Groups

just got my mobile bill in and i am raging !!!!

I have a contract with o2 . bills is normally under 10 pound a month for 75mins call time and 250 texts . bill this time 29 pound ! reason why ??? a friend called me when i was on the ferry to amsterdam and because she called ME .... it cost me 17 pound for a 15 min call !!! I think this is a scandal as u have no control over it .

54 Comments

Thats terrible!

it could have been more.

Scandalous, I never take my phone with me when I go away, saves these stupid kinds of bills, you should call them up and see if you can cancel, just to annoy them :P

Mike..

you do have control you can turn the phone off

Over £1.00 a minute to receive a call?.. That doesn't sound right.. I thought it was about 30 pence a minute..

The rates are ]HERE . I would contact o2 if I was you.. This is not right..

Think yourself lucky, when I was in the states I racked up a 60quid phone bill + vat + 25 line rental

edit; its either 1.50 or 2.50 a minute in the states, so the price sounds about right.

Thats terrible, wonder if its only 02 who do this?

This is fairly standard - it certainly makes more sense than the other way round, which is to charge the person calling you. They have no idea where you are, but you do - if you don't want to pay the cost, don't answer the phone...

Original Poster

jasonrat;2246821

you do have control you can turn the phone off

dont see the point of having a mobile to switch it off !!!!!:x

OMG :w00t:

I would so begrudge paying that!

Its quite a common thing for mobile phone companies to charge those sort of rates abroad. You should of really of researched roaming rates before leaving.

Banned

all the networks do this thank god

Original Poster

edna_clouds;2246827

Over £1.00 a minute to receive a call?.. That doesn't sound right.. I … Over £1.00 a minute to receive a call?.. That doesn't sound right.. I thought it was about 30 pence a minute..

called and checked according to o2 its correct to my horror !!!

mstiny;2246860

called and checked according to o2 its correct to my horror !!!

would it have anthing to do with the ferrys costs?

XtremeDJW;2246854

Its quite a common thing for mobile phone companies to charge those sort … Its quite a common thing for mobile phone companies to charge those sort of rates abroad. You should of really of researched roaming rates before leaving.

She didnt go anywhere, read the op:x

XtremeDJW;2246854

Its quite a common thing for mobile phone companies to charge those sort … Its quite a common thing for mobile phone companies to charge those sort of rates abroad. You should of really of researched roaming rates before leaving.

OP was in the UK, her friend called her from abroad:thumbsup:

am afraid this happens. Luckily my company pays for my telephone bill so I don't worry about it:thumbsup:

Original Poster

sassie;2246857

all the networks do this thank god

do u work for a mobile company then ?

nadss;2246875

OP was in the UK, her friend called her from abroad:thumbsup:

no the OP was on a ferry to amsterdam

pinkkitty2007;2246874

She didnt go anywhere, read the op:x

Uh, yes she did. She was on a ferry, in the middle of the north sea, on the way to Amsterdam. Read the op :x

jasonrat;2246888

no the OP was on a ferry to amsterdam

Ahh right now it makes sense, i think i need to sleep;-)

Banned

mstiny;2246884

do u work for a mobile company then ?

no, but i wouldnt like to phone someone who i wasnt aware was on holiday and end up paying a massive phone bill, when i take my phone abroad its for emergencies, and i never answer it, if im needed they can text me and i can then contact them straight away

wow that's severe. i dont answer mobile if i am overseas unless i am expecting an important call.

i usually would leave a phone message that says sorry i'm not in the country at the moment, please do not leave a message if it's not urgent and can wait till i get back on x date and call you back ... or something like that.

you should be able in future to se it to block incoming calls so that you still get texts but not calls...

Banned

Why are you raging? Because you didn't research the costs before you went out the uk?

Original Poster

sassie;2246909

no, but i wouldnt like to phone someone who i wasnt aware was on holiday … no, but i wouldnt like to phone someone who i wasnt aware was on holiday and end up paying a massive phone bill, when i take my phone abroad its for emergencies, and i never answer it, if im needed they can text me and i can then contact them straight away

well havent came across this before and not in the "know" but i "KNOW" now and will be doind the same as u in future .

Original Poster

colinsunderland;2246951

Why are you raging? Because you didn't research the costs before you went … Why are you raging? Because you didn't research the costs before you went out the uk?

I didnt think i could be charged for calls MADE to ME that is the point of the op

mstiny;2247044

I didnt think i could be charged for calls MADE to ME that is the point … I didnt think i could be charged for calls MADE to ME that is the point of the op

Oh they do.

And they charge you more then the poerson calling you.

If you had hung up an called them back it would actually have cost less.

I don't know how they work it out but it costs more to receive a call than to make one.

colinsunderland;2246951

Why are you raging? Because you didn't research the costs before you went … Why are you raging? Because you didn't research the costs before you went out the uk?

Sounds about right.

If international calling worked the way the OP seems to think it works, you'd never need to make international-rate calls to people on the opposite side of the world, you could just buy them a £10 PAYG handset, post it over, and use all those bundled minutes of your contract's to speak for hours on end without it costing a penny. Which is a nice idea. Except, in the real world, it costs vastly more for the network operators to serve the call due to the extra countries and companies involved in the connection, and it all has to be recouped somehow. Usually, from the person who has, gasp, no choice at all but to answer the call.

you were lucky to be in amsterdam when she called, 3 suid to accept a blimin call in turkey!

I agree that if there are extrotionate charges they should be largely borne by the person who's out of the country.

I do sympathise with the op 'cos the charges are just silly.

dxx;2247072

Except, in the real world, it costs vastly more for the network operators … Except, in the real world, it costs vastly more for the network operators to serve the call due to the extra countries and companies involved in the connection, and it all has to be recouped somehow.

First time I read that I thought you actually beleived it! :whistling:

In reality the network operators are acting like the banks with their charges putting an artificially high fee on somthing that costs fractions of pence.
    Of course they'll carry on getting away with it; regular travellers make sure they have a good roaming deal and most others are only hit by this once or twice a year and don't think it enough of an issue to change network /plan.

Banned

it doesnt matter who is where if one of them is abroad then £££

lol you got of very lightly my sister made a similar mistake and it cost her over £1000

also my worst phone bill has been £360

so chill out take a deep breath and cough up cheapo

bellabonkers;2246937

you should be able in future to se it to block incoming calls so that you … you should be able in future to se it to block incoming calls so that you still get texts but not calls...

You would still be charged a high rate to recieve a text, our daughters friend just returned from holiday where she had happily been texting all her friends, costing not so much, but the bill is huge because they all text her back, costing £1 per text for her to receive.

And you should always remember to switch voicemail off, that can rack up huge bills as well.

kidcat;2247899

You would still be charged a high rate to recieve a text, our daughters … You would still be charged a high rate to recieve a text, our daughters friend just returned from holiday where she had happily been texting all her friends, costing not so much, but the bill is huge because they all text her back, costing £1 per text for her to receive.

Are you sure? I've had PAYG with O2/Orange, and contracts with Three/Vodafone, and I've never had to pay to receive texts abroad. Maybe media messages, because of the data costs, but surely not plain old sms?

Maybe it depends on provider but I've never had to pay for text either. In fact when I was on an 02 contract sent message were even taken out of my free allowance. With 3 now and still never paid.

How about phoning up and saying you honestly didn't know the charges and say you're going to cancel your contract as you're not happy about it, and see if it can be reduced? Say that'd you'd like to stay but you feel their service isn't good for you as it's cost you a lot to receive a call.

It may well vary between providers and I think there are big differences but some companies do charge you to receive text messages, and unlike calls you cant choose not to receive them which makes it unfair, but its because it bounces across different countries and their networks, your supplier has to pay them (a small amount I'll bet) so they pass an inflated charge on, same as calls, it doesnt cost anywhere near what is charged but they pass any cost on at an inflated rate. Its how they make a profit.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …85143
      2. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226
      3. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      4. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043

See more discussions