Just seen that they didn't each cycle the full way on the sports relief cycle ride.

26 replies
Found 24th Mar 2010
Thought the whole point was that they were going to do something difficult? Not go in relay for the full distance?

26 Comments

What does it matter? It's about raising money, not making the fundraisers suffer.

the 'point' was to raise money. If you watched the programme about the relay you could see that it wasn't easy to cycle for up to 2 hours in freezing conditions across varying terrains. Why should any of them give up their time to help others? I think it was fabulous that they put others before themselves, and I wish I had the guts and determination that they all showed.

Original Poster

deek72;8190750

What does it matter? It's about raising money, not making the fundraisers … What does it matter? It's about raising money, not making the fundraisers suffer.

It's a very different thing to claim you're going to cycle from JoG to LE and then to just hop on a bike for a few hours.

Mod & Ed

simone10;8190757

the 'point' was to raise money. If you watched the programme about the … the 'point' was to raise money. If you watched the programme about the relay you could see that it wasn't easy to cycle for up to 2 hours in freezing conditions across varying terrains. Why should any of them give up their time to help others? I think it was fabulous that they put others before themselves, and I wish I had the guts and determination that they all showed.

+1

and they had to ( except for Jimmy Carr ) give up the entire time and spend their non cycling time sleeping on a coach in cramped conditions, hats off to them all esp Miranda:thumbsup:

thought it was meant in relay ie different celebs divide the distance of the uk inbetween themselves - I don't think they were lying as they did as they said ?
But i see your point op. it's a bit of a lie if you are right they should be honest , but im sure they would of just admitted it and made ligh tof it if they couldn't .
The raised alot of money which is cool either way .

Original Poster

"They nailed it! In 82 hours, seven celebs cycled the length of the UK"

It's things like this that annoy me, they didn't cycle the length, they each cycled a small part. Very misleading.

Original Poster

denandyas;8190798

The raised alot of money which is cool either way .

Of course it is, but as a celeb with the backing of the bbc it was pretty easy for them. They'd have raised their own profiles too, so they've done well out of it.

lol benji - the quote can be taken in any context - i'm positive i saw / heard they were going to divi up the length of the route , to which that quote could still be used for -

You just heard it wrong, they made it clear from the start this is how it was happening.

Original Poster

There was some other claim about climbing the same height as everest on the first day, I'm sure that must be the total of all the climbs without taking into account that some of the ride will be downhill. Pretty obvious seeing as there isn't anywhere as high as everest in the uk!!

Original Poster

Titchimp;8190826

You just heard it wrong, they made it clear from the start this is how it … You just heard it wrong, they made it clear from the start this is how it was happening.

Yeah, you're probably right, it's just not anywhere near the achievement that I thought they were doing.

Original Poster

"The six celebrity cyclists aiming to bike the length of the country for Sport Relief have set off - and they face climbing the equivalent of Mount Everest on the first day of the challenge."

Mount Everest lol!

just adds to how impressive Eddie Izzard's challenge was

eddie izzards input for sports relief was amazing - well done for him - didn't think it was possible and surprised more people didnt join in with him like in forrest gump when he went running

Original Poster

bazzaric;8190882

Can't say I've watched it yet but I hear it was amazing.

bbc.co.uk/ipl…_1/

It's going off iplayer tomorrow so watch it soon if you get a chance!!

What is the point of this post, OP got the wrong end of the stick

bazzaric;8190882

That was truly amazing as he doesn't come across as the fittest bloke does he?

Felt a bit sorry for him on the fact that the bird off the one show raised more than him by water skiing across the channel, which whilst being difficult is hardly in the same class.

I don't think the sports relief stuff is advertised enough as I didn't know he was running or she was skiing until just before the show.

Original Poster

pipsqueak;8191022

What is the point of this post, OP got the wrong end of the stick

Yep, but the point still remains that they didn't really put in the effort that others have, read about Eddie's efforts.

I agree with ben its a joke

Benjimoron;8190801

"They nailed it! In 82 hours, seven celebs cycled the length of the … "They nailed it! In 82 hours, seven celebs cycled the length of the UK"It's things like this that annoy me, they didn't cycle the length, they each cycled a small part. Very misleading.

"theyeach cycled a small part":? yeah of course they did, did you actually watch the programme?

It's still over 10 hours of cycling each, in awful conditions sometimes, hardly easy.

It was clear from the start it was a relay

Benjimoron;8191148

Yep, but the point still remains that they didn't really put in the … Yep, but the point still remains that they didn't really put in the effort that others have, read about Eddie's efforts.

why should they all have to match each others efforts?, they raised a lot of money for charity, which can only be a good thing

souljacker;8191440

"theyeach cycled a small part":? yeah of course they did, did you … "theyeach cycled a small part":? yeah of course they did, did you actually watch the programme?It's still over 10 hours of cycling each, in awful conditions sometimes, hardly easy.It was clear from the start it was a relaywhy should they all have to match each others efforts?, they raised a lot of money for charity, which can only be a good thing

Its good they raised the money but nowhere near a difficult achievement.

10 hours over 4 days isn't really a lot.

A lot of people commute to work every day on a bicycle and can easily top that every week without having the freebie top end bikes and all the gears.

Plus am sure the celebrities did well out of it.

The one person I did admire was Eddie! :thumbsup:

Toybhoy;8191547

Its good they raised the money but nowhere near a difficult … Its good they raised the money but nowhere near a difficult achievement.10 hours over 4 days isn't really a lot. A lot of people commute to work every day on a bicycle and can easily top that every week without having the freebie top end bikes and all the gears. Plus am sure the celebrities did well out of it. The one person I did admire was Eddie! :thumbsup:

probably not difficult for people who commute every day but some of these have never been on a bike, yes it's not up there with eddie izzard, that guy is a legend for doing that and didn't get the recognition he deserved, the programme should have been on bbc1 not pushed onto bbc3 where not many people would have seen it.

not really sure what you mena by "am sure the celebrities did well out of it":thinking:

Banned

I take it that Benji will being doing the whole route himself for the next Sport relief.....I look forward to it....you show them how it's done.

I have to say I wouldn't fancy cycling at -15 in pitch black on an icy road with a bike designed for normal conditions nor having limited rest between runs either. I wonder how many of those dismissing the effort will be cycling the entire length of the UK themselves in the same time?

John

Original Poster

slamdunkin;8191618

I take it that Benji will being doing the whole route himself for the … I take it that Benji will being doing the whole route himself for the next Sport relief.....I look forward to it....you show them how it's done.

That's a very good point, although I don't have anything much to gain out of the publicity whereas the celebrities do. Also I would struggle to raise a thousand pounds whereas they've got the publicity of the BBC and their teams behind them to make it much easier to raise a million pounds.

bazzaric;8190882

+1 An amazing effort and he should be commended for it!

I saw him when he cycled past the shop I was working in The trike thing in front with the camera etc.

Didn't realise until 30 seconds later though

Looking at him, he looks like the first marathon should have killed him, but SERIOUS props to him. I couldn't have ran half a single marathon let alone over 40 over the space of what, 50 days?

Mental!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery2685
    2. Add one, leave one game54415416
    3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)70561
    4. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861868

See more discussions