Just bought a fridge - is leaking a problem?

Posted 26th Aug
Hi. I just received a fridge freezer from AO. It looks brand new but it looks like it has been leaking at the bottom. Does anyone know if this is normal? Will fire off an email to AO too.

Pictures below.

Thanks3531706.jpg3531706.jpg3531706.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Your washing machine isn't plugged in mate
Your radiator doesn't have a Valve
Edited by: "Abidaboviveru" 26th Aug
Abidaboviveru26/08/2020 12:07

Your washing machine isn't plugged in mate Your radiator doesn't …Your washing machine isn't plugged in mate Your radiator doesn't have a Valve

Always the way on HUKD comments
I don't know about "normal" but it appears to be condensation drips from the copper. Probably from storage. I don't think anything is 'leaking' or broken.

You can tell/see exactly where the condensation has dripped from. Certainly worth your contacting them - and maybe even send them your pics for examination if you are worried?
Phsycronix26/08/2020 12:17

I don't know about "normal" but it appears to be condensation drips from …I don't know about "normal" but it appears to be condensation drips from the copper. Probably from storage. I don't think anything is 'leaking' or broken.You can tell/see exactly where the condensation has dripped from. Certainly worth your contacting them - and maybe even send them your pics for examination if you are worried?

I have done, thanks.

I also called them and they told me that it could have happened in storage and may be fine.

They said to turn it on and check for hissing
MadeDixonsCry26/08/2020 12:21

I have done, thanks.I also called them and they told me that it could have …I have done, thanks.I also called them and they told me that it could have happened in storage and may be fine.They said to turn it on and check for hissing

It can also be poor solder joints (or excess flux) - especially the bit to the left of the copper filter in your photo. Is that white just a build-up of limescale? The green bit is fine as that's probably solder/flux that reacted with the air but a bit further to the left is a brown bit. That does look like rust/corrosion.

If it was old, I'd suggest a gentle wipe with some emery cloth but really, it's not your job to sort out - being a new appliance and all. You don't want them saying you've made it worse by tampering.

Follow their advice to the letter and; worse case; they'll have to send an engineer to inspect the unit.
The stains are right underneath the pipework connections so its most likely flux that dripped when they were soldering it in the factory. I doubt its refridgerant has leaked out but you'll know soon enough when you run it.
Check inside the fridge. There's usually a drain for condensation. This usually goes into a tray to allow it to evaporate. Is there a hole, is there a tray? If there is a hole and no tray could the tray be missing, and could the dripping be condensationfrom inside the fridge?
41757881-B00hY.jpg
41757881-QaHAG.jpg
41757881-Mlnkx.jpg
41757881-Nvqok.jpg
Phsycronix26/08/2020 12:31

It can also be poor solder joints (or excess flux) - especially the bit to …It can also be poor solder joints (or excess flux) - especially the bit to the left of the copper filter in your photo. Is that white just a build-up of limescale? The green bit is fine as that's probably solder/flux that reacted with the air but a bit further to the left is a brown bit. That does look like rust/corrosion.If it was old, I'd suggest a gentle wipe with some emery cloth but really, it's not your job to sort out - being a new appliance and all. You don't want them saying you've made it worse by tampering.Follow their advice to the letter and; worse case; they'll have to send an engineer to inspect the unit.

It does look like rust. They said they would replace it but they don't have any more of this one in stock. I think I will have to go to currys to see if any of the fridges they have on display look like this on the back.
Mine doesn't leak, had it for at least three years, similar components to yours but different model.
41759927-Nn5f4.jpg
Bigfootpete26/08/2020 17:25

Mine doesn't leak, had it for at least three years, similar components to …Mine doesn't leak, had it for at least three years, similar components to yours but different model.[Image]

Yeah look, yours is spotless underneath. That settles it. They can have it back.

I'm not paying £600 for a basic fridge and having to settle for sub par quality control!

Thanks so much.
Push for replacement, I got an American style fridge freezer from Ao.
Came with a gouge in the white inside panel. Did not want to return as needs doors removed to take in or out.
A couple of photos and 20% refund was given.
Very pleases with the outcome.
MadeDixonsCry26/08/2020 17:39

Yeah look, yours is spotless underneath. That settles it. They can have it …Yeah look, yours is spotless underneath. That settles it. They can have it back.I'm not paying £600 for a basic fridge and having to settle for sub par quality control!Thanks so much.

Looks like you got one that was repaired.
Post a comment
@
    Text