Just had a Double Glazing Windows quote. Advice please

Found 22nd Dec 2012
Just had a double glazing quote for our house from a local company. Rosewood outside, white UPVC inside. 7 windows in total.

2x 1300x1400 Tilt and Turn (1 A rated, 1 C rated)
1x 1200x1000 Tilt and Turn (A rated)
1x 1300x1100 Casement (C rated)
1x 1200x1000 Casement (C Rated)
2x 700x1000 Casement (1 A rated, 1 C rated)
Total to fit: £4000

Does anyone know if £4000 is a good quote for this? We live in the North of Scotland. It is our first quote.

1. Misc
  2. Windows
27 Comments

Banned

Get 2 others. Then you'll know if it's good or not

get other quotes from other companies and see how they compare.

i had a qoute of £4000 a couple months ago, for 8 windows oak pvc, with all the sills etc, few larger windows as well, didnt go through with it though, just wanted to find out

http://www.energylink.org.uk/double-glazing-quotes.html

EnergyLink can arrange for you to have up to three, free no-obligation quotes from reputable companies local to you. These companies know they are competing against each other so you will receive very competitive prices. This can often save you up to 75% off the cost of your double glazing.

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/tradesmen/double-glazing.html

Get up to 5 free quotes using our online quote request system for double-glazed windows

try finding a double glazing manufacturer that will supply to the public then find someone to fit them youll save a fortune....a friend of mine was telling me about this the other day he saved a fortune

Banned

broadyo796

try finding a double glazing manufacturer that will supply to the public … try finding a double glazing manufacturer that will supply to the public then find someone to fit them youll save a fortune....a friend of mine was telling me about this the other day he saved a fortune

very true

£600 per window seems excessive to me especially as they are small
Edited by: "csiman" 22nd Dec 2012

In my experience, ALWAYS play 2 or 3 companies against each other. Say that one will throw in a free 'whatever' or will do so many windows and a free door etc. I got 9 windows (my kitchen counted as three) and a door and got a utility window thrown in for nothing for £2600 all in. One company quoted me £4500 and the highest one iirc was over £8000!!! LOL! Some of them will 'try it on' if they don't think you are wary, done your homework or haven't shopped around. Most will ask "Have you had any other quotes?" so ALWAYS say YES and even go as far as saying "And I think yours may be the highest - I'll have to check." Never make a decision on the spot. Always say you will get back to them once all quotes are in. Sometimes they will DRAMATICALLY reduce their quote to get you to make a decision immediately. DO NOT go with this. They are pulling a fast one - otherwise they could've offered you that deal in the first place. Make your decision on YOUR TIME - not theirs.

My favourite line is "Well, I don't think yours is the highest quote - not far off it though, but 'company x' can do it for 'x amount' and throw in a free 'whatever' so if you match their price I would consider using you as you can do it sooner/quicker/better quality etc. I use this tactic on a more reputable company who I would rather use than maybe a cheaper 'less well known' competitor who is probably cheaper. Most will try to match but always be prepared to have your bluff 'called' LOL! You can always double-bluff and call them back later and say "No, I'd prefer to use you - even if you are a little bit more expensive."

Just take your time - and use your head. Don't be bamboozled into a deal. Most companies have 'insurance backed' deals so the playing field is fairly level. It's down to personal taste on style, timing and quality of work. The guys I used were so good, the salesman took me in his car to visit other customers who were happy to vouch for their work. If you can get something like this - maybe see some examples of their work either in reality or picture form, that would be useful. Maybe they can suggest someone local to you who has used their services?

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do - oh, and Merry Christmas!

Regards, Phsy.

Avoid Anglian windows, DIRE..

Where exactly do you stay? PM me, I know a guy who could be cheaper

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I stay in Inverness.

Stick with 7 windows 8 is ****

Don't think he would go that far, probably the whole of Grampian but no further. I would try and get an independent person who will buy the windows for you and fit them

bazzaric

Don't think he would go that far, probably the whole of Grampian but no … Don't think he would go that far, probably the whole of Grampian but no further. I would try and get an independent person who will buy the windows for you and fit them

Don't they need a Fensa Certificate?

This looks expensive to me.
8 windows is a two day fit so let's say £500
They are not the biggest windows.
The last one I bought was 1300mm x 1300mm for £130
So even if you say £200 each that's £1600.

You should be looking at £2000 complete £2500 max

Tilt and turn doesn't make that much difference literally a case of fitting £5 hinges instead of £2.50 hinges.

Original Poster

Oh, he said casement windows were a lot cheaper than tilt and turn windows so we were going to get 4 casement windows and 3 tilt and turn windows. If we could get all 7 windows done for under £3K I would be delighted. He was a local independent guy, I know the big companies will quote a lot more

I did work with some old twerp who sold DG,

If you didn't sign up he would go back after some weeks with stones and catapult try to break a window, very very sad man, only lasted two days in the new job, sacked him. He could hit windows not targets.
Edited by: "Bumpydog" 22nd Dec 2012

Definitely go with FENSA. DO NOT USE ANYONE WHO IS CERTASS REGULATED AS THEY ARE USELESS WHEN YOU NEED BACK UP DUE TO INCOMPETENT INSTALLER.I had to take Certass to the Trading Standards who actually investigated!

richardm86

Thanks for the replies. I stay in Inverness.

Cairngorm or Fersina, although Fersina are now based in Aberdeen not Forres. Avoid Weatherseal like the plague!!

broadyo796

try finding a double glazing manufacturer that will supply to the public … try finding a double glazing manufacturer that will supply to the public then find someone to fit them youll save a fortune....a friend of mine was telling me about this the other day he saved a fortune

This is what I did and I paid £900 for 5 windows

306notout

This looks expensive to me.8 windows is a two day fit so let's say … This looks expensive to me.8 windows is a two day fit so let's say £500They are not the biggest windows.The last one I bought was 1300mm x 1300mm for £130So even if you say £200 each that's £1600.You should be looking at £2000 complete £2500 maxTilt and turn doesn't make that much difference literally a case of fitting £5 hinges instead of £2.50 hinges.

Businesses have overheads you know !!!! If a window fails you would expect the fitting company to come and sort it, There is more to it than the cost of the window and the fitting cost oO

goldmax on here is a pro, was really helpful when i needed some advice (think rupz knows his stuff too)
Edited by: "samwants2save" 22nd Dec 2012

Original Poster

samwants2save

goldmax on here is a pro, was really helpful when i needed some advice … goldmax on here is a pro, was really helpful when i needed some advice (think rupz knows his stuff too)

Thanks, I might drop them a message then.

Original Poster

Had someone else come round to give a quote. For all tilt+tun A rated windows he said he could do it for £3500-£3700. After I told him we had the previous quote of £4000.

Banned

should have told him previous quote was £2500

Original Poster

csiman

should have told him previous quote was £2500

haha yea you're probably right!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants