Expired

Just had a bus lane penalty just looking for a little knoledge

Found 11th Jun 2014
I entered a bus lane about 6-8 car lengths before it ends, while approaching a busy junction (Cheetham Hill road, close to Queens road) 7 minutes before the bus lane opens to cars
I have the two images on the penalty, the first shows me 3 wheels in, the second is completely dark other than the registration plate which is visible if you have good eyes. but you cant see me in the lane completely.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
35 Comments
So you admit driving in a bus lane when you shouldn't have, there is photographic evidence of you doing this, but still you want to know if you can get out of paying the fine?
Don't go in bus lanes when you shouldn't is the best advice.
Just pay it and move on (not using a bus lane).
Edited by: "steve1221" 11th Jun 2014
You entered it 7 minutes before the bus lane is open to cars...

Quite simple really.
ha, wish they caught everyone who drives in them - pitty they don't!
Were you expecting pity from us or something?
PICS OR GTFO!
Hello!

Easiest one ever to get out of. There must be a sign at the start of the bus lane and it must comply with regulations with signs.

Say it wasn't there.

Say it wasn't facing the right direction if it wasn't there (ie. youth turned it around)

It has to comply with the regulations for road signs, its possible the reflective material was damaged and you dident see it. Maybe there was a VOTE BNP sticker on the corner of the sign and this it was invalid.

Basically, I would use one of my first 2 points, they never go around checking the signs. They have no idea if was there the night of incident. You will get a letter back saying they are dropping the charges, but you the photos shows you were in bus lane and must be more diligent in the future.

Edited by: "groenleader" 11th Jun 2014
groenleader

Hello!Easiest one ever to get out of. There must be a sign at the start … Hello!Easiest one ever to get out of. There must be a sign at the start of the bus lane and it must comply with regulations with signs.Say it wasn't there. Say it wasn't facing the right direction if it wasn't there (ie. youth turned it around)It has to comply with the regulations for road signs, its possible the reflective material was damaged and you dident see it. Maybe there was a VOTE BNP sticker on the corner of the sign and this it was invalid. Basically, I would use one of my first 2 points, they never go around checking the signs. They have no idea if was there the night of incident. You will get a letter back saying they are dropping the charges, but you the photos shows you were in bus lane and must be more diligent in the future.

Or if you are happy committing fraud for financial gain anyway why not just apply for a credit card in someone else's name buy loads of stuff, sell it cheap, do this a few times, pay the fine and then keep all the remaining proceeds and there you have it, the fine is paid and you have loads of extra cash.

Once you have decided that you are happy to break the law then there are loads of money making opportunity's out there to help you pay the fine!

Or you could just pay what you are due as you are at fault here.
Edited by: "ibblackberry1" 11th Jun 2014
just pay it. You did it so it's only right you pay your fine
ibblackberry1

Or if you are happy committing fraud for financial gain anyway why not … Or if you are happy committing fraud for financial gain anyway why not just apply for a credit card in someone else's name buy loads of stuff, sell it cheap, do this a few times, pay the fine and then keep all the remaining proceeds and there you have it, the fine is paid and you have loads of extra cash.Once you have decided that you are happy to break the law then there are loads of money making opportunity's out there to help you pay the fine! Or you could just pay what you are due as you are at fault here.

I am a fleet manager part of my job is keeping my fleet on the road!

He asked for advice and I gave the answer that will get him out of the ticket.

Really they should put a camera at the start of the bus lane so they can ensure every car passes a sign then they can back up there tickets with real evidence that keeps the bus lane official and legit.

Banned
groenleader

I am a fleet manager part of my job is keeping my fleet on the road! He … I am a fleet manager part of my job is keeping my fleet on the road! He asked for advice and I gave the answer that will get him out of the ticket. Really they should put a camera at the start of the bus lane so they can ensure every car passes a sign then they can back up there tickets with real evidence that keeps the bus lane official and legit.

have you personally got off a fine for travelling in a bus lane simply by saying a sign was missing or facing the wrong way with no proof of that being the case
whatsThePoint

have you personally got off a fine for travelling in a bus lane simply by … have you personally got off a fine for travelling in a bus lane simply by saying a sign was missing or facing the wrong way with no proof of that being the case

Yes its our default reply, hence I told him what there reply will be. You have to understand, for a law to be in place it has to comply with so many rules. Just find one of those rules that you can put under scrutiny and the your a free man.

Some places they are wise to this particular strategy and will show you entering the bus lane area past a sign, but not everywhere as its not cost effective.

BBC 5 Live site has a good bit on how so few people appeal, but almost half of those that appeal bus lane tickets are successful in getting them quashed.
Banned
groenleader

Yes its our default reply, hence I told him what there reply will be. You … Yes its our default reply, hence I told him what there reply will be. You have to understand, for a law to be in place it has to comply with so many rules. Just find one of those rules that you can put under scrutiny and the your a free man. Some places they are wise to this particular strategy and will show you entering the bus lane area past a sign, but not everywhere as its not cost effective.

so I take it you make a habit of driving in bus lanes if it's as a default reply and you have little regard for other road users
Where do you stop then with that argument. If you know that you can break the law and get away on a technicality do you just go ahead and do this. Doesn't seem a good direction for society to go in, I am happy that the OP took his chances and drove in the lane, but he admits he did wrong and should accept the punishment which he was aware of prior to breaking the law.

There is no grey area here, he broke the rule, was aware of the consequences and admitted he did so. He should just pay up. The whole avoidance, blame, litigation culture is destroying this country. Just accept the consequences and move on.

Clearly on a high horse but I hate it when people try to avoid consequences of there own doing. If I get a parking ticket or speeding fine, I will moan for ages like most people on here but then pay up.
Banned
It's not rocket science, done the crime, pay the fine.
Think about how many times you've got away with it, now divide that by the amount you've been fined! Bargain!
Banned
groenleader

Hello!Easiest one ever to get out of. There must be a sign at the start … Hello!Easiest one ever to get out of. There must be a sign at the start of the bus lane and it must comply with regulations with signs.Say it wasn't there. Say it wasn't facing the right direction if it wasn't there (ie. youth turned it around)It has to comply with the regulations for road signs, its possible the reflective material was damaged and you dident see it. Maybe there was a VOTE BNP sticker on the corner of the sign and this it was invalid. Basically, I would use one of my first 2 points, they never go around checking the signs. They have no idea if was there the night of incident. You will get a letter back saying they are dropping the charges, but you the photos shows you were in bus lane and must be more diligent in the future.

if your really a fleet manager what sort of a SCROTE company do you work for? Surly you should be trying to get your drivers to drive considerately, as bad driving and breaking the law would reflect badly on your company! I certainly wouldn't want to do any business with any company, that thinks it's acceptable to ignore, break the law. If I had a problem with goods or services from your company, would any complaint be dismissed with the same attitude?
sirfentalot

ha, wish they caught everyone who drives in them - pitty they don't!

Pity that 95% of the time bus lanes are empty while cars next to it have to queue for 10 minutes at the lights. Usually thanks to few morons who don't use indicators and just block the entire junction trying to turn while confusing everyone behind them. Driving those 7 car lengths' didn't make any difference to the bus, which probably wasn't even there, but could help unload all other traffic.

Edited by: "BenderRodriguez" 11th Jun 2014
groenleader

damo1972

[quote=groenleader]Hello!Easiest one ever to get out of. There must be a … [quote=groenleader]Hello!Easiest one ever to get out of. There must be a sign at the start of the bus lane and it must comply with regulations with signs.Say it wasn't there. Say it wasn't facing the right direction if it wasn't there (ie. youth turned it around)It has to comply with the regulations for road signs, its possible the reflective material was damaged and you dident see it. Maybe there was a VOTE BNP sticker on the corner of the sign and this it was invalid. Basically, I would use one of my first 2 points, they never go around checking the signs. They have no idea if was there the night of incident. You will get a letter back saying they are dropping the charges, but you the photos shows you were in bus lane and must be more diligent in the future.

he'd probably find a loophole in it somewhere and then claim they aren't at fault!!!
http://cdn.meme.li/instances/300x300/50893823.jpg
Original Poster
groenleader

Appreciate the advice, regardless of all the negative votes you seem to be the only one who can read and comprehend English.
Got to love the moral sheep who clearly never make mistakes, speed, use mobiles,eat, drink, have no insurance, and think that driving a car gives them ownership of the road.....Anyway back to business

I was hoping that as the first picture only shows me partly in the lane and the second image is almost completely dark, cannot see anything other than plates, no road markings.....no road!!! they would need stronger evidence. Pictures are tiny which is why I didn't upload them, its hard enough looking at the originals.

There is a sign but its way back up the road, although it does say bus lane on the floor, albeit very worn

Not sure if this will work, Google maps

The red lane bit is old Google maps, its completely worn off and the first "bus lane" is almost illegible

I was 3 wheels in at the A665 which has also completely worn off

Edited by: "billybob007" 11th Jun 2014
My story is a little different . I got issued a ticket during operation safeway last year for allegedly cycling on the pavement. For years I've use this thoroughfare which abuts a town square for getting along quicker. Anyway a PCSO pulled me up and proceeded to issue an FPN ticket despite my protestations about the right of passage. The local authority bylaws do actually allow cycling along this stretch of pavement as long as
1) one is not cycling aimlessly up and down
2)one is not cycling reckless and likely to endanger the public
I was doing neither of the above but the officer wouldn't hear of it.
I duly supplied my details was asked where I was headed to which answered my work place locally. The officer then demanded that we go to my workplace practice to confirm my identity really I think because he didn't believe I was a professional. I refused as he'd already radioed all the info in an had my details confirmed . He simply did not believe I was a professional.I was threatened with arrest and and also the issuance of another ticket if I rode that stretch again.
Anyway I refused to pay the fine as I felt he'd issued the ticket wrongly in the first place and requested a court hearing within the 21 day window. All correspondence was recorded delivery. I never heard anything back till bailiffs appeared at my door one day with a court order for £450+. I got onto town planning, my ward Councillors and with the help of Principal Engineer in Strategic Transportation for the local authority proved my point and confirmed that section of the square did allow passage on a bike . The fine and court appearance have since been withdrawn. There are however other cyclists about , who perhaps not confident about standing their ground & would have paid the 50£ fine(through an officers ignorance of the bylaw) for cycling the same stretch. The PCSO is still trundling about his duties
I have ridden for over 20 years , own 7 velocipedes (including unicycles) of various design and purpose and certainly do not go riding on the pavement for fun and endanger the public. I intend to request an explanation and and maybe an apology and proceed from there

"I entered a bus lane about 6-8 car lengths before it ends"

Pay up.
Banned
darklight

My story is a little different . I got issued a ticket during operation … My story is a little different . I got issued a ticket during operation safeway last year for allegedly cycling on the pavement. For years I've use this thoroughfare which abuts a town square for getting along quicker. Anyway a PCSO pulled me up and proceeded to issue an FPN ticket despite my protestations about the right of passage. The local authority bylaws do actually allow cycling along this stretch of pavement as long as 1) one is not cycling aimlessly up and down2)one is not cycling reckless and likely to endanger the publicI was doing neither of the above but the officer wouldn't hear of it.I duly supplied my details was asked where I was headed to which answered my work place locally. The officer then demanded that we go to my workplace practice to confirm my identity really I think because he didn't believe I was a professional. I refused as he'd already radioed all the info in an had my details confirmed . He simply did not believe I was a professional.I was threatened with arrest and and also the issuance of another ticket if I rode that stretch again.Anyway I refused to pay the fine as I felt he'd issued the ticket wrongly in the first place and requested a court hearing within the 21 day window. All correspondence was recorded delivery. I never heard anything back till bailiffs appeared at my door one day with a court order for £450+. I got onto town planning, my ward Councillors and with the help of Principal Engineer in Strategic Transportation for the local authority proved my point and confirmed that section of the square did allow passage on a bike . The fine and court appearance have since been withdrawn. There are however other cyclists about , who perhaps not confident about standing their ground & would have paid the 50£ fine(through an officers ignorance of the bylaw) for cycling the same stretch. The PCSO is still trundling about his dutiesI have ridden for over 20 years , own 7 velocipedes (including unicycles) of various design and purpose and certainly do not go riding on the pavement for fun and endanger the public. I intend to request an explanation and and maybe an apology and proceed from there

totally different issue, if you were on the pavement you deserve the fine! Cyclists are a nuisance, who think they own the roads and pavements.
Original Poster
darklight

My story is a little different . I got issued a ticket during operation … My story is a little different . I got issued a ticket during operation safeway last year for allegedly cycling on the pavement. For years I've use this thoroughfare which abuts a town square for getting along quicker. Anyway a PCSO pulled me up and proceeded to issue an FPN ticket despite my protestations about the right of passage. The local authority bylaws do actually allow cycling along this stretch of pavement as long as 1) one is not cycling aimlessly up and down2)one is not cycling reckless and likely to endanger the publicI was doing neither of the above but the officer wouldn't hear of it.I duly supplied my details was asked where I was headed to which answered my work place locally. The officer then demanded that we go to my workplace practice to confirm my identity really I think because he didn't believe I was a professional. I refused as he'd already radioed all the info in an had my details confirmed . He simply did not believe I was a professional.I was threatened with arrest and and also the issuance of another ticket if I rode that stretch again.Anyway I refused to pay the fine as I felt he'd issued the ticket wrongly in the first place and requested a court hearing within the 21 day window. All correspondence was recorded delivery. I never heard anything back till bailiffs appeared at my door one day with a court order for £450+. I got onto town planning, my ward Councillors and with the help of Principal Engineer in Strategic Transportation for the local authority proved my point and confirmed that section of the square did allow passage on a bike . The fine and court appearance have since been withdrawn. There are however other cyclists about , who perhaps not confident about standing their ground & would have paid the 50£ fine(through an officers ignorance of the bylaw) for cycling the same stretch. The PCSO is still trundling about his dutiesI have ridden for over 20 years , own 7 velocipedes (including unicycles) of various design and purpose and certainly do not go riding on the pavement for fun and endanger the public. I intend to request an explanation and and maybe an apology and proceed from there

I also ride, run,walk, motorcycle and drive and have done pretty much since I was able. But your principle is correct, and if a genuine PC would have witnessed it they would have made an informed decision, or asked you to dismount.....My case would be the same, as people don't seem to realise (or more likely just plain ignorant and self righteous) is that the offence is not only alleged, it is also the interpretation of the person who witnesses it and the images I have received in the penalty don't show the dangers ahead.....Some people think you can't and shouldn't drive in bus lanes under any circumstance.......I wonder of they are clever enough to avoid potential dangers, by swerving into oncoming traffic instead....
damo1972

totally different issue, if you were on the pavement you deserve the … totally different issue, if you were on the pavement you deserve the fine! Cyclists are a nuisance, who think they own the roads and pavements.

indeed totally dif matter to this bus lane story
but the point though is whether that section of pavement allows bike? but
I guess you've never seen cycle lanes that go up onto onto the pavement and back onto roadway.
I was riding a section of pavement that allows and still allows cycles essentially because of one way gyratory system that lengthens a cyclists journey by 1/2km , This particular thoroughfare along the pavement does reduce one's travel time and there is signage permitting bikes on certain sections. I was in an allowed section.
The PCSO officer
1) did not know the bye law covering this stretch of pavement I was riding
2) or if he did then clearly I was being victimised
Either point would need addressing to avoid the same mistake being made!!!

now off to the outdoor gym for some exercise.
Laters!
billybob007

Appreciate the advice, regardless of all the negative votes you seem to … Appreciate the advice, regardless of all the negative votes you seem to be the only one who can read and comprehend English.Got to love the moral sheep who clearly never make mistakes, speed, use mobiles,eat, drink, have no insurance, and think that driving a car gives them ownership of the road.....Anyway back to business I was hoping that as the first picture only shows me partly in the lane and the second image is almost completely dark, cannot see anything other than plates, no road markings.....no road!!! they would need stronger evidence. Pictures are tiny which is why I didn't upload them, its hard enough looking at the originals.There is a sign but its way back up the road, although it does say bus lane on the floor, albeit very worn Not sure if this will work, Google mapsThe red lane bit is old Google maps, its completely worn off and the first "bus lane" is almost illegibleI was 3 wheels in at the A665 which has also completely worn off

Hello

Heres the thing, I would write back and say that you were confused by the "buses lane" road markings as they are worn (you will need to provide photos). This would be consistent with you only entering the bus lane when it was near its conclusion and also the photo is only of having 3 wheels in there. YOu either entered by mistake/confusion left OR left as you were confused about the bus lane if you had been driving in it down the whole road.

At every junction or side turning they need to put up a sign when you turn on to the road saying its a bus lane. At least from google maps this sign is not present after the car park. They council will suggest this is not a side turn/road, but you should note in your complaint its a medical centre (plenty of traffic) and add to the fact there are worn road markings this was confusing.

All of this made worse by traffic turning from Balmfield Street who also when turning right would need to be provided with a "bus lane" sign which is missing. Road markings in front of them are damaged/line not constant.

Further to this the road marking for the clearly damaged (from google earth) a head of you which added to everything else made it to confusing to make a clear judgement while driving of when or where the bus lane was or if you were legally obliged to follow it.

On those grounds the adjudicator will most likely find in your favour.

Do have a look on a few other sites like the pepipoo site which has a forum, post your predicament and what "someone" suggest you should write back and see what their eyes thinks! Its probably a better forum to conduct such debates on these topics!

pay the dam fine.

love the way you only respect the opinion of the 1 person who for some reason feels sympathy for you.

it's obviously a bus lane, you knew it was a bus lane so man up and pay.
Original Poster
groenleader

HelloHeres the thing, I would write back and say that you were confused … HelloHeres the thing, I would write back and say that you were confused by the "buses lane" road markings as they are worn (you will need to provide photos). This would be consistent with you only entering the bus lane when it was near its conclusion and also the photo is only of having 3 wheels in there. YOu either entered by mistake/confusion left OR left as you were confused about the bus lane if you had been driving in it down the whole road.At every junction or side turning they need to put up a sign when you turn on to the road saying its a bus lane. At least from google maps this sign is not present after the car park. They council will suggest this is not a side turn/road, but you should note in your complaint its a medical centre (plenty of traffic) and add to the fact there are worn road markings this was confusing.All of this made worse by traffic turning from Balmfield Street who also when turning right would need to be provided with a "bus lane" sign which is missing. Road markings in front of them are damaged/line not constant.Further to this the road marking for the clearly damaged (from google earth) a head of you which added to everything else made it to confusing to make a clear judgement while driving of when or where the bus lane was or if you were legally obliged to follow it.On those grounds the adjudicator will most likely find in your favour.Do have a look on a few other sites like the pepipoo site which has a forum, post your predicament and what "someone" suggest you should write back and see what their eyes thinks! Its probably a better forum to conduct such debates on these topics!

Once again I appreciate the info, I was gonna go down the very worn road markings and missing signs to begin with at least, I have a clean license and never had any road penalties in 20 years of motoring. It is a complicated road, I bet new drivers get had all the time Funny how people think you should just pay up without questioning anything or having 1 ounce of information,,,(probably lack the mind to use it anyway)...............I will look at pepipoo, never heard of it until now... I did check that the penalty note was legally proper, thought I'd just ask here whilst checking some deals...........I have now realised there are too many idiots on here,they seem to stand out from the decent forum members for some reason.................... good job I don't give a **** I'm sure plenty of younger members aren't as fortunate..............
billybob007

Once again I appreciate the info, I was gonna go down the very worn road … Once again I appreciate the info, I was gonna go down the very worn road markings and missing signs to begin with at least, I have a clean license and never had any road penalties in 20 years of motoring. It is a complicated road, I bet new drivers get had all the time Funny how people think you should just pay up without questioning anything or having 1 ounce of information,,,(probably lack the mind to use it anyway)...............I will look at pepipoo, never heard of it until now... I did check that the penalty note was legally proper, thought I'd just ask here whilst checking some deals...........I have now realised there are too many idiots on here,they seem to stand out from the decent forum members for some reason.................... good job I don't give a **** I'm sure plenty of younger members aren't as fortunate..............

you're right about some members not using their imagination judiciously. My tale had no relation to yours and I know it's an offence cycle on the pavement except where indicated . This is why I was contesting the FPN. That critical member in their comment further up the thread simply said "if you were on the pavement you deserve the fine". He read my tale and didn't assimilate the salient points.
These are exactly the sort of people who cannot make informed decisions for themselves and rely on a strict interpretation of the law to do so for them. Likely the same sort of people who drive up and off a cliff because the "satnav directed me that way". I wouldn't want someone like that being a cop especially if they have the intimidating habit of extracting a handkerchief and spending the whole time during the whole unnecessary period of detention folding and refolding said hankie.
All the best with your contest
I committed murder yesterday, I was caught on camera doing it and I admit to doing it but I don't want to go to jail.

Any advice on how to avoid this would be appreciated.

Edited by: "GoatzRus" 11th Jun 2014
Original Poster
darklight

you're right about some members not using their imagination judiciously. … you're right about some members not using their imagination judiciously. My tale had no relation to yours and I know it's an offence cycle on the pavement except where indicated . This is why I was contesting the FPN. That critical member in their comment further up the thread simply said "if you were on the pavement you deserve the fine". He read my tale and didn't assimilate the salient points.These are exactly the sort of people who cannot make informed decisions for themselves and rely on a strict interpretation of the law to do so for them. Likely the same sort of people who drive up and off a cliff because the "satnav directed me that way". I wouldn't want someone like that being a cop especially if they have the intimidating habit of extracting a handkerchief and spending the whole time during the whole unnecessary period of detention folding and refolding said hankie.All the best with your contest

I think you're using too many complex words , I assume your trying to throw off the hounds........
Definitely my favorite answer..............
Who is little knoledge?

GoatzRus

I committed murder yesterday, I was caught on camera doing it and I admit … I committed murder yesterday, I was caught on camera doing it and I admit to doing it but I don't want to go to jail. Any advice on how to avoid this would be appreciated.

Cut both your legs off and get a good lawyer
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants