Groups

Just ordered myself a macbook - will I love it?

Has anyone got one and what are your thoughts. It was an expensive treat but I am in the market for a new lappy and I had a play with one of these yesterday and it felt like a porche at the side of my cronky old dell

29 Comments

If you put Ubuntu on it you will ...

You probably won't but will feel compelled to to justify the price.

as long as you don't want to run any of your old software you will be fine

Original Poster

Ubuntu?

Have you got one krazie?

Hey, its a really great looking laptop, i just installed windows onto mine, so i like it even more now because if your a windows user, the change to mac OS X is a hard one!

greatminds;7836486

Ubuntu?Have you got one krazie?

Ubuntu is far superior to OS X

greatminds;7836486

Ubuntu?Have you got one krazie?

My sister has one, I can't really get used to it. Maybe i need to play with it a little longer.

Original Poster

The reviews have said it will take some getting used to but I only use it for online shopping, facebook and editing photos

greatminds;7836506

The reviews have said it will take some getting used to but I only use it … The reviews have said it will take some getting used to but I only use it for online shopping, facebook and editing photos

I dont know what type of user you are, but you've got a good laptop there, so try and use it to the fullness of its abilities! Macs are pretty great for style and speed, but i prefer windows personally.

linuxlinks;7836490

Isn't Ubuntu the OS where you have to spend hours googling and typing commands out just to get something as basic as a wireless card to function, and that isn't compatible almost any form of advanced software?

Original Poster

warehousestock;7836520

I dont know what type of user you are, but you've got a good laptop … I dont know what type of user you are, but you've got a good laptop there, so try and use it to the fullness of its abilities! Macs are pretty great for style and speed, but i prefer windows personally.

I was really excited about it but now I am feeling a little apprehensive :?

you'll like it, trust me!
    I've been windows all my life, and all I use my laptop for is downloading, facebook/browsing and listening to music + watching films!

You'll love it!!! I recently converted over to Mac, took a while to get used to but I don't regret it at all - nor spending the few extra hundreds lol!

You will love it, they are so easy to use.

I would rather have one of my testicles removed than go back to windows.

dxx;7836528

Isn't Ubuntu the OS where you have to spend hours googling and typing … Isn't Ubuntu the OS where you have to spend hours googling and typing commands out just to get something as basic as a wireless card to function, and that isn't compatible almost any form of advanced software?

No No No... you haven't quite got the measure of the stereotypes yet.

Windows is for Boring people, OSX is for Gay People and Linux (Ubuntu) is for very spotty people with glasses and hats with propellors on top!

There :thumbsup:

Seriously its just a laptop.... some people like them some people don't. Its nice to have the option to run Windows and OSX on the same machine without grief but looking at OP its just a surfer machine fair play to the OP for treating themselves Hope you like it.

PS you were always gonna get shot down as soon as you inputted your thread title..... don't take it personally like most people do.

I hope you love it, I love my MacBook

Original Poster

Celticsun;7836649

No No No... you haven't quite got the measure of the stereotypes … No No No... you haven't quite got the measure of the stereotypes yet.Windows is for Boring people, OSX is for Gay People and Linux (Ubuntu) is for very spotty people with glasses and hats with propellors on top!There :thumbsup:Seriously its just a laptop.... some people like them some people don't. Its nice to have the option to run Windows and OSX on the same machine without grief but looking at OP its just a surfer machine fair play to the OP for treating themselves Hope you like it.PS you were always gonna get shot down as soon as you inputted your thread title..... don't take it personally like most people do.

I won't be doing that I expected some negs and some positives. Nice to see some people love them and am back to being excited now :-D

OS sounds great for me then :thumbsup:

linuxlinks;7836490

Look everyone! I'm saying Ubuntu! I must be really cool, eh?

Not just that, I've also got linux in my user name!

Go on then - beat that!

"Just ordered myself a macbook - will I love it?"

Sure, why not. Might need some lube and an electrical wrist band.

dxx;7836528

Isn't Ubuntu the OS where you have to spend hours googling and typing … Isn't Ubuntu the OS where you have to spend hours googling and typing commands out just to get something as basic as a wireless card to function, and that isn't compatible almost any form of advanced software?

No, it just works...

Banned

dcx_badass;7837447

You spent double the money for half the specifications, so upto you if … You spent double the money for half the specifications, so upto you if you like wasting money really.

It's only a waste if you don't like using it.

I offer the same advice in regards to Macs as I do in regards to your rants against people having sex.

Perhaps give it a go before dismissing it:thumbsup:

Banned

dcx_badass;7837634

I've used a mac before, nothing special, they charge double the price for … I've used a mac before, nothing special, they charge double the price for the same parts, only difference is the operating system, which you can use on almost any PC anyway. Also that new mouse is absolutely horrible.

So in your mind, they're a waste.

In mine and a lot of other people's, they're preferable to Windows laptops (which I have to pay the same amount for roughly).

It's why it's a strange thread - it's personal preference.

greatminds;7836717

I won't be doing that I expected some negs and some positives. Nice … I won't be doing that I expected some negs and some positives. Nice to see some people love them and am back to being excited now :-DOS sounds great for me then :thumbsup:

The downsides are Apple's lack of support for standard options, you have to use mouse acceleration (bleugh), you have to carry and adapter round for video output, you have to live with an insanely reflective screen and so on.

Being a laptop it's not as bad because all the other laptop makers are still stuck in proprietary mode so things like an often high cost of repair you'd have to put up with from any laptop maker.

Banned

dcx_badass;7838667

Maybe you pay the same amount if you get ripped off by salesmen, but … Maybe you pay the same amount if you get ripped off by salesmen, but no-one else is stupid enough to pay mac prices for a PC.

Realistically, the only Windows laptop I would use would be a Sony Vaio and they are comparable in price to a Macbook Pro.

I'm sure I could pick up a cheaper Asus or Dell, but I wouldn't consider using one on a day to day basis.

I'm sure you will love it, once you go Mac you never go back :thumbsup:

FilthAndFurry;7838797

Realistically, the only Windows laptop I would use would be a Sony Vaio … Realistically, the only Windows laptop I would use would be a Sony Vaio and they are comparable in price to a Macbook Pro.I'm sure I could pick up a cheaper Asus or Dell, but I wouldn't consider using one on a day to day basis.

Why not, cos they never work? Like the one I've been using 12 hours a day, every day, for the last 9 months.

Banned

deek72;7839795

Why not, cos they never work? Like the one I've been using 12 hours a … Why not, cos they never work? Like the one I've been using 12 hours a day, every day, for the last 9 months.

I'm not a big fan of the build quality and styling. I like a silent laptop, that looks good and I find Sony consistently offer that.

FilthAndFurry;7839872

I'm not a big fan of the build quality and styling. I like a silent … I'm not a big fan of the build quality and styling. I like a silent laptop, that looks good and I find Sony consistently offer that.

Don't know what you are talking about I love the fact every sub £500 laptop I have ever used has the battery longevity equivalent to a ripe banana ;-)

I would agree with what your saying about build quality the Sonys are nice machines.

Original Poster

Arrived today and so far I am hooked :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Samsung or Hisense33
      2. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?22
      3. What's the best gas and electric deals about ?77
      4. What to do?????710

See more discussions