Just bought my first car!

Posted 23rd Dec 2019
I just bought my first car yesterday.
55 plate. It’s done around 54k miles.

I have 3 questions:

1. Last MOT was in February of this year. No issues found. The car has been driven around 1k miles since then. Do I need to get the car checked as I just purchased it, or should I just wait until February when the MOT is due anyway.

2. Where is a good, reliable place to buy car mats? There are so many places selling them it’s confusing.

3. Any other advice for a new car owner or any checks I should get done to the car?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I would say get yourself a dashcam. Valuable piece of kit these days
Firstly, congrats !

To answer your queries:

1. Ideally should have been checked over before you bought it, but assuming it's only a cheap runaround, so probably not worth it. Just make sure you check the basics (brakes, tyres, no rattles, doesn't pull when driving etc). You can also take it for an MOT 4 weeks before it's due and still preserve the date (effectively a 13 month MOT).

2. The manufacturer, or probably in your case with it being a little run around, the likes of Halfords/eBay for some generic mats.

3. Just do the basic maintenance and if not serviced, take it for one at a local garage, they can flag up any potential issues at the same time which you may want to get sorted before MOT time

Edited by: "ChrisUK" 23rd Dec 2019
45 Comments
Firstly, congrats !

To answer your queries:

1. Ideally should have been checked over before you bought it, but assuming it's only a cheap runaround, so probably not worth it. Just make sure you check the basics (brakes, tyres, no rattles, doesn't pull when driving etc). You can also take it for an MOT 4 weeks before it's due and still preserve the date (effectively a 13 month MOT).

2. The manufacturer, or probably in your case with it being a little run around, the likes of Halfords/eBay for some generic mats.

3. Just do the basic maintenance and if not serviced, take it for one at a local garage, they can flag up any potential issues at the same time which you may want to get sorted before MOT time

Edited by: "ChrisUK" 23rd Dec 2019
ChrisUK23/12/2019 08:03

Firstly, congrats !To answer your queries:1. Ideally should have been …Firstly, congrats !To answer your queries:1. Ideally should have been checked over before you bought it, but assuming it's only a cheap runaround, so probably not worth it. Just make sure you check the basics (brakes, tyres, no rattles, doesn't pull when driving etc). You can also take it for an MOT 4 weeks before it's due and still preserve the date (effectively a 13 month MOT).2. The manufacturer, or probably in your case with it being a little run around, the likes of Halfords/eBay for some generic mats.3. Just do the basic maintenance and if not serviced, take it for one at a local garage, they can flag up any potential issues at the same time which you may want to get sorted before MOT time

Thanks for the advice! I checked as much as I could before buying, but obviously I’m not a mechanic so was a bit apprehensive. It has a full service history which is due, so I’ll probably get that done as well.
1. I would say wait until February when the next MOT is due. Just over a month left really.

2. Car mats. I would say go for full rubber. Look for the ones that say non-slip.
You can pick up a nice set in Home bargain, pound stretcher, B&M, quality save, even ebay (I'll see if I can find a link) for between £6 - £8. We bought ours around 5 years ago still going strong. I would avoid the carpeted ones because they get so dirty.

3. Only two things I can think of right now:
• Check the oil regularly. That's something we tend to neglect.
• Check your tyres regularly especially during winter. That's the tread depth and the air. Especially if going on longer journeys. It's very important.
I always service my car just before or the start of winter just before i need to start saving for Xmas lol. Leave the mot till Feb you should be fine. Just get cheap car mats you don't mind getting dirty cos they will. Look after your car and it'll look after you. Congrats on passing btw
What car is it ?
Cool Japanese - reliable
If you brought the car from a dealer or garage it would/should of have a once over. If brought private just pop it down to local garage and get them to scan it over.
Car matts you can get anywhere depends on your preference. I prefer rubber mats, usually a good deal in Aldi for a set
Just make sure you get the car service every year and it should be fine
Check coolant/antifree
This is why I love the HUKD’s community. A flood of great advice in minutes!
At only 55k miles, if genuine (check this on old mot's. You can look them up online and a decent checker will flag any mileage anomalies) you shouldn't need cam belt replacing. Not sure on recommendation with your car, but certainly needs doing when it gets near to the mileage. Car mats are good but they can hide problems, ie water getting into footwell, so remove them weekly to clean etc. Are you going to do a lot of miles? If so get a small mat to go on to of the large mat on the drivers side or you will end up with a bike in the drivers side and either an odd set or an expensive repurchase to replace the one matt.
Dashcam is a great idea - just fit and forget, don't watch it as you go along (I know this happens, strange as it may seem, as someone admitted it when she bumped into me. I was driving a coach 40 foot long, 8feet wide and 12 feet high - she didn't see me). I have my car dashcam fitted behind the rear view mirror.

Check mot, tax mileage etc here
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 23rd Dec 2019
_Whatever_23/12/2019 08:07

Top piece of advice.
mas12323/12/2019 08:14

Honda Civic Executive 2005.

I had this car for several years. Loved it. I upgraded to Honda Civic 8th generation the successor and gave my old one to my mum.
Does it have leather seats?

One thing the headlight bulbs can be a bit fiddly but after you've done it once you should be able to do it easily.
Ringfinger23/12/2019 08:40

At only 55k miles, if genuine (check this on old mot's. You can look them …At only 55k miles, if genuine (check this on old mot's. You can look them up online and a decent checker will flag any mileage anomalies) you shouldn't need cam belt replacing. Not sure on recommendation with your car, but certainly needs doing when it gets near to the mileage. Car mats are good but they can hide problems, ie water getting into footwell, so remove them weekly to clean etc. Are you going to do a lot of miles? If so get a small mat to go on to of the large mat on the drivers side or you will end up with a bike in the drivers side and either an odd set or an expensive repurchase to replace the one matt. Dashcam is a great idea - just fit and forget, don't watch it as you go along (I know this happens, strange as it may seem, as someone admitted it when she bumped into me. I was driving a coach 40 foot long, 8feet wide and 12 feet high - she didn't see me). I have my car dashcam fitted behind the rear view mirror.Check mot, tax mileage etc here

If it has a belt (and not a chain) on a car that age it is recommended it is replaced together with the water pump and tensioner. Usually 10 years or 60,000 miles.
mas12323/12/2019 08:14

Honda Civic Executive 2005.

Solid engine - will probably be still alive after the human race is taken over by robots!
Find a good local mechanic not main dealership they charge too much. Ask friends and family for recommend actions.
DistortedVision23/12/2019 08:47

I had this car for several years. Loved it. I upgraded to Honda Civic 8th …I had this car for several years. Loved it. I upgraded to Honda Civic 8th generation the successor and gave my old one to my mum.Does it have leather seats?One thing the headlight bulbs can be a bit fiddly but after you've done it once you should be able to do it easily.

Yes it has leather seats. It seems to have been kept very well!
JimboParrot23/12/2019 08:55

If it has a belt (and not a chain) on a car that age it is recommended it …If it has a belt (and not a chain) on a car that age it is recommended it is replaced together with the water pump and tensioner. Usually 10 years or 60,000 miles.

The ad said belt was replaced.
mas12323/12/2019 09:37

The ad said belt was replaced.

Ad? If it’s been replaced you should have paperwork for this
Since the MOT is due in February get the MOT and Service done together. This can be done up to 1 month (plus 1 day) in advance of the current MOT expiry. (the new MOT will still run from the date of the old one). This will save you the hassle of taking the car back for any MOT items that need rectification. If you have a decent local independant garage, this will probably be your cheapest option too.
ndyanem23/12/2019 09:39

Ad? If it’s been replaced you should have paperwork for this

The advert for the car. Yes, its noted in the log book. Timing belt changed.
mas12323/12/2019 09:41

The advert for the car. Yes, its noted in the log book. Timing belt …The advert for the car. Yes, its noted in the log book. Timing belt changed.

That’s ok then when you just said ad it sent an alarm bell. As long as you’ve got proof of all work done then that’s fine. If your close to that garage it’s been to I would stick with it as they will know the car.
Check eurocarparts for mats. Just put your reg in and get correct sizes.
airbus33023/12/2019 09:40

Since the MOT is due in February get the MOT and Service done together. …Since the MOT is due in February get the MOT and Service done together. This can be done up to 1 month (plus 1 day) in advance of the current MOT expiry. (the new MOT will still run from the date of the old one). This will save you the hassle of taking the car back for any MOT items that need rectification. If you have a decent local independant garage, this will probably be your cheapest option too.

As above, just get the MOT and Service done as soon as you can for the sake of a couple of months. The MOT fee should be reduced for combining the two.
mas12323/12/2019 08:26

This is why I love the HUKD’s community. A flood of great advice in m …This is why I love the HUKD’s community. A flood of great advice in minutes!

We're a nation of car lovers
DistortedVision23/12/2019 08:47

I had this car for several years. Loved it. I upgraded to Honda Civic 8th …I had this car for several years. Loved it. I upgraded to Honda Civic 8th generation the successor and gave my old one to my mum.Does it have leather seats?One thing the headlight bulbs can be a bit fiddly but after you've done it once you should be able to do it easily.

The passenger windows only go down around half way, was that the case on yours as well?
Firstly Congratulations on your first car. Welcome to the world of no longer having disposable income

As a number of others have mentioned it would not hurt to get a service and an MOT.
If you aren't sure an MOT as a mandatory test to check that the car meets roadworthy legal requirements - like you have no sharp jagged edges, and your lights and brakes work etc.
A service on the other hand is not mandatory but as the name suggests keeps the car in good running order, with replacing filters, oil etc and checking elements the MOT wont. You can learn to do a service yourself, but you have to go to a registered centre for an MOT annually.

If you want you can use youtube to look at each item and what and how you can service it using a checklist such as halfordsautocentres.com/adv…ded

There is also a really helpful pre MOT check sheet, this will give some ideas as to what might be checked at an MOT:
thecarexpert.co.uk/ess…st/

Try using bookmygarage.com/.
You can put in a request and local garages in the area will quote you to do that work. Ask for a full service and MOT and see what prices you get quoted. Remember this price will NOT include if additional work is found during the MOT or Service. Helpful reviews will show you local garages that wont try and rip you off.

Try reviewing the MOT history - gov.uk/che…ory. This will show outcomes of your previous MOT's. Look at advisory items - these mean the MOT was not failed, but the mechanic pointed out something that may be a failure next time round - this will include things like your tyre tread running low or brake pads getting close to wearing out. Whilst advisories will not fail the MOT they give an idea of stuff you may want to fix before they become dangerous.

Next consider the elements to protect you. As mentioned getting dashcams can never hurt. In addition make sure you know your insurance details in case of an accident - even if it is not your fault, if the person who hits you doesn't know their details, your insurance company will get you home safe and reclaim the money. Make a note of all your insurance, registration, license and breakdown details and keep it somewhere you can get to - either easily on your phone, or stick a piece of paper in the glove box.

Now get breakdown. Think about your travel habits. If you are often going to be taking longer journeys, don't cheap out and only buy the breakdown that will take you 10 miles. Make sure it will get you back to the garage near home. Check your bank accounts and insurance as you may have free breakdown included - but just because you have it, check the cover level and exclusions as it may not be suitable. A lot of them wont cover things like help at home if the car wont start. Try something like the "find the right cover" wizard on Greenflag.com to see what you need.

Finally, Along with your car mats get a small boot organiser and make sure you have a coat or jumper, a small first aid kit, bottle of water, chocolate bar and a hi-vis jacket, window scraper / de-icer. Get stuck in a major traffic jam, you have water and a snack. Accident or breakdown you can stay warm whilst by the side of the road. and so on.

On both Amazon and E-Bay you can add your vehicle details and it will show things relevant to your car. Ebay works particularly well for this when searching for seat covers, car mats, parts and so on. go to My garage on ebay and add your details.
ebay.co.uk/g/m…age

And enjoy your new found freedom
Edited by: "Ussasx32" 23rd Dec 2019
Ussasx3223/12/2019 13:36

Firstly Congratulations on your first car. Welcome to the world of no …Firstly Congratulations on your first car. Welcome to the world of no longer having disposable income As a number of others have mentioned it would not hurt to get a service and an MOT.If you aren't sure an MOT as a mandatory test to check that the car meets roadworthy legal requirements - like you have no sharp jagged edges, and your lights and brakes work etc.A service on the other hand is not mandatory but as the name suggests keeps the car in good running order, with replacing filters, oil etc and checking elements the MOT wont. You can learn to do a service yourself, but you have to go to a registered centre for an MOT annually.If you want you can use youtube to look at each item and what and how you can service it using a checklist such as https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/advice/servicing-advice/car-servicing-whats-includedThere is also a really helpful pre MOT check sheet, this will give some ideas as to what might be checked at an MOT:https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/essential-pre-mot-checklist/Try using https://bookmygarage.com/. You can put in a request and local garages in the area will quote you to do that work. Ask for a full service and MOT and see what prices you get quoted. Remember this price will NOT include if additional work is found during the MOT or Service. Helpful reviews will show you local garages that wont try and rip you off.Try reviewing the MOT history - https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history. This will show outcomes of your previous MOT's. Look at advisory items - these mean the MOT was not failed, but the mechanic pointed out something that may be a failure next time round - this will include things like your tyre tread running low or brake pads getting close to wearing out. Whilst advisories will not fail the MOT they give an idea of stuff you may want to fix before they become dangerous.Next consider the elements to protect you. As mentioned getting dashcams can never hurt. In addition make sure you know your insurance details in case of an accident - even if it is not your fault, if the person who hits you doesn't know their details, your insurance company will get you home safe and reclaim the money. Make a note of all your insurance, registration, license and breakdown details and keep it somewhere you can get to - either easily on your phone, or stick a piece of paper in the glove box.Now get breakdown. Think about your travel habits. If you are often going to be taking longer journeys, don't cheap out and only buy the breakdown that will take you 10 miles. Make sure it will get you back to the garage near home. Check your bank accounts and insurance as you may have free breakdown included - but just because you have it, check the cover level and exclusions as it may not be suitable. A lot of them wont cover things like help at home if the car wont start. Try something like the "find the right cover" wizard on Greenflag.com to see what you need.Finally, Along with your car mats get a small boot organiser and make sure you have a coat or jumper, a small first aid kit, bottle of water, chocolate bar and a hi-vis jacket, window scraper / de-icer. Get stuck in a major traffic jam, you have water and a snack. Accident or breakdown you can stay warm whilst by the side of the road. and so on.And enjoy your new found freedom

Very helpful, thank you!
I keep a fire extinguisher in my car aswel just in case
Got my rubber car mats at Asda.
Did you know you can mot your car a month before it's due date, and it keeps its original due date.
This will give you time to sort small things that have failed like a split rubber boot or dodgy exhaust etc. (The old mot covers you to still drive)
Dashcam 100%, decent ones on Amazon for £30 (1080p)
A canister of tyreweld, or at least check what the car has as regards to a spare wheel and Jack as they can be missing.
My c4 picasso only came with a pump and some liquid expanding foam, but luckily, I checked the pump and it was dead (wouldn't have been much fun on a dark winters night finding that out)
Some great advice already, but i would add check your windscreen wash regularly, esp in winter and always keep a pencil and paper in the glove box.
Rune_2H23/12/2019 16:43

Comment deleted

Anything can happen at any time. You can get a car mot and the next day it 'could' break down. Doesn't mean it will.
Save up about £300-£500 for when it fails its MOT in Feb. If it doesn't fail then you have money for a camera & mats.

Hold fire on spending money now.
deeky23/12/2019 18:41

What's antifree?

Anti-freeze, you can buy gadgets to test if you have enough in the coolant water, otherwise the cooling water that's around the engine could freeze (and as water expands when it freezes, you can probably guess the rest)
If you are really new to how an engine and its components work, give youtube a go, lots of tutorials, and many specific to your car!
esar23/12/2019 18:54

Anti-freeze, you can buy gadgets to test if you have enough in the coolant …Anti-freeze, you can buy gadgets to test if you have enough in the coolant water, otherwise the cooling water that's around the engine could freeze (and as water expands when it freezes, you can probably guess the rest)If you are really new to how an engine and its components work, give youtube a go, lots of tutorials, and many specific to your car!

Cheers
deeky23/12/2019 19:03

Cheers

I'm hoping for a aunty free Christmas, can't stand relatives
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants