Found 7th May 2009
Got a call from my bank today about suspicious activity so checked my online account and found someone has just ordered something worth £175 from Comet and some jewellery for a tenner.

Looked a little further back on my account and found two charges from a couple of days ago for £15 O2 prepay cards (i'm on Orange). The thing I found suspicious is the fact all the thieving started the day I purchased a game via chip and pin in a respected local game shop (nothing from me either side for a week).

23 Comments

hope they gave the jewellery to their gf and she thought it was so tacky she dumped em

awful for you hon.... this stuff happens so much these days

glad your bank picked up on it x x

Which shop was this?

go to the shop and publicaly address all the customers as to what happend, i would

i would go back to the shop and make the manager aware of your suspicions, a member of staff could have a skimming machine

Banned

how did they manage to get your address details etc to order through comet?
and your secure code

extremely presumptious btw when did comet start selling jewelery?

raptorcigs;5145630

go to the shop and publicaly address all the customers as to what … go to the shop and publicaly address all the customers as to what happend, i would

michelleleemoo;5145648

i would go back to the shop and make the manager aware of your … i would go back to the shop and make the manager aware of your suspicions, a member of staff could have a skimming machine

I would do this too. :thumbsup:

now that's really bad, i would definitely go back t the shop and speak to the manager about it.

Also check your receipt for the persons name that served you. Might be worth bringing this up with the shop manager as well.

Well I was having fun. ;-)

Seriously though glad someone spotted it early.

Normally whathappens is that they get your details and wait a while before using them, then they use it to buy phone credit (it's ALWAYS phone credit) to seeif the crd still works, if it does then they go on the rampage with your card, wouldnt be surprised if you find somemore stuff in the comming days, you need to contact the bank and they will start proceedings for recovering your money.
Happened to me a few months ago, all sorted out swiftly by Lloyds TSB.

Mike..

casparwhite;5145649

how did they manage to get your address details etc to order through … how did they manage to get your address details etc to order through currys? and your secure codeextremely presumptious btw when did currys start selling jewelery?

surely they can have item delivered wherever they want so dont need op's address? im assuming so not sure

Original Poster

Don't want to make any accusations or name shops until I have my money back. but it was Newcastle. Base this solely on the fact my card was not used in the week beforehand and someone purchased £30 in O2 vouchers later on the same day.

Card has been stopped and banks fraud department are investigating.

Jewellery was from somewhere called Bondi or something.

Banned

michelleleemoo;5145685

surely they can have item delivered wherever they want so dont need op's … surely they can have item delivered wherever they want so dont need op's address? im assuming so not sure

generally you can request delivery to another address BUT you need the address that the card is registered at to make the payment. If the addresses dont match the payment should be declined

the only way round this is to order online and collect in-store

Banned

michelleleemoo;5145685

surely they can have item delivered wherever they want so dont need op's … surely they can have item delivered wherever they want so dont need op's address? im assuming so not sure

no it wont authourise unless the address matches the card billing address

also requires you to enter a secure code for either mastercard or visa, which only you will know this is different to your banking password

so seems a bit strange to me especially from comet as you cannot order unless you fill out all the above!

also it would be unlikely to start purchasing on the same day as it was skimmed and especially in a reputable retailer who will have all details of any employee and it would get narrowed down to that shop pretty damn easily if they had a skimming machine

so id be looking elsewhere for who has your address and details not a game shop

Ungreat;5145699

Don't want to make any accusations or name shops until I have my money … Don't want to make any accusations or name shops until I have my money back. but it was Newcastle. Base this solely on the fact my card was not used in the week beforehand and someone purchased £30 in O2 vouchers later on the same day.Card has been stopped and banks fraud department are investigating.Jewellery was from somewhere called Bondi or something.

Grainger Danger ?

Banned

I got cyber-bummed. Really hurt.

I would definitely be looking further back than the shop you used that day, there's no way they would use your details that quickly.

To order something from comet wouldn't they need lots more details than your card and pin? address, visa verified password etc...

If I were I would check your pc for key logging software and viruses.

Original Poster

I rarely use the card and the only two times within months that I have used the card other than the usual Amazon/Play type stuff (with pre-entered details so just logging in) are the Crucial website and this games shop.

The only reason I suspect this place is the timing and the fact the chip and pin machine was the kind that dials up over the phone line and was on a tech TV spot about how people can hack them. lol

Banned

Ungreat;5146157

I rarely use the card and the only two times within months that I have … I rarely use the card and the only two times within months that I have used the card other than the usual Amazon/Play type stuff (with pre-entered details so just logging in) are the Crucial website and this games shop.The only reason I suspect this place is the timing and the fact the chip and pin machine was the kind that dials up over the phone line and was on a tech TV spot about how people can hack them. lol

so you dont withdraw from a cashmachine then or buy groceries?

how do you get cash and food

And dont forget DD's etc.

My friend had her card details stolen too, her card was used for one thing only and that was to pay for Timtanta.

Ungreat;5146157

I rarely use the card and the only two times within months that I have … I rarely use the card and the only two times within months that I have used the card other than the usual Amazon/Play type stuff (with pre-entered details so just logging in) are the Crucial website and this games shop.

Lots of reports of stored card details apparently being stolen from Play.Com. over at MSE quite recently.:x

No easy way of removing them either.

Banned

Sorry Ungreat.. it was me. I just reallllllllly wanted a new tv, and I was a bit short! :-P

Ungreat;5146157

I rarely use the card and the only two times within months that I have … I rarely use the card and the only two times within months that I have used the card other than the usual Amazon/Play type stuff (with pre-entered details so just logging in) are the Crucial website and this games shop.The only reason I suspect this place is the timing and the fact the chip and pin machine was the kind that dials up over the phone line and was on a tech TV spot about how people can hack them. lol

Funny enough, I too was cyber mugged to the tune of £512 a few months ago, where someone used my card details to try and make a transfer to themselves via Western Union and the retailer I had been using a lot was Play. There have also been a lot of other threads where people have mentioned they've had their card used and Play came up as one of the regular retailers. I've not used Play since, just incase, but their name does crop up a lot when people have had money taken from their cards.....

Original Poster

Charlie&Lola;5146472

Funny enough, I too was cyber mugged to the tune of £512 a few months … Funny enough, I too was cyber mugged to the tune of £512 a few months ago, where someone used my card details to try and make a transfer to themselves via Western Union and the retailer I had been using a lot was Play. There have also been a lot of other threads where people have mentioned they've had their card used and Play came up as one of the regular retailers. I've not used Play since, just incase, but their name does crop up a lot when people have had money taken from their cards.....

Friend mentioned reading a news story about callcentre staff in third world countries who had been found to be selling lists of customers financial details for a few pounds each. Quite a few companies had been stung because they all used the same third party. If it's a Play (or who they use for the web payments) employee hopefully it will be sorted.

Glad my bank noticed because I probably wouldn't have realised for a few days.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244871
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322826
    3. Misco about to go into administration912
    4. Add one, leave one game54315392

See more discussions