Expired

Just saw a snake or a slow worm in my back garden

Found 4th MayEdited by:"summerof76"
I need some advice from someone who knows about snakes or slow worms. Just saw something slither out of an old blanket. It's a beige and about 8 inches and it's smooth with no pattern. Would this be a grass snake ???? I have a fish pond with a few koi and goldfish and i'm worried the snake will go in my pond. Any advice would be helpful.
Community Updates
Top comments
deeky40 m ago

It was the beige, smooth and 8 inches that made you think of me, wasn't …It was the beige, smooth and 8 inches that made you think of me, wasn't it?

Don't forget 'slow'.

I'm still thinking of @summerof76's bush hiding something 8 inches long.
Saturn1 m ago

Knew it.

It was the beige, smooth and 8 inches that made you think of me, wasn't it?
It's a slow worm I think summer. Had a little look online. It's protected and doesn't eat fish just slugs and bugs. Google slow worm.
33744690-RTTGN.jpg
33744706-buChc.jpg
43 Comments
It's a slow worm I think summer. Had a little look online. It's protected and doesn't eat fish just slugs and bugs. Google slow worm.
33744690-RTTGN.jpg
33744706-buChc.jpg
I've never seen one... he maybe came to see you for your 4th birthday, checking the force is with you
It did look like that and I thought it was a snake. I will read up about it and if it's a slow worm I would leave it alone. Thanks for posting the picture as it was away before I could take a photo. It's hiding under the bush at the moment.
I think you should consider moving Summer’ if I had a hissing Sid knocking about I’d be off like a shot!

Hope this helps
allowed1 m ago

[Image]

If he looked like this it's defo not a slow worm n I am wrong!
If it looks like this, Run!!!
summerof762 m ago

It did look like that and I thought it was a snake. I will read up about …It did look like that and I thought it was a snake. I will read up about it and if it's a slow worm I would leave it alone. Thanks for posting the picture as it was away before I could take a photo. It's hiding under the bush at the moment.

That's alright, it said its often mistaken for a snake as it looks like one and not a worm. But it's actually a lizard! Weird have a read and let us know
summerof7612 m ago

Just saw something slither out of an old blanket. It's a beige and about 8 …Just saw something slither out of an old blanket. It's a beige and about 8 inches and it's smooth ..... It's hiding under the bush at the moment.

Can anyone account for the whereabouts of @deeky today?
Saturn1 m ago

Can anyone account for the whereabouts of @deeky today?

Hi
Saturn1 m ago

Knew it.

It was the beige, smooth and 8 inches that made you think of me, wasn't it?
It'll be a slow worm, got a family of about 6 in our garden under some rubber tiles.
deeky5 m ago

It was the beige, smooth and 8 inches that made you think of me, wasn't …It was the beige, smooth and 8 inches that made you think of me, wasn't it?

I refer the honourable gentleman to the quote I crafted some moments ago ....

"Just saw something slither out of an old blanket. It's a beige and about 8 inches and it's smooth ..... It's hiding under the bush at the moment."

"Can anyone account for the whereabouts of @deeky today?"
Saturn3 m ago

I refer the honourable gentleman to the quote I crafted some moments ago …I refer the honourable gentleman to the quote I crafted some moments ago ...."Just saw something slither out of an old blanket. It's a beige and about 8 inches and it's smooth ..... It's hiding under the bush at the moment.""Can anyone account for the whereabouts of @deeky today?"

Yes, I saw that. I just wondered which part in particular brought me to mind
Photo from 2011 I took of a slow worm. Hope it was anyway being that close.
33744913-713zb.jpg
The topic

Only two snakes mauve to the UK. The adder or viper is the only one that is poisonous, and that poison is little more than an irritation to a healthy adult - much like a bee sting. Grass snakes are non venomous the greatest danger is panick, that and the stink they excuse if they are threatened. So don't touch a grass snake without gloves. They grow to about 4 feet long. As a kid we used to go hunting them, just to catch and release and the glory of catching the most. Never hurting them. Only seen three adders though.
Slow worms , as has been said, are actually lizards and harmless to humans.

So enjoy it.
deeky40 m ago

Don't forget 'slow'.

I'm still thinking of @summerof76's bush hiding something 8 inches long.
mrty8 m ago

Only two snakes mauve to the UK...

We're a nation of many colours.
fanpages7 m ago

Don't forget 'slow'.I'm still thinking of @summerof76's bush hiding …Don't forget 'slow'.I'm still thinking of @summerof76's bush hiding something 8 inches long.

I was wondering if 'old blanket' was a euphemism.
fanpages10 m ago

Don't forget 'slow'.I'm still thinking of @summerof76's bush hiding …Don't forget 'slow'.I'm still thinking of @summerof76's bush hiding something 8 inches long.

33745092-Lrs7r.jpg
fanpages25 m ago

shadey1217 m ago

I was wondering if 'old blanket' was a euphemism.

A "pair of curtains", possibly, but "an old blanket" is perhaps a variation on #7:

[ mentalfloss.com/art…00s ]
fanpages5 m ago

A "pair of curtains", possibly, but "an old blanket" is perhaps a …A "pair of curtains", possibly, but "an old blanket" is perhaps a variation on #7:[ http://mentalfloss.com/article/12399/17-euphemisms-sex-1800s ]

I will never look at someone having a tiff in the same way again.
I'd also say it was a harmless slow worm. Lucky you! The only nature we get in our garden is slugs and snails! (Well, the occasional frog too)
Thanks everyone for making me laugh Never knew something so innocent would be taken as filth Good job I know what you lot are like
I thought there weren't lizards in this country for some reason

Never seen a normal lizard here. I actually wondered if they just didn't live here.

I have seen plenty in Italy in the family garden and courtyard.
hearts228 m ago

I thought there weren't lizards in this country for some reason Never …I thought there weren't lizards in this country for some reason Never seen a normal lizard here. I actually wondered if they just didn't live here.I have seen plenty in Italy in the family garden and courtyard.

I think a newt might be a lizard type thing. Been a long time since I've seen one (primary school in fact) but I remember them looking like a lizard but with frog skin.
LeahsMintytoutou37 m ago

I think a newt might be a lizard type thing. Been a long time since I've …I think a newt might be a lizard type thing. Been a long time since I've seen one (primary school in fact) but I remember them looking like a lizard but with frog skin.

33746022-qraVG.jpg
Never seen lizards like this here
EWWWWWWWWWW GROOSS
summerof761 h, 3 m ago

Thanks everyone for making me laugh Never knew something so innocent …Thanks everyone for making me laugh Never knew something so innocent would be taken as filth Good job I know what you lot are like

You started it, as usual. I suppose the wording of the OP was completely innocent?
deeky19 m ago

You started it, as usual. I suppose the wording of the OP was completely …You started it, as usual. I suppose the wording of the OP was completely innocent?

33746181-viEyQ.jpg
fanpages3 h, 43 m ago

Filth
fanpages3 h, 44 m ago

Me too
summerof761 m ago

Filth

We can surely work out issues out on this
Only you summer

Seriously though, hope it's harmless, would have scared me to death
maccy17 m ago

Only you summer Seriously though, hope it's harmless, would have …Only you summer Seriously though, hope it's harmless, would have scared me to death

I've have a big garden and it has plenty places for the slow worm to hide. I honestly thought it was a snake
Did it look like this, Summer?

33746462-ViKKQ.jpg
summerof7630 m ago

I've have a big garden and it has plenty places for the slow worm to hide. …I've have a big garden and it has plenty places for the slow worm to hide. I honestly thought it was a snake

I think biddy's found it...

Biddy225 m ago

Did it look like this, Summer? [Image]

Biddy238 m ago

Did it look like this, Summer? [Image]

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions