Groups
    EXPIRED

Just had a letter from CapQuest Debt Recovery

Hey everybody just had a letter from CapQuest Debt Recovery regarding an overdrawn hsbc bank account, now I hvae never had an hsbc bank account and was just wondering if anyone knew if this company is legitimate or if its fraud or just some other rubbish - anyone enlighten me?

The website and all looks professional enough but have never heard of this company and as i say have never had an hsbc account.

Cheers xx

19 Comments

Contact HSBC about it, and ask if the account number is attached to you.

Original Poster

theres no actual account number on it - just a reference number

Banned

andymack;5998067

theres no actual account number on it - just a reference number

SCAMMING YOU FOR DETAILS:thumbsup::santa:

Phone them anyway. You'll need to speak to their fraud department about this, either just to inform them of the scam going on in their name, or to sort out what's maybe some corrupt records on the system. It might also just be CapQuest screwing up, so give them a shout too.

Original Poster

well i phoned cap quest and they said that there was another person with the same name and date of birth in manchester and that their 'trace' department may have screwed up......sounds dodgy to me

forward email to [email protected]

they do try and track where they are coming from

wouldnt worry about it:thumbsup:

Original Poster

holly100;5998106

forward email to [email protected] do try and track where they are … forward email to [email protected] do try and track where they are coming from wouldnt worry about it:thumbsup:

no its an actual letter not an email

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5998148

No it's not at all it's a legit debt recovery agency. How they work if … No it's not at all it's a legit debt recovery agency. How they work if they "loose" someone they mail shot anyone in the area with a similar surname, or details, going on the presumption that people never mover far from their last known geographical location. They take their chances they hit the right house and they soon eliminate those it's not when they phone up to verify it's not them.There's no James Bond style scam to uncover, that's about it really as simple as it gets. Still won't do any harm to check your cf.:thumbsup:

but i live in belfast and they are claiming that this other person lives in manchester - not exactly in the same area!
    and you say the company is legit- do you know of it or are you just assumin?

Original Poster

ok just searched the compnies registry and it is a legit company - just obviously cant do their job right

Just Google,loads of info about this company as tinks said its on the MSE forum here]http//fo…e=3

Ah i see you've found info out yourself since i posted the above:thumbsup:

OK. Write to 'em .
    Tell them you confirm once and for all that you have not had an account with that bank and that you are not the person they are looking for.

Ask for their confirmation in writing, within seven days that your details have been removed form their records.

Tell them that any further communication from them must be in writing only. Any further effort on your part will be chargeable at - say - £25 a letter., payable within 30 days of invoice and that any expense incurred in pursuing payment after this time will be to their account.

Original Poster

thanks for all the help guys - gonna write a letter to them, financial ombudsman and the office of fair trading just to make a point - cheers

tinkerbell28;5998148

No it's not at all it's a legit debt recovery agency. How they work if … No it's not at all it's a legit debt recovery agency. How they work if they "loose" someone they mail shot anyone in the area with a similar surname, or details, going on the presumption that people never mover far from their last known geographical location. They take their chances they hit the right house and they soon eliminate those it's not when they phone up to verify it's not them.There's no James Bond style scam to uncover, that's about it really as simple as it gets. Still won't do any harm to check your cf.:thumbsup:

Debt recovery firms also use experian to trace people, or at least the one i used to work for did. Its quite interesting the info you can find. If you move about a bit, you sort of leave a trail and that is where they get new addresses from.

There is a standard response letter on the net for these people, they "buy" debt from banks etc and try to chase the funds/people......

I do not acknowledge ANY debt to your company. I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond further on this matter.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit) - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose £1 in payment of the statutory fee.

2. A signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement that you allege exists.

3. You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under S189 of the CCA 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities, therefore if I do not receive evidence that I owe your company any monies by 1 June 2007, I will have no hesitation in passing your details to the Office of Fair Trading.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Regarding your threat that a Doorstep Collector will call the owner of this property is denying you or anybody working on your behalf access onto their estate or grounds in relation to this disputed debt, should you or any agent acting for you attempt to gain access to the estate or its grounds, then you will be ignoring your denial of access and the owner of (enter address) will take legal steps to sue both you and or your agents for trespass, please also note that having a letterbox on the property gives you or anyone working on your behalf neither implied nor expressed rights to enter the properties boundaries, again any instances of trespass WILL lead the property owner to sue both yourselves or any agents working on your behalf.

Its 100% LEGIT company

Im sure Capquest are on my case as Abbey think i owe them money, sure they are legit, although take extra care in situations like this

andymack;5999277

thanks for all the help guys - gonna write a letter to them, financial … thanks for all the help guys - gonna write a letter to them, financial ombudsman and the office of fair trading just to make a point - cheers

Make sure at the end of the letter to add CC: and then the names/addresses of everyone you've contacted, including the one you're writing to. Usually they see other people's names and it gets them moving :thumbsup:

Original Poster

[QUOTE=tinkerbell28;5999436]Overkill much, :whistling:

without a doubt yes!
    just dont appreciate the hassle!

HOW TO DEAL WITH THESE BULLIES
    Capquest Group Ltd. is a UK company that buys other peoples' debts. This is their main business. They buy these debts for pennies in the pound, and then try to claim the full amount. Unfortunately, it's not illegal.

However, what Capquest do in many cases, is illegal. They contact people and claim money when no legally enforceable contract exists. They bully and harass their victims, sometimes telephoning up to 10 times a day - and keep this up for weeks or in some cases - months.This is HARRASSMENT under PROTECTION FROM HARASSMENT ACT 1997. This is a CRIMINAL Act which can lead to 6 months imprisonment and/or a level 5 fine.

They refuse to provide copies of relevant agreements and use illegal tactics.

They use solicitors' headed notepaper to scare you, but you can find out how to complain to the Law Society about this. Challenge this company, don't pay money when you don't owe it.
    They send out letters resembling telegrams, from a company they own called Telogram Ltd. They don't identify them as being from a debt collector.

They're bullies - and the only way to beat them is to stand up to them and have the perpetrators arrested and convicted. You'll find all the information you need here to do it.

Capquest is supposedly a British company, but is jointly owned by two overseas companies, Blue Ocean Investments, registered in Luxembourg and BRUinvest registered in the British Virgin Islands. The ultimate controlling party is Blue Sky Trust, a Bahamian company.

Why is this? So they don't pay any tax, there is no other reason. Doubt if the Tax man will see much from these parasites. These types of company usually move 'loans'around their companies and never show a profit, and so pay no tax. This tells you about Capquest and the type of company it is. Reputable? What do you think? Time to close them down!
    The British 'director' (or puppet, as some might say) in charge is Michael Daniels, but the strings are pulled by two characters called Joseph Arthur Dlutowski and Mark Andrew Brunault who are American 'vulture capitalists'. Both with a history in the sub-prime loan market and the desire to make a quick buck.
    They're struggling, so challenge each and every demand they make. Make them work for their money. Never speak to them on the telephone, always write to them. Block their number or have it diverted to either the OFT or the police. If they contact you, use this letter to challenge the alleged 'debt'. Write to them, using the letter below. Send it by Recorded Delivery and enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee. If the debt is older than six years and you have had no contact in that time, then use the letter here.
    Ancells Business Park,
    Ancells Road
    FLEET
    GU51 2UJ
    Dear Sirs,
    Yr. Ref.
    I do not acknowledge any debt to your company.
    For your information, all communications regarding this matter must be in writing for Court use. Personal callers will neither be admitted nor spoken to. Telephone calls will not be answered or acknowledged. If your telephone calls continue,they will be taken as HARRASSMENT under PROTECTION FROM HARASSMENT ACT 1997. This is a CRIMINAL Act which can lead to 6 months imprisonment and/or a level 5 fine. I shall therefore report you personally to the police.
    You are required to supply the following before I will enter into any further correspondence with you.
    1. You must supply me with a copy of the agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement which is s.78 (1) CCA 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit) - your obligation extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee.
    2. You are also obliged to supply a copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement.
    3. You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not.
    Failure to comply with my request will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authority.
    I await your response in writing.

Yours faithfully, Use this letter for debts older than 6 years for which you have had no contact.

Michael Daniels,
    Capquest Group Ltd.,
    Centaur House,
    Ancells Business Park,
    Ancells Road
    FLEET
    GU51 2UJ
    WITHOUT PREJUDICE
    Dear Sir
    Re: Account No/Reference No:
    No debt is acknowledged to you. You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.
    I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.” If your telephone calls continue,they will be taken as HARRASSMENT under PROTECTION FROM HARASSMENT ACT 1997. This is a CRIMINAL Act which can lead to 6 months imprisonment and/or a level 5 fine. We shall therefore report you personally to the police.
    The last payment or acknowledgement of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.
    I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed. If you do not supply such confirmation, I will be making a complaint to the statutory authorities.
    I look forward to your reply. Capquest

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force69
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767363
    3. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2975
    4. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow712

See more discussions