Just watched Independence Day Resurgence....

Found 26th Aug 2017
Just finished watching the film and it's not the train wreck I was lead to believe. The film isn't amazing by any means but why do everyone hate it so much as it's no worse than the 1st film. What did people expect of this kind of film ?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
The first film is a classic which, for the first time, merged incredible modern-era special effects into a sci-fi disaster movie. It was had moments of comedy, moments of drama and genuine terror (honestly, who didn't sht themselves when Brent Spiner was thrown against the glass by the alien, who then spoke through him and revealed their apocalyptic plan to the president?), and some seriously inspirational moments, including that "we will not go quietly..." speech. The characters were great (Goldblum and Smith in particular were at their absolute peak in this film), and it altogether worked as a wholly satisfying and enjoyable summer blockbuster.

The sequel, well, what can you say that's positive? That some of the old crew came back? It was rubbish - just a dull, uninspiring, derivative product. And it didn't even have Randy Quaid.
Its terrible! The first one is a masterpiece in comparison!
Edited by: "cdm22" 26th Aug 2017
kester7647 m ago

I only paid £2 for it as a 2 for £10 deal.

How does that work then? Guess the other film in the deal must be £8
28 Comments
Pretty much what I thought really
they are both 'B' films what do people expect ?
Its terrible! The first one is a masterpiece in comparison!
Edited by: "cdm22" 26th Aug 2017
I only paid £2 for it as a 2 for £10 deal. I guess if I paid a lot to see it my opinion might be a little more coloured
caverncity53 m ago

Best edit your reply

What happened to the swear filter on here? Has that gone too in the update?!
kester7647 m ago

I only paid £2 for it as a 2 for £10 deal.

cdm2218 m ago

What happened to the swear filter on here? Has that gone too in the …What happened to the swear filter on here? Has that gone too in the update?!

swearing is sort of decriminalised now
The first film is a classic which, for the first time, merged incredible modern-era special effects into a sci-fi disaster movie. It was had moments of comedy, moments of drama and genuine terror (honestly, who didn't sht themselves when Brent Spiner was thrown against the glass by the alien, who then spoke through him and revealed their apocalyptic plan to the president?), and some seriously inspirational moments, including that "we will not go quietly..." speech. The characters were great (Goldblum and Smith in particular were at their absolute peak in this film), and it altogether worked as a wholly satisfying and enjoyable summer blockbuster.

The sequel, well, what can you say that's positive? That some of the old crew came back? It was rubbish - just a dull, uninspiring, derivative product. And it didn't even have Randy Quaid.
I rather enjoyed the sequel.
It was ok. But I hate pointless countdowns.
Most sequels don't live up to the original
barriey7 h, 47 m ago

Yeah other film was x-men apocalypse so I didn't feel so bad paying for that.
dxx6 h, 56 m ago

The first film is a classic which, for the first time, merged incredible …The first film is a classic which, for the first time, merged incredible modern-era special effects into a sci-fi disaster movie. It was had moments of comedy, moments of drama and genuine terror (honestly, who didn't sht themselves when Brent Spiner was thrown against the glass by the alien, who then spoke through him and revealed their apocalyptic plan to the president?), and some seriously inspirational moments, including that "we will not go quietly..." speech. The characters were great (Goldblum and Smith in particular were at their absolute peak in this film), and it altogether worked as a wholly satisfying and enjoyable summer blockbuster. The sequel, well, what can you say that's positive? That some of the old crew came back? It was rubbish - just a dull, uninspiring, derivative product. And it didn't even have Randy Quaid.

It was ok but I it's more nostalgic for you. I guess it's more of a 90s film than the more gritty modern themed films.
Horses for courses... It was a chance to revisit the old comedy team that was successful in the first film.
The first film had to be seen in the cinema to appreciate it. The wall of sound that hit you when the Whitehouse exploded...absolutely brilliant!!
Edited by: "mrty" 27th Aug 2017
deleted1431257
kester764 h, 31 m ago

Yeah other film was x-men apocalypse so I didn't feel so bad paying for …Yeah other film was x-men apocalypse so I didn't feel so bad paying for that.

So, two frisbees for £10?
mrty3 h, 8 m ago

Horses for courses... It was a chance to revisit the old comedy team that …Horses for courses... It was a chance to revisit the old comedy team that was successful in the first film. The first film had to be seen in the cinema to appreciate it. The wall of sound that hit you when the Whitehouse exploded...absolutely brilliant!!

Totally agree, got the chance to see the first at the cinema and it was brilliant
hass1231 h, 35 m ago

So, two frisbees for £10?

Nah, the x-men films have been pretty good so far so they would have to mess up big time for it too be that bad
I definitely watched it probably about 6 months to a year ago and now can't remember anything that happened or what I thought of it.

I guess that means it wasn't very good.
Looks like 2 made enough to get 3 into prep.
Agreed, not a total train wreck.
More of a train derailment whilst pulling out of the station slowly and inconveniencing all the passages.
Plus, those passengers aren't given any updates about when it will be fixed.
Then the passengers are given drinks of tea, which are too cold and has too much milk and sugar... type of a movie
Edited by: "Derek_Horatio_Shatwell" 27th Aug 2017
I think it depends on what your expectations for a film are, Independence day 2 wasn't too bad as I didn't expect much but Force Awakens was a bit of a joke for me with the opposite for Rogue one. It seems no one can say a bad thing about Force Awakens because all the 20-30 year olds think anything Star wars is untouchable and all the good Star wars film have a deathstar in them
kester7621 h, 46 m ago

I only paid £2 for it as a 2 for £10 deal. I guess if I paid a lot to see i …I only paid £2 for it as a 2 for £10 deal. I guess if I paid a lot to see it my opinion might be a little more coloured

You were ripped off!
Graham197932 m ago

You were ripped off!

Not really, some of the turkeys I rented back on VHS would put these to shame and we were paying about £1.50 to £3 for those
kester7628 m ago

Not really, some of the turkeys I rented back on VHS would put these to …Not really, some of the turkeys I rented back on VHS would put these to shame and we were paying about £1.50 to £3 for those

So you watched the original film when it first came out on VHS then ?
Shatwell4 h, 44 m ago

Agreed, not a total train wreck.More of a train derailment whilst pulling …Agreed, not a total train wreck.More of a train derailment whilst pulling out of the station slowly and inconveniencing all the passages.Plus, those passengers aren't given any updates about when it will be fixed.Then the passengers are given drinks of tea, which are too cold and has too much milk and sugar... type of a movie

In this analogy, does the sugar turn out to be salt?
Destard38 m ago

In this analogy, does the sugar turn out to be salt?

No, that would be just ridiculous
All my train based movie analogies have the ridiculous level set at 0 to 2, out of 10
Wongy1101 h, 22 m ago

So you watched the original film when it first came out on VHS then ?

No I saw it at the cinema, I meant some of the late 80s early 90s B-movies
True story ?
kester7627th Aug

I think it depends on what your expectations for a film are, Independence …I think it depends on what your expectations for a film are, Independence day 2 wasn't too bad as I didn't expect much but Force Awakens was a bit of a joke for me with the opposite for Rogue one. It seems no one can say a bad thing about Force Awakens because all the 20-30 year olds think anything Star wars is untouchable and all the good Star wars film have a deathstar in them

I found rogue one superior that FA. FA just felt like a retelling of EP4 whereas RO felt fresh.

like others I watch indie day in the cinemas and yeah, it was good enough for me to still remember it. the sequel was ok. had decent bits in and as a general sci-fi flick it was average. but sometimes that's all I want in a movie, just a movie with lots of stuff going without me caring that don't make sense
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants