Expired

Just eat ...service fee for card payments

Found 14th Apr
I was under the impression that it was made illegal to charge extra for paying by card Vs zero charge for cash... surely Just eat should fall in line?
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
24 Comments
Its not illegal of you charge on all forms of payment. So they just stuck the charge on cash aswell.
master1033 m ago

Its not illegal of you charge on all forms of payment. So they just stuck …Its not illegal of you charge on all forms of payment. So they just stuck the charge on cash aswell.

Classy move. Also, the commission they're charging the restaurants is outlandish. If you can pay cash and aren't a complete socially inept weirdo, for whom the thought of speaking to another human being on the telephone fills you with an overwhelming sense of paralysing terror, then support them and order directly. You might even find your portions are a little bit larger...
Edited by: "Krooner" 14th Apr
yeah its pretty cheeky of them, I won't use them unless there is a voucher to offset the charges
athunder27 m ago

yeah its pretty cheeky of them, I won't use them unless there is a voucher …yeah its pretty cheeky of them, I won't use them unless there is a voucher to offset the charges

Well yes its cheaky of them, but its even cheakier of the banks, they van charge what thry like and retailers have to suck up the charges. When it became illegal it didnt so for banks...
master1014th Apr

Well yes its cheaky of them, but its even cheakier of the banks, they van …Well yes its cheaky of them, but its even cheakier of the banks, they van charge what thry like and retailers have to suck up the charges. When it became illegal it didnt so for banks...

so you think the banks should supply the whole infrastructure to the retaillers for free?
Original Poster
julieallen25 m ago

so you think the banks should supply the whole infrastructure to the …so you think the banks should supply the whole infrastructure to the retaillers for free?

Good point.
master101 h, 38 m ago

Well yes its cheaky of them, but its even cheakier of the banks, they van …Well yes its cheaky of them, but its even cheakier of the banks, they van charge what thry like and retailers have to suck up the charges. When it became illegal it didnt so for banks...

Here's an idea. As it is so easy and free. Setup a rival system and make it free.
Though I'll be kind, charge 10% of what the banks do and make a living to feed yourself with.
You have after all eaten your dictionary and spell checker.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 14th Apr
Krooner2 h, 1 m ago

Classy move. Also, the commission they're charging the restaurants is …Classy move. Also, the commission they're charging the restaurants is outlandish. If you can pay cash and aren't a complete socially inept weirdo, for whom the thought of speaking to another human being on the telephone fills you with an overwhelming sense of paralysing terror, then support them and order directly. You might even find your portions are a little bit larger...

My mate owns a chinese i'm sure he said its 20% charge on all orders. He's looking into building an app insted.
Krooner2 h, 14 m ago

Classy move. Also, the commission they're charging the restaurants is …Classy move. Also, the commission they're charging the restaurants is outlandish. If you can pay cash and aren't a complete socially inept weirdo, for whom the thought of speaking to another human being on the telephone fills you with an overwhelming sense of paralysing terror, then support them and order directly. You might even find your portions are a little bit larger...

The takeaways round me that use just eat refuse to take phone orders and want you to order from just eat.
choccie3238 m ago

The takeaways round me that use just eat refuse to take phone orders and …The takeaways round me that use just eat refuse to take phone orders and want you to order from just eat.

Same with my local chinese, rang up and wanted to pay by card over the phone and they said to use Just Eat. They have a card machine in there as I've used it when collecting before so it seemed a bit of a weird move.
julieallen1 h, 48 m ago

so you think the banks should supply the whole infrastructure to the …so you think the banks should supply the whole infrastructure to the retaillers for free?

No, but dont stop others passing the cost on. Why stop retailers cover their fees when banks are making billions.
Oneday771 h, 19 m ago

Here's an idea. As it is so easy and free. Setup a rival system and make …Here's an idea. As it is so easy and free. Setup a rival system and make it free.Though I'll be kind, charge 10% of what the banks do and make a living to feed yourself with.You have after all eaten your dictionary and spell checker.

Typing on mobile, with no autocorrect so it happens. When a business incurs extra costs what do they do? Pass on the cost to the customer. Why should they suck up the cost. If you say otherwise you obviously have no experience of managing any business.
master106 m ago

No, but dont stop others passing the cost on. Why stop retailers cover …No, but dont stop others passing the cost on. Why stop retailers cover their fees when banks are making billions.

So your problem is with the government not the banks?
Businesses still have the option to charge everyone a fee, why should people paying cash get a discount?
julieallen5 m ago

So your problem is with the government not the banks? Businesses still …So your problem is with the government not the banks? Businesses still have the option to charge everyone a fee, why should people paying cash get a discount?

Because businesses depositing cash has little to no fees, whereas banks charge businesses to process card transactions. Its noy a discount its a fee.
master1059 m ago

Typing on mobile, with no autocorrect so it happens. When a business …Typing on mobile, with no autocorrect so it happens. When a business incurs extra costs what do they do? Pass on the cost to the customer. Why should they suck up the cost. If you say otherwise you obviously have no experience of managing any business.

You had a dig at banks charging fees for handling payments. Of course they do, that is how they pay for the millions of transactions every year. Why should it be made illegal, it is their business to handle payments.
Where retailers are no longer allowed to charge is different. They are supplying a good or a service with a profit margin. Handling charges come out that profit, just like wholesale costs, rent, rates, utilities, labour costs, etc.
Banks provide the handling as a service and charge for it.
I suspect you are the one who has no idea.
Krooner3 h, 59 m ago

Classy move.

Scummy move.

Fixed it for you.

I hate it when they can so blatantly sidestep rules because they aren't implemented properly in the first place.
master1059 m ago

Because businesses depositing cash has little to no fees, whereas banks …Because businesses depositing cash has little to no fees, whereas banks charge businesses to process card transactions. Its noy a discount its a fee.

Really?
HSBC for example charge 80p per cash deposit and between 60p and £1 (0.6-1.0%) for a £100 deposit. So if I buy something from a shop for £100, it would cost them between £1.40 and £1.80 to pay that £100 in. Debit card would be 50p or less. So how is that cheaper than a card transaction?
Theres also a 68p-90p + 0.75-1% charge for withdrawals, obviously you need change for customers so theres an extra cost.

Maybe business should all start charging for cash transactions, more then the 50p or so they used to charge for cards?

Of course banks charge, thats what the business is, you have a very strange outlook on life if you think a business should give you everything for free.
julieallen8 h, 14 m ago

Really?HSBC for example charge 80p per cash deposit and between 60p and £1 …Really?HSBC for example charge 80p per cash deposit and between 60p and £1 (0.6-1.0%) for a £100 deposit. So if I buy something from a shop for £100, it would cost them between £1.40 and £1.80 to pay that £100 in. Debit card would be 50p or less. So how is that cheaper than a card transaction?Theres also a 68p-90p + 0.75-1% charge for withdrawals, obviously you need change for customers so theres an extra cost.Maybe business should all start charging for cash transactions, more then the 50p or so they used to charge for cards?Of course banks charge, thats what the business is, you have a very strange outlook on life if you think a business should give you everything for free.

Im not sure where you are getting your figures from. Alot of business accounts have no fee for cash deposits, I know I have one. A fee on £100 would not be 50p, card charges can be upto 3% thats £3 not 50p. These fees vary so much that people just dont accept cards like AmEx. Smaller retailes can be seen as higher risk so they get an increased charge. When retailers are making pennies on commision items or low value based items the card surcharges almost wipe out the profits.
Multiply this over the year makes it immpossible for some businesses to accept card transactions.
Oneday778 h, 42 m ago

You had a dig at banks charging fees for handling payments. Of course they …You had a dig at banks charging fees for handling payments. Of course they do, that is how they pay for the millions of transactions every year. Why should it be made illegal, it is their business to handle payments. Where retailers are no longer allowed to charge is different. They are supplying a good or a service with a profit margin. Handling charges come out that profit, just like wholesale costs, rent, rates, utilities, labour costs, etc. Banks provide the handling as a service and charge for it. I suspect you are the one who has no idea.

Thats like saying banks should account for all there costs and charge cash and card fees the same, they charge different fees because its based on a particular service. The dont simply add all the expenses and set a flat rate do they.
All the costs you said are fixed, they do not change on a day to day basis depending on how somebody pays. The fact that retailers should increase their prices to maintain profit which may in turn reduce sales is not a good idea. The fact is the cash buyers are in effect subsidising card users, why should their prices increase because of how others pay? If others want to use card technology they should soak up the expense not the retailers, the retailers are also providing a servoce and thats not done by making a loss.
I dont think you have any idea how businesses work.
Original Poster
master109 h, 46 m ago

No, but dont stop others passing the cost on. Why stop retailers cover …No, but dont stop others passing the cost on. Why stop retailers cover their fees when banks are making billions.

paying by card is a convenience for the retailer, banking cash isn't free for the business either.
master1025 m ago

Thats like saying banks should account for all there costs and charge cash …Thats like saying banks should account for all there costs and charge cash and card fees the same, they charge different fees because its based on a particular service. The dont simply add all the expenses and set a flat rate do they. All the costs you said are fixed, they do not change on a day to day basis depending on how somebody pays. The fact that retailers should increase their prices to maintain profit which may in turn reduce sales is not a good idea. The fact is the cash buyers are in effect subsidising card users, why should their prices increase because of how others pay? If others want to use card technology they should soak up the expense not the retailers, the retailers are also providing a servoce and thats not done by making a loss.I dont think you have any idea how businesses work.

Card handling fees are more transparent than cash handling fees. There are still fees for banking cash. You should try looking up business banking fees.

You’ll find retailers have been charging for card usage due to various factors.:-
The fee is a fixed percentage so easily worked out to charge separately.
Card transactions are traceable. Making creative accounting more difficult.
Cards can be subject to chargebacks.

Cash is only free to handle by a business if they don’t declare it to anyone or it lives in a safe to stay under the radar. That has always been the case.
master1010 h, 6 m ago

Because businesses depositing cash has little to no fees, whereas banks …Because businesses depositing cash has little to no fees, whereas banks charge businesses to process card transactions. Its noy a discount its a fee.

julieallen9 h, 6 m ago

Really?HSBC for example charge 80p per cash deposit and between 60p and £1 …Really?HSBC for example charge 80p per cash deposit and between 60p and £1 (0.6-1.0%) for a £100 deposit. So if I buy something from a shop for £100, it would cost them between £1.40 and £1.80 to pay that £100 in...

master1051 m ago

Im not sure where you are getting your figures from. Alot of business …Im not sure where you are getting your figures from. Alot of business accounts have no fee for cash deposits, I know I have one...

Just because you have experience of a Business Current Account does not mean your account is indicative of all of them!

I read just read a few articles (found via a Google.com search) from various sources (most of which restricted their selection of banks due to respective affiliation).

Here are the cash deposit charges as quoted by MoneySavingAnswers.com:

"Compare business accounts for start ups, freelancers, and contractors"

Barclays (90p per £100)
Santander (Monthly limit of £1,000 then 50p per £100 thereafter)
HSBC (free up to £3,000 then 50p per £100 thereafter)
Natwest (66p per £100)
Yorkshire Bank (65p per £100)
Clydesdale Bank (65p per £100)

PS. Which bank & which specific Business Current Account do you use, @master10?
Edited by: "fanpages" 15th Apr
Original Poster
fanpages2 m ago

Just because you have experience of a Business Current Account does not …Just because you have experience of a Business Current Account does not mean your account is indicative of all of them!I read just read a few articles (sourced via a Google.com search) from various sources (most of which restricted their selection of banks due to respective affiliation).Here are the cash deposit charges as quoted by MoneySavingAnswers.com:"Compare business accounts for start ups, freelancers, and contractors"Barclays (90p per £100)Santander (Monthly limit of £1,000 then 50p per £100 thereafter)HSBC (free up to £3,000 then 50p per £100 thereafter)Natwest (66p per £100)Yorkshire Bank (65p per £100)Clydesdale Bank (65p per £100)PS. Which bank & which specific Business Current Account do you use, @master10?

Sounds good.
master108 h, 47 m ago

Im not sure where you are getting your figures from. Alot of business …Im not sure where you are getting your figures from. Alot of business accounts have no fee for cash deposits, I know I have one. A fee on £100 would not be 50p, card charges can be upto 3% thats £3 not 50p. These fees vary so much that people just dont accept cards like AmEx. Smaller retailes can be seen as higher risk so they get an increased charge. When retailers are making pennies on commision items or low value based items the card surcharges almost wipe out the profits. Multiply this over the year makes it immpossible for some businesses to accept card transactions.

As I mentioned HSBC then I would have thought it was obvious I got them from HSBC. If you are paying more than 50p for DEBIT card transactions then you need to look for a new provider if you are using a proper merchant account. You could even take card payments using something like iZettle which has a flat fee of 1.75%, almost half of what you are quoting, and that is the same for everyone, on any card. If you are making less than a 1.75% mark up on your sales then you really want to evaluate if the business is worth running. As for low value transactions, just put a £10 minimum spend on all cards, that will cost the business £0.175
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants