust, you might …Problem is, If you book seperatly And one of the firms go bust, you might not be atol protected could prove rather costly.

You should never book any part of a holiday with a company who isn't abta and atol protected. It's your own fault if you don't and something happens
I've done both over the years. Sometimes package is cheaper than booking separately, sometimes not. The thing to remember though is that it is not comparing like for like. If you book the two components individually and say the airline goes bust, the fact you cannot get to the accommodation does not mean you are entitled to a refund of that part of your holiday. It was still available and the fact you could not get there is not something the credit card would be liable for. Also, if you get to your destination and you don't think the accommodation matches up to the brochure, if this is a package you can complain to the rep and possibly get moved. You booked it separately, this is what you booked. end of. Hand baggage is another thing to be wary of. Three hold bags for seven people? I flew flybe to belfast this week and they checked every single piece of baggage. Ours fitted because I'd measured beforehand but there were a good few who had to put it in the hold at £35 per case. Make sure you comply before you fly or it could be expensive. I'm not against booking items individually, I've done it often enough, but do be aware of the extra risks and planning involved
psychobitchfromhell20/09/2019 05:53

I've done both over the years. Sometimes package is cheaper than booking …I've done both over the years. Sometimes package is cheaper than booking separately, sometimes not. The thing to remember though is that it is not comparing like for like. If you book the two components individually and say the airline goes bust, the fact you cannot get to the accommodation does not mean you are entitled to a refund of that part of your holiday. It was still available and the fact you could not get there is not something the credit card would be liable for. Also, if you get to your destination and you don't think the accommodation matches up to the brochure, if this is a package you can complain to the rep and possibly get moved. You booked it separately, this is what you booked. end of. Hand baggage is another thing to be wary of. Three hold bags for seven people? I flew flybe to belfast this week and they checked every single piece of baggage. Ours fitted because I'd measured beforehand but there were a good few who had to put it in the hold at £35 per case. Make sure you comply before you fly or it could be expensive. I'm not against booking items individually, I've done it often enough, but do be aware of the extra risks and planning involved

Cheers.
We have looked into it .
The really good thing about easyjet is it's just size and no weight with carry on luggage. And it's a pretty generous size compared to Ryanair .
Didn't you read as well as carry on we have another 23Kg x 3 =69KG .
We also made sure the property we got had lots of recent reviews .
Its actually a Tui complex now , but about 10% are privately owned.
I understand there is a very small risk easyjet could go bust like any company, but they are always head and above better than a fair few budget airlines.
But worse thing to happen is they went bust and we claim money back on the Barclaycard . And rebook more expensive flights .
Or the property owner pulls out , we have protection for that and also we can get a full refund up to 2 weeks before . Don't forget Homeaway don't release the money to owners till 24 hours after you check in .
Is it 69 kg between 7 people?
Bandicoot20/09/2019 08:22

Plus 7 cabin bags (no weight limit)
yozzman123420/09/2019 07:03

Cheers. We have looked into it . The really good thing about easyjet is …Cheers. We have looked into it . The really good thing about easyjet is it's just size and no weight with carry on luggage. And it's a pretty generous size compared to Ryanair .Didn't you read as well as carry on we have another 23Kg x 3 =69KG .We also made sure the property we got had lots of recent reviews . Its actually a Tui complex now , but about 10% are privately owned. I understand there is a very small risk easyjet could go bust like any company, but they are always head and above better than a fair few budget airlines. But worse thing to happen is they went bust and we claim money back on the Barclaycard . And rebook more expensive flights . Or the property owner pulls out , we have protection for that and also we can get a full refund up to 2 weeks before . Don't forget Homeaway don't release the money to owners till 24 hours after you check in .

Have a look at car hire too as can work out cheaper than transfers. Nice to get out and about too and see a bit of the island. Petrol is ridiculously cheap and the roads are amazing.

Autoreisen in the canaries are excellent.
Bandicoot20/09/2019 08:22

No its 69Kg checked in between 7 .
Then we have 7 carry ons . So another 10KG each as well , easyjet don't in fact have a weight limit but a size limit, just a standard carry on size ,

56 x 45 x 25 cm
The easyJet carry on luggage size is 56 x 45 x 25 cm including the wheels and any handles. There is no weight limit on cabin baggage.6 Jun 2019
So about 140KG for 7 . Kids clothes weigh nothing
But are the cabin bags not limited in size?
Bandicoot20/09/2019 08:38

But are the cabin bags not limited in size?

56 x 45 x 25 cm
The easyJet carry on luggage size is 56 x 45 x 25 cm including the wheels and any handles. There is no weight limit on cabin baggage.6 Jun 2019
chocci20/09/2019 08:35

Have a look at car hire too as can work out cheaper than transfers. Nice …Have a look at car hire too as can work out cheaper than transfers. Nice to get out and about too and see a bit of the island. Petrol is ridiculously cheap and the roads are amazing. Autoreisen in the canaries are excellent.

I might do that .
But complex is kind of 20 minutes walk from most things .
Its 10 nights so wint be that cheap compared to around £15-£20 pp transfers
yozzman123420/09/2019 08:41

I might do that . But complex is kind of 20 minutes walk from most things …I might do that . But complex is kind of 20 minutes walk from most things . Its 10 nights so wint be that cheap compared to around £15-£20 pp transfers

Its about £195 for 10 days (picaso 7 seater).
chocci20/09/2019 09:08

Its about £195 for 10 days (picaso 7 seater).

Its 2 taxis needed quoted at €25 lowest €30 highest . So worst case€120 for 2 taxis both ways so £110 .
£195 plus say €25 fuel is double the price and then worrying about it being parked up and damaged .
This holiday is more for the kids to enjoy the beach , pools and sun . So the car wouldn't get used too much .
Thanks for the advice though buddy
Edited by: "yozzman1234" 20th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants