Groups

Just did something pretty stupid.....

Decided to see what hard drive i have in my laptop which meant opening this baby up.....(this is where it inevitably goes wrong) ive managed to break a small tiny plastic clip/grip that keeps the keyboard cable seated (damn it).

Anyone know where i can get hold of a Sony part like that?

Alternatively just mock me for being such an idiot.

20 Comments

http://op-for.com/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Sorry couldnt resist, Have you looked on Ebay /.

Crazy, the O/S would happily have told you what hard drive was installed.

did you really have to take the keyboard off to get at the hard drive, they usually slide out the side?

Original Poster

abomination;6061616

Crazy, the O/S would happily have told you what hard drive was installed.

well i was 99% sure it was SATA so I ordered a drive and thought.....rubbish i havent checked i can get into it or made sure it was SATA.

Checked ebay, its such a piddly part thats probably worth less than a penny so no one is selling it, i guess it would come attached to the Mobo too.

Original Poster

masterruckus;6061646

did you really have to take the keyboard off to get at the hard drive, … did you really have to take the keyboard off to get at the hard drive, they usually slide out the side?

yep, there is no access panel on my laptop....sony clearly dont want you to change the HDD, even though they only put a 120GB in

Doesn't sound like you've broken anything important, if it's just cosmetic forget about it.

leecher;6061662

yep, there is no access panel on my laptop....sony clearly dont want you … yep, there is no access panel on my laptop....sony clearly dont want you to change the HDD, even though they only put a 120GB in

What laptop is it? You might not easily find the part you're after I'm afraid, how old is the laptop?

abomination;6061697

Doesn't sound like you've broken anything important, if it's just … Doesn't sound like you've broken anything important, if it's just cosmetic forget about it.

You sure? Sounds to me like the connector for the keyboard ribbon cable is broken, so the keyboard won't work properly...

its the little flap that you close down on the keyboard flat cable end right? I doubtr you would be able to buy just the flap, is there anyway that you can repair it?or maybe stick it down with something?

Original Poster

laptop was made 2007/8, model is VGN-SZ4XWN.

its definitely not cosmetic, the keyboard doesnt work now lol.

Post #2 nailed it on the head then...

i have fixed this same fault many times. the easiest method is to place the ribbon cable onto the connectors and hold the clip in place to test the connection is working, then you use a drop of hot melt glue on one side of the connector whilst continuing to hold the other side and middle. once this is cooled you repeat the process on the other side. finally you draw a bead of the glue over the bottom and top of the catch. providing you applied enough pressure to maintain contacts the glue will hold it in place.

hth

leecher;6061650

well i was 99% sure it was SATA so I ordered a drive and … well i was 99% sure it was SATA so I ordered a drive and thought.....rubbish i havent checked i can get into it or made sure it was SATA.Checked ebay, its such a piddly part thats probably worth less than a penny so no one is selling it, i guess it would come attached to the Mobo too.

You probably could have just googled it! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

wolf359;6061751

i have fixed this same fault many times. the easiest method is to place … i have fixed this same fault many times. the easiest method is to place the ribbon cable onto the connectors and hold the clip in place to test the connection is working, then you use a drop of hot melt glue on one side of the connector whilst continuing to hold the other side and middle. once this is cooled you repeat the process on the other side. finally you draw a bead of the glue over the bottom and top of the catch. providing you applied enough pressure to maintain contacts the glue will hold it in place.hth

cheers mate, would superglue do the same job?

cant believe they actually design it like this, its so stupid.

Original Poster

DVS_Dee;6061763

You probably could have just googled it! :thumbsup:

well the drive is coming tomorrow so i would have just broken it then to be honest haha.

tonyg1962;6061588

LOL never fails to make me laugh

i wouldn't try superglue. you'll likely coat the connectors and then struggle to scrape it off. hot glue would be best, superglue isn't good ad holding things together that have constant pressure applied to them. you need something with some substance to it. you can buy a mini hot glue gun for less than £5 i've seen then in the pound shop before.

]Here is your dissasembly manual so you don't damage any more of it

As for the connector it's probably a Flexible Printed Circuit (FPC) using a zif connector. worth googling for one using the first part of your model number vgn-sz

leecher;6061765

cheers mate, would superglue do the same job?cant believe they actually … cheers mate, would superglue do the same job?cant believe they actually design it like this, its so stupid.

nope superglue is too permanent if you make a mistake. hot melt is easily removable and it won't effect the circuit board. as for the design, there's a hell of a lot of notebooks with the same design. a lot of people who are used to removing ribbon connectors break these as they assume it slides to allow removal whereas most of them are hinged instead.

Original Poster

wolf359;6066925

nope superglue is too permanent if you make a mistake. hot melt is … nope superglue is too permanent if you make a mistake. hot melt is easily removable and it won't effect the circuit board. as for the design, there's a hell of a lot of notebooks with the same design. a lot of people who are used to removing ribbon connectors break these as they assume it slides to allow removal whereas most of them are hinged instead.

cheers mate, some valuable info here.

I dont feel so bad now too lol.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions