Expired

Just installed a new SSD and now my games won't run smoothly. Any ideas?

27 replies
Found 1st Aug 2014
as title suggests i have just installed a new SSD to my PC and a fresh install of windows 7, installed my drivers and other essential software, finally games.

Problem being is that i can not play any games smoothly as the frame rates drop frequently down to 1 and then back up again. this happens to all games either newer ones or older ones i.e Watch Dogs and STALKER.

The BIOS has been set to AHCI and there are no problems highlighted in device manager. This is getting annoying as its like the CPU is running on one core when the frame rates drop. I have ran Anti-Virus and found nothing (as expected ona fresh install of windows)

The PC consists of a Phenom II X4 960T, 8GB RAM, Nvidia 460GTX,500 W Corsair PSU (bronze rated) and the 250GB SSD.

I'd like to thin that im pretty confident when it comes to PCs and hardware but being its my 1st SSD have i missed anything obvious?

TIA

27 Comments

Setting the BIOS to AHCI is the only change you need to make - that and remembering not to defrag.

I'd check event viewer to see if there are any errors there and also try and download diags from the disk manufacturer

Original Poster

Nothing on event viewer related, the games dont crash, just don't run smoothly. Tried up dating the graphics driver to the latest and tried an older one as well, still no joy. Getting annoying now.

Question... did you use the motherboard drivers or the one Microsoft tries to install?

Oh and is it attached to a SATA3 port? When I installed my SSD I accidentally plugged the sata cable into the wrong port (sata2) and the speeds and the whole install of Windows was so slow.

Evouk

Oh and is it attached to a SATA3 port? When I installed my SSD I … Oh and is it attached to a SATA3 port? When I installed my SSD I accidentally plugged the sata cable into the wrong port (sata2) and the speeds and the whole install of Windows was so slow.

that would also depend on whether they have bought a 2 or 3 HDD as well

and does your motherboard support the new sata type?

Original Poster

I downloaded the most recent ones from the ASUS website, which i had also been previously using.

The sata ports are all 3Gb/s but wont make this problem appear with games, windows and other applications are fine.

The mobo is a Asus M5A78l-M LX V2 and the SSD in question is the Samsung 840EVO 250Gb on the latest firmware.

Cheers for the replies

Watch Dogs is stuttery anyway. So if you're using that as a benchmark you're not going to get anywhere. Deus Ex - Human Revolution (not the new version) is the smoothest I've played. And Bioshock too. Try those.
Also in power options set it to high performance.
Edited by: "rev6" 2nd Aug 2014

Original Poster

Well i just installed Mass Effect 3 onto my HDD and it ran with no problems, but when it was running on the SSD it was the same as any other game. So it must be something with the SSD not working right.

Hers a screenshot of about 5 mins worth of playing Watch dogs, its like the computer is providing power then cutting it off and back on a gain.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/mac9091/GPUusage.png

Why don't you take a clone of the SSD and restore it back to the HDD, this way you can tell if it is the SSD, there are too many variables involved, you have installed the operating system fresh so it could be drivers, updates, registry settings, etc. If you take a clone and then put it on the HDD and if it works fine then you know its the SSD.

Or vice versa, take a clone of the HDD and restore that to the SSD and see if it works.

Original Poster

The game is installed on the HDD and running windows on the SSD.

Just going to run Mass effect 3 on the SSD and get a screenshot of the processor and graphics usage then do the same running the game on the HDD and compare results.

I'd double check all wires and components inside box.

Also run benchmarking software see if that gives a steady frame rate.

You can't always assume just because the SSD is new that it isn't faulty. TBH your SSD wouldn't be running at full speed anyway since your motherboard only has Sata 3gb/s and not 6gb/s ports. Have you tried a different Sata cable? With normal HDD whether its on Sata 3 or 6 you wouldn't hardly see a difference but with SSD you will as the read/write speeds would be slower and maybe that's why when it comes to gaming you're having issues. For example I used to run Battlefield 4 (we all know what a killer that is on your system) on my HDD and I did have issues such as freezing and lock ups. Now I'm running it on the SSD and no problems at all. Maps load quicker also.
Edited by: "Evouk" 2nd Aug 2014

Original Poster

Theres no way that the SSD is running slower than my old HDD.

Hadn't even though about running a benchmark, would make it easier to see whats going on and when.

According to the Samsung Magician its reading @ 2377 Writing @1995. Somehow i think thats wrong, seen as thats 4x what they say it can do.

mclovin9091

Well i just installed Mass Effect 3 onto my HDD and it ran with no … Well i just installed Mass Effect 3 onto my HDD and it ran with no problems, but when it was running on the SSD it was the same as any other game. So it must be something with the SSD not working right.Hers a screenshot of about 5 mins worth of playing Watch dogs, its like the computer is providing power then cutting it off and back on a gain.

My card will do that if it's not getting enough power. So a little more voltage solves it.

Original Poster

Can't adjust the voltage in windows, only in the BIOS and i don't se that i would need to do that due to it working fine before the upgrade to SSD which uses slightly less power than a HDD.

I've just reinstalled windows again, so hopefully everything will be alright now.

mclovin9091

Can't adjust the voltage in windows, only in the BIOS and i don't se that … Can't adjust the voltage in windows, only in the BIOS and i don't se that i would need to do that due to it working fine before the upgrade to SSD which uses slightly less power than a HDD.I've just reinstalled windows again, so hopefully everything will be alright now.

You can adjust GPU voltage in afterburner. Enable voltage adjusting in the settings.

Sounds daft but check your Sata cables. Open resource monitor and check under the Disk tab what your Highest Active Time. If it's hitting 100% then your system will grind to a complete stop until it drops back down again.

Original Poster

Reinstalled windows + drivers from the original discs= no joy.

Sata cables are fine. Resource monitor gets no where near 100% even when the game freezes. Im starting to think that the graphics driver might be at fault, as if the driver failed that would cause the frame rates to drop until it could restart and catch up again.

mclovin9091

Reinstalled windows + drivers from the original discs= no joy.Sata cables … Reinstalled windows + drivers from the original discs= no joy.Sata cables are fine. Resource monitor gets no where near 100% even when the game freezes. Im starting to think that the graphics driver might be at fault, as if the driver failed that would cause the frame rates to drop until it could restart and catch up again.

If the driver failed the game would crash. I still think the GPU isn't getting enough power.

Banned

Do you not have access to another pc to try the ssd in that...

Try a diffrent cable in the gpu from the psu, it's a pain when these things happen but it is a case of trying all the diffrent ports and wires, things break and get old over time... My media pc died the other week I thought the psu had gone it turned out to be Mobo....

Also put hdd back in and take out ssd to see if the problem goes away...

Original Poster

rev6

If the driver failed the game would crash. I still think the GPU isn't … If the driver failed the game would crash. I still think the GPU isn't getting enough power.

Na the game minimizes back to desktop and you get a error message from the GeForce Experience program. Don't see why changing the storage drives over would result in the Graphics card all of a sudden not getting enough power. It worked fine before and im not going to over volt it.

Cheers though.

Original Poster

pigbutty

Do you not have access to another pc to try the ssd in that... Also put … Do you not have access to another pc to try the ssd in that... Also put hdd back in and take out ssd to see if the problem goes away...

Yeah but not one thats good for games, so theres no point as there is not a problem unless playing games.

Thats the next step

Cheers

mclovin9091

Na the game minimizes back to desktop and you get a error message from … Na the game minimizes back to desktop and you get a error message from the GeForce Experience program. Don't see why changing the storage drives over would result in the Graphics card all of a sudden not getting enough power. It worked fine before and im not going to over volt it.Cheers though.

Looking at your afterburner, seeing it spike constantly and relax, that's a sign of not enough power. Just slightly though, as too little would freeze/crash the driver.
Are you running the game from the SSD or a HDD?
Edited by: "rev6" 5th Aug 2014

Original Poster

Tried running the game on both the SSD and HDD, at 1st it looked as though the HDD was running it fine but after about 5 mins it reverted back to the usual experience.

I'll reluctantly try upping the voltage, what would be the most you would say to up by the most?

Cencel that it wont let me up the voltage, each time i press apply it reverts back to 1000. EDIT: Got it to sit at 1012 but no difference in game.

I have removed the graphics card and will try the integrated one to see if its the card

Edited by: "mclovin9091" 5th Aug 2014

Original Poster

Somethings not firing right. Just checked the Passmark site for my card and CPU

AMD Phenom II X4 960T: Average mark = 3880
Nvidia Ge-Force GTX 460: Average mark = 2666

My system: CPU = 2362 and GPU= 1973

mclovin9091

Tried running the game on both the SSD and HDD, at 1st it looked as … Tried running the game on both the SSD and HDD, at 1st it looked as though the HDD was running it fine but after about 5 mins it reverted back to the usual experience.I'll reluctantly try upping the voltage, what would be the most you would say to up by the most?Cencel that it wont let me up the voltage, each time i press apply it reverts back to 1000. EDIT: Got it to sit at 1012 but no difference in game.I have removed the graphics card and will try the integrated one to see if its the card

Try about 1050, it won't be harmed. If not then I don't know. I run Windows 8.1 Update 1 myself, always had issues with Windows 7 and Aero. If you can try another Windows operating system that could get rid of the software side of things, then you can focus on hardware.

Original Poster

Tried 1050, i think its either the PSU or mobo in their way out
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz1014
    2. can i swap out ssd frequently? day to day stuff22
    3. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522888
    4. Add one, leave one game54415470

See more discussions