Groups

Just ordered a HTC magic

Now... What good Apps do i need to get for it?

What ones are good for UK users?

Have any of the Augmented reality ones been released yet?

38 Comments

im running a G1 and the best apps n my view so far are:

ChompSMS: SMS replacement.. tbh a must have makes text messaging look better.
    Toggle Settings: Quick access to specific settings data on off, ring profile etc
    Twidroid: of course only ifyou are a twitter user
    Hi MSN: MSN Messenger for your phone
    Shopsavvy: Barcode Scanner that lets you make list
    ixMAT Scan: Barcode scanner that does several differnet types of codes.
    Pkt Auction: handy dandy Ebay interface
    AK Notepad: great notes app
    Shazam: Music recognition app
    Buddy Runner: if you run this tracks your route, time distance etc.. Brilliant.
    Advanced task manager: Lets you know whats running at any given time
    LAST.FM: Internet radio

Games:
    Abduction!
    Bonsai Blast
    Cestos
    Friction Mobile

Original Poster

Jetpac;5303381

im running a G1 and the best apps n my view so far are:ChompSMS: SMS … im running a G1 and the best apps n my view so far are:ChompSMS: SMS replacement.. tbh a must have makes text messaging look better.Toggle Settings: Quick access to specific settings data on off, ring profile etcTwidroid: of course only ifyou are a twitter userHi MSN: MSN Messenger for your phoneShopsavvy: Barcode Scanner that lets you make listixMAT Scan: Barcode scanner that does several differnet types of codes.Pkt Auction: handy dandy Ebay interfaceAK Notepad: great notes appShazam: Music recognition appBuddy Runner: if you run this tracks your route, time distance etc.. Brilliant.Advanced task manager: Lets you know whats running at any given timeLAST.FM: Internet radioGames:Abduction!Bonsai BlastCestosFriction Mobile

Thanks, i'll take a look.

Is there any GPS software i should get?

Titchimp;5303392

Thanks, i'll take a look. Is there any GPS software i should get?

There is AndNav2 but tbh i haven't really tried it yet.

and as for AR you have wikitude i think, i dont have much use for it, but its there.
    Theres a good app coming out soon called Key Ring which lets you scan in all your club cards (Tesco, Nectar etc) digitally recreate them on the phone, then just scan them right from the phone instead of carrying a ton of club cards.

FBook!

Do you mind posting your impressions of the phone when you get it? I was thinking about waiting to see if there is a new iPhone but very tempted by the magic as Android looks very promising, potentially better than the IPhone imo. Will go and have a look in the Vodafone shop later in the week. Only thing putting me off is the 500Mb fair use policy on Voda's "unlimited" internet.

I'd also be interested in what the best apps are, Locale sounds great to me so far. Switches your phones status dependant on location (using GPS, something the iPhone can't do apparently due to lack of multitasking) so I could set it to always go on to the silent profile when I walk in to the gym (keep it in a locker) and back to normal when I walk out, and change from the not work safe wallpaper to a more mundane pic when I get in to work etc.

nonemoremannion;5303568

FBook!

Fbook is garbage. you are better off using m.facebook.com or x.facebook.com

JimmyW;5303587

Do you mind posting your impressions of the phone when you get it? I was … Do you mind posting your impressions of the phone when you get it? I was thinking about waiting to see if there is a new iPhone but very tempted by the magic as Android looks very promising, potentially better than the IPhone imo. Will go and have a look in the Vodafone shop later in the week. Only thing putting me off is the 500Mb fair use policy on Voda's "unlimited" internet.I'd also be interested in what the best apps are, Locale sounds great to me so far. Switches your phones status dependant on location (using GPS, something the iPhone can't do apparently due to lack of multitasking) so I could set it to always go on to the silent profile when I walk in to the gym (keep it in a locker) and back to normal when I walk out, and change from the not work safe wallpaper to a more mundane pic when I get in to work etc.

The android platform is truly brilliant. i cannot believe how easy it is to use. i also feel it is better than the Iphone. The magic looks very well built and the touch keyboard is solid. its so flexible.

and FYI i thing virtually every phone company sticks a 500mb fair usage policy on their unlimited internet :thumbsup:

i have a G1 myself but they bot run off of the same software, the G1 just has a keyboard! Locale is pretty nifty, just not something i really have that much use for at the mo.

Original Poster

Sure thing, will do.

I didn't realise it was limited to 500mb, i might have to re-think my order as alot of the apps made for it use the net. .

Titchimp;5303627

Sure thing, will do. I didn't realise it was limited to 500mb, i might … Sure thing, will do. I didn't realise it was limited to 500mb, i might have to re-think my order as alot of the apps made for it use the net. .

500mb is A LOT for a mobile device. as ive said above its very unlikely you will go anywhere near 500mb tbh and you will find its the same fair usage on pretty much every network.

Have you got the 1.5 software yet Jetpac? I'm on T-Mobile and was tempted by the G1 when they offered it to me, but wasn't too keen with the new 1.0 OS; potential bugs, lack of apps etc.

All the other operators have at least 1GB fair usage, and Vodafone are the only one who stipulate in their T&C they reserve the right to charge you if you exceed that (all the others state they will contact you first and try and resolve it) Vodafone also charge £2/Mb!! so you could potentially run up a huge bill.

Original Poster

Jetpac;5303640

500mb is A LOT for a mobile device. as ive said above its very unlikely … 500mb is A LOT for a mobile device. as ive said above its very unlikely you will go anywhere near 500mb tbh and you will find its the same fair usage on pretty much every network.

I guess, i was just reading on the voda forum and someone reckons his used 17mb in under 2 days.

Another example of usage is 30mins on iplayer is 120mb. . .

Surfing sites like facebook is also going to eat into the bandwidth

Titchimp;5303627

Sure thing, will do. I didn't realise it was limited to 500mb, i might … Sure thing, will do. I didn't realise it was limited to 500mb, i might have to re-think my order as alot of the apps made for it use the net. .

Thanks fwiw, a Vodafone mod stated on their forum they have checked, and double checked with the powers that be, and confirmed if you do exceed the 500Mb they will contact you and try and find a way to resolve the issue - increased cap, reducing data usage etc.

Yep i run 1.5, i havent come across any bugs or issues at all. There are tons of apps now and there will be more piling ing soon as the developers of iphone apps get on board and port to android aswell.

Orange run 500mb fair usage aswell ( I am on Orange). I think O2 are less. the only network i know that offer 1000mb data usage is 3, but you have o pay a premium for it.

500mb is more than enough, i used 200mb in my first month of using my g1 and i was using the net and net using apps A LOT.

Titchimp;5303683

I guess, i was just reading on the voda forum and someone reckons his … I guess, i was just reading on the voda forum and someone reckons his used 17mb in under 2 days. Another example of usage is 30mins on iplayer is 120mb. . . Surfing sites like facebook is also going to eat into the bandwidth

You still arent going to find an unlimited plan with that much allowance, as it is only a mobile device.
    Sites like facebook, which i presume you will access alot have mobile versions which are much better suited and use less data. Trust me you wont use 500mb (unless you do start using Iplayer all the time.).

Don't panic. as ive said, 500mb is a hell of a lot of data for a mobile device.
    you probably wont even use it as much as you would think you would. i mean i use mine an awful lot, but not as much as i thought i would.

Original Poster

Thats cool, i might phone them up when i get it and say i wanna send it back because of the low usage plan, will see what they say about it, will prob keep it and see anyway.

If you don't mind me asking Titchimp, where did you order from? the best deal seems to be dialaphone (£30 p/m with £60 quidco) but they can't port a number to Vodafone, but can do it with ever other operator! arrrrrgh.

Original Poster

JimmyW;5303898

If you don't mind me asking Titchimp, where did you order from? the best … If you don't mind me asking Titchimp, where did you order from? the best deal seems to be dialaphone (£30 p/m with £60 quidco) but they can't port a number to Vodafone, but can do it with ever other operator! arrrrrgh.

Doh, missed that. I went with vodafone direct, £35 per month with £90 quidco

Sorry to make you feel worse, but I believe there was a thread on here somewhere that allowed you to get £125 cashback from dialaphone (quidco, refer a friend, and some other thing) which would bring the contract down to about £23 a month! I'm thinking of doing that but it would mean losing my current gold number

Will go and have a play with the Magic at lunch time tomorrow though and see what it's like.

Original Poster

JimmyW;5319991

Sorry to make you feel worse, but I believe there was a thread on here … Sorry to make you feel worse, but I believe there was a thread on here somewhere that allowed you to get £125 cashback from dialaphone (quidco, refer a friend, and some other thing) which would bring the contract down to about £23 a month! I'm thinking of doing that but it would mean losing my current gold number :(Will go and have a play with the Magic at lunch time tomorrow though and see what it's like.

I did see a good deal but it was chashback via redemption so i just went direct and got the £90 quidco.

I will look around though, i can always send it back

Have you got yours yet? just been to phones4u and had a play with one and I'm very impressed, had to play along that I was interested in paying £40 a month for the privilege though, which of course I wasn't as the same tariff is only £30 on their own website. Out the box, I actually prefer android to my old iPhone, the drag down bar at the top with all the status messages is a great feature. Will probably order one later I think.

Original Poster

JimmyW;5330742

Have you got yours yet? just been to phones4u and had a play with one and … Have you got yours yet? just been to phones4u and had a play with one and I'm very impressed, had to play along that I was interested in paying £40 a month for the privilege though, which of course I wasn't as the same tariff is only £30 on their own website. Out the box, I actually prefer android to my old iPhone, the drag down bar at the top with all the status messages is a great feature. Will probably order one later I think.

no. Phoned Vodafone today and they couldnt find my details, i know i did it properly though because quidco has tracked. He was just going to take my details on the phone and they cut my off. Not going well so far!

haha, order from dialaphone! you may still get the Vodafone Quidco you never know, and you can get the contract £5 cheaper a month with £105 cashback

Original Poster

JimmyW;5330896

haha, order from dialaphone! you may still get the Vodafone Quidco you … haha, order from dialaphone! you may still get the Vodafone Quidco you never know, and you can get the contract £5 cheaper a month with £105 cashback

hehe, i might just do that. Where is the £105 cashback? Can only see £60

hotukdeals.com/ite…co/

As in that thread, should be able to click through quidco and then just change the link for an extra £45, majority of people in that thread stated they got paid both no problem.

Original Poster

Hmm, well it has arrived. lol. After not finding my details it turns out they had already sent it, its currently sitting in its box, i think i will phone them and get it returned so i can get the dial a phone deal!

Ahh after all that! I ordered from Dialaphone last night, should be delivered tomorrow and quidco has already tracked. If you do order from dialaphone as I'm now a customer, at the last step of ordering it asks who referred you, you can use me if you like and we can split the cashback, having said that I think it's only £20 now, used to be something like £40 or £60.

Original Poster

JimmyW;5337778

Ahh after all that! I ordered from Dialaphone last night, should be … Ahh after all that! I ordered from Dialaphone last night, should be delivered tomorrow and quidco has already tracked. If you do order from dialaphone as I'm now a customer, at the last step of ordering it asks who referred you, you can use me if you like and we can split the cashback, having said that I think it's only £20 now, used to be something like £40 or £60.

PM me what i need to put in the box, i'll be ordering tonight i think. :thumbsup:

You just need my new number, logged in to my account and it's just been added to my order now awaiting dispatch so I will PM it to you in a minute.

Was a bit gutted to lose my current number (44 22 99 88) as they can't port, but the new one I got softens the blow a little, turned out to be a great number

Original Poster

They can't port? Noes!
    I'll order anyway, i'm sure i can port by phoning up Vodafone after

Don't do it! Vodafone can't port retrospectively I read on the Vodafone forum someone asked how they port after ordering from phones4u/dialaphone and the answer from one of the Voda representatives was they can't, advised they send it back and reorder the phone direct as they can only port a number at the point of sale, which is ridiculous really as every other provider can do it.

Original Poster

Well today voda ported my old phone rendering me phone less and in need of something so magic it was, Lol. Getting on well with it so far!

Yeah it's a great phone, although I'm finding the network coverage appalling. Don't think it's a Vodafone issue as I've not had a problem in the past, I'm getting voicemail half the time as there isn't a strong enough signal, but when I put the sim in my blackberry, it's still fairly weak but I can call the phone no problem

Banned

Documents to Go allows for you to create and view word and excel documents. It costs $30, but I've got a cracked APK file if you want it mate.

king1gazza;5350603

Documents to Go allows for you to create and view word and excel … Documents to Go allows for you to create and view word and excel documents. It costs $30, but I've got a cracked APK file if you want it mate.

do you need a rooted phone to install that?

Banned

Nope, I've got a load of cracked apps. All you need is an app manager/installer which can be downloaded from the Android Market for free. Place all your apps on the SD, and the app installer finds them and installs to the phone. I've run out of Internal memory as apps can only be installed to the phone memory :-(

king1gazza;5350677

Nope, I've got a load of cracked apps. All you need is an app … Nope, I've got a load of cracked apps. All you need is an app manager/installer which can be downloaded from the Android Market for free. Place all your apps on the SD, and the app installer finds them and installs to the phone. I've run out of Internal memory as apps can only be installed to the phone memory :-(

hook a brother up?

Banned

I've mainly got games, but got a couple of apps, let me know what you want and I'll have a look and send them over. Best way to give them to you?

Email i guess?
    that docs to go would be good. and any games/apps you think are top notch
    have some rep :P

I love the sky map app, that and wikitude really show off what this phone can do. Oh and the metal detector, that one really throws people.

Managed to fix my service problem too, just had to disable 3G in the end, not ideal but I only need to do it at home and it connects via wifi there anyway - maybe locale can take care of that.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick88
      3. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2324

See more discussions