just some advice for anyone who Pays in currency via paypal

Posted 10th Jan
I buy stuff In Euros fairly often and was offered a paypal exchange rate of £21.20 for my purchase on Monday.

I declined and paid in euros with my Halifax Clarity card (on paypal)
I've just checked and paypal transaction is only £20.01

I'd avoid accepting paypal exchange rate as they clearly make a decent profit on the FX
Community Updates
Buying From Abroad
4 Comments
That's always the case with Clarity and similar cards. Probably worth accepting Paypal's conversion if you were using a debit card, the banks add all sorts of fees and charges when you pay in a foreign currency.
Only for MC and Visa the ridiculous conversion offers come up. You can switch this off in the profile:
roman-reviews.com/how…es/
Edited by: "Buckyball" 10th Jan
Ive set my starling card to pay in local currency.
Buckyball10/01/2020 09:14

Only for MC and Visa the ridiculous conversion offers come up. You can …Only for MC and Visa the ridiculous conversion offers come up. You can switch this off in the profile:https://www.roman-reviews.com/how-disable-paypal-currency-conversion-save-money-fees/

From the page you've linked:

Update, 2020-01: Paypal has removed the option to disable currency conversion. For a while, a direct link to the option still worked, even though the path to it had been removed. Now, even the direct link does not work anymore. There does not seem to be an alternative way of turning it off. Dick move, Paypal.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants