Just started watching Band of Brothers

Found 8th Feb 2009
I've just watched the first 2 episodes of Band of Brothers on Blu Ray (courtesy of my 3 month LoveFilm trial frm here!!). I'd heard good things about it so I thought I'd have a look.
It's one of the best things I've seen in a long long time.
For anyone who doesn't know it's a 2001 Tv mini series directed by Spielberg and Tom Hanks. It's about a group of American soldiers in the war but I won't say any more. All I'll say is that it's absolute quality, the acting and effects are remarkable for a tv series, the influence of Spielberg and Hanks is all too apparrent.
If you haven't seen it I'd recommend that you do.

16 Comments

I loved this series. Watched it on 'TV On Demand' on Virgin. Got about halfway through and then for some reason they removed the whole series. But what i saw was brilliant. Quite alot of english actors playing american roles, not sure why.

It keeps on getting better and better.

I got the boxset for xmas, brill.

You've never seen Band of Brothers?

You going to love the later episodes. I thought (and still do) it is the best WW2 thing out. Purely because its based on true events with true characters. Its quite moving to see the veterans giving interviews.

Dick (Richard incase the swearing filter kicks in) Winters truly is a very remarkable man!

Have fun with the rest of the episodes

no I completely missed the series when it was on TV and just havnt got around to buying the dvds.. Will do soon though. I might have gotten further than halfway. The last one I remember was the one in the winter where the two sides are in trenches in the forest singing at christmas. Brilliant episode

Original Poster

Meadsy4742;4325579

You've never seen Band of Brothers? :|You going to love the later … You've never seen Band of Brothers? :|You going to love the later episodes. I thought (and still do) it is the best WW2 thing out. Purely because its based on true events with true characters. Its quite moving to see the veterans giving interviews.Dick (Richard incase the swearing filter kicks in) Winters truly is a very remarkable man!Have fun with the rest of the episodes

Nope, only heard of it recently (I must lead a sheltered life!) but if you say it gets better then I can't wait. I've got the next disc with 3 and 4 already here for tomorrow!

manchesterjim;4325600

no I completely missed the series when it was on TV and just havnt got … no I completely missed the series when it was on TV and just havnt got around to buying the dvds.. Will do soon though. I might have gotten further than halfway. The last one I remember was the one in the winter where the two sides are in trenches in the forest singing at christmas. Brilliant episode

That'll be Bastogne. One of my favouite episodes.:thumbsup:

Watched it when it was on TV and bought myself a 1st edition boxset tin as soon as it came out on DVD. This is up there with Saving Private Ryan in my books.
Brilliant acting, one of the best things to have ever graced the tv screens. Shame it never made it out on HD-DVD in this country (Japan only), going to have to get it on BluRay when get a player though.

Original Poster

Bigred01;4325652

Buy it now - … Buy it now - http://hmv.com/hmvweb/advancedSearch.do?searchType=2&pGroupID=5&artist=&title=&catalogue=D025152&primaryID=5&affiliate=td&lpgrp=network&tduid=e974a174602dc4c249b987e61b818a72

That looks a steal! May have a bit of that myself.
£34 on Blu Ray at same place. :thumbsup:

I got myself the bluray set of this, wonderful series. Some harrowing moments to say the least.

That episode 2 'Day of Days' is incredible with all the close quarters trench-warfare.

Wait till you see the snow episode 'Bastogne'(around episode 6) - amazing, the most filmic television mini-series I've ever witnessed.

is it worth it on blu ray? If i get it its probably going to be on blu ray but dont want to waste my money.

Original Poster

manchesterjim;4325854

is it worth it on blu ray? If i get it its probably going to be on blu … is it worth it on blu ray? If i get it its probably going to be on blu ray but dont want to waste my money.

Well that's for you to decide really. I mean, dvd was perfectly adequate for years wasn't it?

They are making a new thing, similar but in the pacific theatre

manchesterjim;4325854

is it worth it on blu ray? If i get it its probably going to be on blu … is it worth it on blu ray? If i get it its probably going to be on blu ray but dont want to waste my money.

It's hard for me to judge - I watch my blurays on a 32" sony bravia so I might be missing out on some of the clarity I guess.

The Bluray set has exclusive features tho, new exclusive documentary and in-picture commentaries/features aswell. Also slightly better audio.

I'd go Blu personally.

my dad watches this all the time. My mum hid the surround sound cables at one point because of it.

Amazing to realise that Band of Brothers was filmed in the UK!!

The French, Belgian and Dutch "towns" and other sets were built at Hatfield Aerodrome in Hertfordshire. (Saving Private Ryan was also filmed there.)

Those astonishingly realistic scenes of the snow covered, bitterly cold Ardennes forest in the "Bastogne" episode were actually filmed INDOORS, in a massive hangar!

I understand that Spielberg / Hanks casted relatively unknown (at that time) British actors because they didn't want audiences to 'identify' with the characters, as would have happened had they casted well known actors.

Completely agree that this is an excellent series.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56527
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle45
    3. Free flights to Europe712
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)44

See more discussions