Expired

Just been scammed on Gumtree for a PS4.

Found 8th Apr 2014
So got a call from someone about a PS4 that I was selling, he turned up. Gave him the PS4. Took the cash, counted it. Thought it felt funny then thought to myself there's no such thing as fake twenties, never come across them. Went back inside and realised they were fake. I didn't know how to feel. I feel completely broken. It's such a terrible feeling. Reported it to the Police station and gave his description/phone number, but it's unlikely they're going to be able to do anything and even if they do, lady said that I'd most likely never see the money.

I considered going around giving the money to homeless people, but wouldn't want it in circulation or for them to get into trouble, it'd also be illegal too. Mum persuaded me to go the Police station to file a report, hopefully he doesn't come back for revenge.

Be on the lookout guys :-(
Community Updates
285 Comments
So you thought the money felt fake but decided to let them take the ps4 and you'd check properly later after they'd gone. That sounds like a fantastic idea with absolutely no flaws...

Meet them at a bank to pay the cash into you're account. If they won't do that then it's dodgy and walk away.
dcx_badass

So you thought the money felt fake but decided to let them take the ps4 … So you thought the money felt fake but decided to let them take the ps4 and you'd check properly later after they'd gone. That sounds like a fantastic idea with absolutely no flaws... Meet them at a bank to pay the cash into you're account. If they won't do that then it's dodgy and walk away.

Thought it felt different, but thought maybe because they're fresh they feel smoother, I didn't take any notice of it. Banks close at 4pm or so, it's not always convenient. The deal took place at 9pm, which is what I shouldn't of done. It should be done in the daytime.
OP did you give him the PS4 on the doorstep, or did you let him in your house? Just out of interest.

And sorry to hear you got scammed, I don't think the Police will be able to do anything; they can be useless in non-emergency situations.
Transformers

OP did you give him the PS4 on the doorstep, or did you let him in your … OP did you give him the PS4 on the doorstep, or did you let him in your house? Just out of interest. :)And sorry to hear you got scammed, I don't think the Police will be able to do anything; they can be useless in non-emergency situations.

Outside but he doesn't know my door number. I never give Gumtree'ers my real door number or real phone number.
KM4353

Outside but he doesn't know my door number. I never give Gumtree'ers my … Outside but he doesn't know my door number. I never give Gumtree'ers my real door number or real phone number.

1. Why?

2. He can't get revenge then, can he? If he doesn't know where you live that is. Don't worry about it.
Because you have to be cautious about who you meet on the internet, I'm always cautious to see it's not a setup.

Guess you're right
But that isn't going to stop me thinking about it every night.
Did you keep a note of the PS4 serial number? If so you could try reporting this to Sony. Also check if Gumtree replies show an actual email address to see if they're on Facebook.
KM4353

Because you have to be cautious about who you meet on the internet, I'm … Because you have to be cautious about who you meet on the internet, I'm always cautious to see it's not a setup. Guess you're right :)But that isn't going to stop me thinking about it every night.

Trust me, you will forget about it in a couple of days. You really shouldn't let it bother you; especially considering he doesn't know where you live.

And in the worst case scenario, if anything did happen (it won't), then just tell the Police. Then they will be quick to take an interest. (_;)
Sstuff

Did you keep a note of the PS4 serial number? If so you could try … Did you keep a note of the PS4 serial number? If so you could try reporting this to Sony. Also check if Gumtree replies show an actual email address to see if they're on Facebook.

He called, I have his number and gave it to the police. If he has a registered contract/sim he can be identified but the woman said chances are he's done this before and is probably smarter than that.
KM4353

He called, I have his number and gave it to the police. If he has a … He called, I have his number and gave it to the police. If he has a registered contract/sim he can be identified but the woman said chances are he's done this before and is probably smarter than that.

If you kept the serial number I'm sure Sony can do something to help you.
sorry to hear this op, hard leason to learn, take no notice of the doyles on here being very wise after the event, I would never think to look at the money to see if its fake
Edited by: "miles136" 8th Apr 2014
Why have the police not confiscated the forged money?
Pay m is rolling out, maybe this is the way to go unless paym transactions can be cancelled the same as paypal
I hardly use cash, use my credit card to buy a 20 p freddo, cash is filthy and covered in you know what
If you check out a handful of pound coins chances are you might find a fake, easy to spot if you look.
In scotland we have lot of different bank notes, i.e clydesdale bank , royal bank, english notes , so it hard to tell the difference between a twenty and ten due to different styles, if we do get independence then at least we can get a single type of bank note yeah
Gutted
£20 notes are the most commonly counterfeited! Your caution, it seems, wasn't very helpful this time around. You've fallen foul and all you can do is pick yourself up and move on with a life lesson learned.

...or you could report the situation to the police as a theft due to the fact that you didn't receive any legal payment for the item which was removed from your possession.
There's one thing bugging me...

Why on earth would you be selling your ps4 in the first place????
Never mind u learn from ur mistakes

I to got scammed from gumtree jus avoid that place.
I feel for you OP! I always used to let buyers come to my house and when they came and passed me the money I'd pretend to be taking it into the kitchen but really I was checking a couple of the notes, in a sneaky way to avoid being rude.

It's easy to say you should have done this or that, the truth is it could have happened to any of us.

At least you can learn from it.
in a retail environment with security and cameras etc they'd check the notes
in a shady deal in some darkened alleyway you just trust the guy...

makes sense
Sorry to hear your story OP.
When not selling from home on gumtree you should do a deal in places with great CCTV like McDonalds.
You should also check every note (a bit late now I know).
The number he contacted you on,have you typed the number in to gumtree & facebook search engines ?
Gumtree is actually rife with fake cash deals & read about it many times.
Sorry to hear your story, I'm a little confused as to why the police have allowed you to keep the counterfeit cash. It's quite a serious offence and I'd be at the station insisting they followed this up, where they would undoubtedly confiscate the notes.

Handing them to the homeless? I doubt even the homeless would not spot a fake £20, besides you'd then be committing an offence yourself in knowingly passing on counterfeit currency.

Whenever I sell anything online that means I could be handed cash, I always place a disclaimer that I will be using anti counterfeiting detection to ensure we are both covered. That is a pen that shows up fake notes and I would advise anyone that is thinking of using online selling methods where people will be handing them cash to do the same.
where does it state he kept the fakes?
'Thought to myself there's no such thing as fake twenties'

Really?
No such thing as fake twenties.... oO
Sorry to hear OP. feel sorry for you by some of the comments on here. It's a tough lesson to learn. Hopefully the police pull their finger out and manage to trace him. Good luck mate!
Just read this, while it's disheartening, you could've got a UV light to check for watermarks on the notes (police stations give them away for free) but you'll know for next time, this is what I do with any cash sale, and inform them of this before they collect anything, if they don't show up I know why, but almost all have no issue with this.
Were all of the notes fake. I have sold loads on Gumtree usually computers and phones £150 plus and don't check the notes just have a count and maybe they feel right. I have probably passed around fakes and not even known it from selling stuff. I do remember selling a phone one time and the notes felt a bit crisp and a bit dodgy but just put them on the shelf and used when needed who knows. Seems a silly question but would your home insurance cover it in any way like if I lost a roll of notes up to £1000 or more outside I am covered for that
tezray

Were all of the notes fake. I have sold loads on Gumtree usually … Were all of the notes fake. I have sold loads on Gumtree usually computers and phones £150 plus and don't check the notes just have a count and maybe they feel right. I have probably passed around fakes and not even known it from selling stuff. I do remember selling a phone one time and the notes felt a bit crisp and a bit dodgy but just put them on the shelf and used when needed who knows. Seems a silly question but would your home insurance cover it in any way like if I lost a roll of notes up to £1000 or more outside I am covered for that

If your selling anything on gumtree let me know X)

Lot's of fake cash on gumtree & you should post in your add all bank notes will be tested/checked.
sorry to hear about this OP

reminds me of when my step bro got scammed for his 360 and all his games on ebay by a Nigerian.

they sent him a fake paypal email stating he had paid etc was so professional it was scary
If they counted out the money to you and if they haven't been in general circulation (difficult to establish) then there is potential for the police to do a process called ninhydrin testing. Its a process which involves gaseous superglue that raises fingerprints on paper. The unfortunate thing is the amount of fingerprints that could come up or that you may have put your print on top of the suspects.
Worth a try in my opinion as you wont be the only person caught out or due to be caught out
Re-contact the officer especially if you can confirm an area where only they may have touched
ADZ1478

If they counted out the money to you and if they haven't been in general … If they counted out the money to you and if they haven't been in general circulation (difficult to establish) then there is potential for the police to do a process called ninhydrin testing. Its a process which involves gaseous superglue that raises fingerprints on paper. The unfortunate thing is the amount of fingerprints that could come up or that you may have put your print on top of the suspects.Worth a try in my opinion as you wont be the only person caught out or due to be caught outRe-contact the officer especially if you can confirm an area where only they may have touched

It's only £400 & no MP was shot,so police see it as "just another crime" sad but true.
ADZ1478

If they counted out the money to you and if they haven't been in general … If they counted out the money to you and if they haven't been in general circulation (difficult to establish) then there is potential for the police to do a process called ninhydrin testing. Its a process which involves gaseous superglue that raises fingerprints on paper. The unfortunate thing is the amount of fingerprints that could come up or that you may have put your print on top of the suspects.Worth a try in my opinion as you wont be the only person caught out or due to be caught outRe-contact the officer especially if you can confirm an area where only they may have touched

that would involve time and effort, the police wont even do it. they dont care about the minority
WheresMeNuts

If your selling anything on gumtree let me know X)Lot's of fake cash on … If your selling anything on gumtree let me know X)Lot's of fake cash on gumtree & you should post in your add all bank notes will be tested/checked.

Lol I nearly got stitched up on Ebay so will only use Gumtree or Facebook selling groups now but yes I know there are fake notes but even when I buy stuff from people they never check but I always get the cash out the bank on the way so it should be safe. I would be gutted about losing a PS4 though. As someone has said there must be a serial number somewhere for it and Sony could ban it as I would report it stolen to them. Then I would trawl the Internet and put up more ads to see if the bloke would turn up again then I would him over and mug him lol
Gutted dude, hard lesson learned there
Just to add, the Police didn't let me keep the money, I handed it in the to the Police station.

But yeah, just woke up and I still feel horrible, ughh
Unlucky OP. Not nice to be scammed, whatever the circumstances. Hope it gets sorted.
sorry. how much did you lose?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants