Just done a little research, i know my car is a V6, 24V, now i know what they mean

28 replies
Found 7th Sep 2009
I had absolutely no idea what these meant before but just doing a little research in just under 10 minutes i found out that V6 means there are 6 cylinders in a V shape configuration, V4 means more MPG but less power, V6 is mid range, and V8 means more power but poor MPG. reason for the V shape is it gives more power from same amount of cylinders(as in just having a standard cylinder).
24V means there are 24 valves, the more valves, the more air can get into the engine the faster the car will accelerate.
I hope the advice above is correct and i have translated it correctly.
I also hope this helps anyone out there.

28 Comments

thank you

my life is now complete

have some rep

well i just learned something new...didnt really need to know...but pub quiz anyone?

are 4 cyclinder engines still V shaped? i thought most of them were straight 4's? well at least thats what i thought.

i knw tht :lol:

the HMS Victory (Admiral Nelsons) is the oldest fully comisioned battleship in th british navy

betcha didnt know tht :lol: i dnt imagine it would be any use these days tho :lol: its a good pub quiz one tho

I have never heard of a V4. Not saying there isn't one, but never heard of it.

garbage456;6234093

not saying there is either

So why is it in your opening post? :?
Also more valves doesn't mean it can accelerate quicker.

the V configuration reduces the size of the engine - length ways by allowing the cylinders to be closer together - but the engine is then slightly wider.

garbage456;6234127

because that is what i read !!!!

Fair enough.

Mine's a 2.5 litre V6 24 valve engine with dual overhead cams. Still not great acceleration though - it's made by Americans!

to answer a previous post, yes you can get straight 4's and straight 6's, straight 4's are in Subaru's, the difference on a straight 4 is smoother power delivery however it is considered slower and less performance orientated.

Straight 6's are different from V6's, many 2litres or above BMW's have straight 6's.

you can also get V5's (i.e. VW golfs) and 3 cylinders... umm.. the new punto or IQ or smart? one of those tiny cars should have a 3 cylinder. Think aygo might have one of them too.. not sure...

The Valves sit between the cylinders so theres 8v (2 for each cylinder) 16v (2 or 4 for each cylinder) and 24v (4 per cylinder) are most common. Valves are for pumping in/out air/fuel, much like your heart valves. More you have the smoother the engine generally (aswell as additional power).

Having said all that many companies have mixed and matched these and can able to out-perform a possible similar car with higher valves or cylinders.

Spod;6234187

Mine's a 2.5 litre V6 24 valve engine with dual overhead cams. Still not … Mine's a 2.5 litre V6 24 valve engine with dual overhead cams. Still not great acceleration though - it's made by Americans!

lol oh no, lets not get into overhead cams etc! can o worms! :roll:

Edit: Just re-read OP's post, more valves generally means better efficiency in fuel and power, however less cylinders doesnt ness. mean better MPG. if you stick a 3 cylinder engine on a aston martin DB9 it will not shift, and it will not have good mpg. lol

I had absolutely no idea what these meant before but just doing a little … I had absolutely no idea what these meant before but just doing a little research in just under 10 minutes i found out that V6 means there are 6 cylinders in a V shape configuration, V4 means more MPG but less power, V6 is mid range, and V8 means more power but poor MPG. reason for the V shape is it gives more power from same amount of cylinders(as in just having a standard cylinder).24V means there are 24 valves, the more valves, the more air can get into the engine the faster the car will accelerate.I hope the advice above is correct and i have translated it correctly.I also hope this helps anyone out there.

Whilst a reasonable general guide, a lot of that is not strictly true.

thesaint;6234087

I have never heard of a V4. Not saying there isn't one, but never heard … I have never heard of a V4. Not saying there isn't one, but never heard of it.

Saab Sonett
Ford Taunus (and a few other variants)
Lancia Lambda
Nissan Sentra
Various Motorcycles (Honda VFR, Yamaha V-Max)

to name a few.......

Garbage456...It's good to know you are not Garage456.:whistling:;-)

cockers;6234359

Saab SonettFord Taunus (and a few other variants)Lancia LambdaNissan … Saab SonettFord Taunus (and a few other variants)Lancia LambdaNissan SentraVarious Motorcycles (Honda VFR, Yamaha V-Max)to name a few.......

None of those cars are UK models are they? May explain why I have never heard of any of them, or a V4.

thesaint;6234407

None of those cars are UK models are they? May explain why I have never … None of those cars are UK models are they? May explain why I have never heard of any of them, or a V4.

Good point :-D , mind you bet you've seen a few motorbikes though

One thing you might want to consider is if it has a rotary engine ??

Well, if you couldn't sleep earlier, you can now. RIP.

garbage456;6235364

compared to a V8 it does

I don't think you understand, a V8 only has more power than a V6 if....it is has more power than a V6. V6s and V8s come in all shapes and sizes and consequently power output, just having 8 cylinders do not give you enough information to say whether it is more powerful.

Banned

What about a boxer engine ??

So called because its like two boxers standing facing each other and hitting each other , better balance I think

Ahhh, but what colour is it?

cockers;6234487

Good point :-D , mind you bet you've seen a few motorbikes though

Motorbike engines are a different entity altogether

garbage456;6235364

compared to a V8 it does

You are looking at it very simplistically. What is "power"? torque, BP, speed etc etc.
There are so many contributing factors when you are talking about cars.

You could have a 2.8 V6, and I could strip you in a 2.0 straight four.

Jumpingphil;6235491

I used to drive a Renault 25 2.5 litre V6 Turbo.One of the quickest 5 … I used to drive a Renault 25 2.5 litre V6 Turbo.One of the quickest 5 seat family cars of it's time.

Those old Renaults were quick, but lasted 5-10 years if they were looked after well.

One of the quickest of all the "Super-mini's" of the 80's-90's was the Renault 5 GT turbo. Not seen one on the road for years.

Pavers;6235538

Ahhh, but what colour is it?

Woman in thread?

thesaint;6234407

None of those cars are UK models are they? May explain why I have never … None of those cars are UK models are they? May explain why I have never heard of any of them, or a V4.

Early Ford Capris were available with a V4, my mate bought an old one when I was at school.

en.wikipedia.org/wik…ine

Banned

whats this a my first mechanics lesson?

check out the holden commodore ranges for comparison on speed, torque and consumptions
sv6
ss
ss- v series

not to mention the HSV range or the FPV range

but yes the v6 engine with a turbo is about as quick as a v8 but they have different attributes and the sound of a v8 especially is fantastic

Banned

dcx_badass;6236768

Brum Brum, our V6 sounds pretty nice.... :whistling:

yeah they not bad for 3/4 grand......lot of maintenace tho and probably better off getting the v8 if an enthusiast

Nobody got a Jag V12 then? :-D
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sonos Amazon Echo discount code beg thread56
    2. Rugged Android Phone/Tablet44
    3. amazon prime question33
    4. Help! In need of a PS4 Headset47

See more discussions