Just went to Autotrader website and the postcode field was already filled. Did someone hack my internet?

Found 29th Dec 2015
Usually the postcode field is empty, and I have used it before with my postcode. I have no idea why it automatically had a postcode in Derby 200 miles away.
Community Updates
AskWeb Hosting
8 Comments
Your pc and website stores various data from your searches etc, will just be the cookies etc, if your concerned run a virus and malware scanner and clear your cookies
Have you been hacked? X) X) X) X) X) X)
Original Poster
westy125

Your pc and website stores various data from your searches etc, will … Your pc and website stores various data from your searches etc, will just be the cookies etc, if your concerned run a virus and malware scanner and clear your cookies

That's what I'm thinking but I've never seen/used that postcode before in my life. Very weird.
Location services might be on... no need to worry
If you have some fields saved in Chrome for example, it'll enter it automatically or as above it'll use location service.

It's probably a good time for you to install ublock add-on so sites can't track you and block all those ads on every site
Original Poster
kiish

If you have some fields saved in Chrome for example, it'll enter it … If you have some fields saved in Chrome for example, it'll enter it automatically or as above it'll use location service.It's probably a good time for you to install ublock add-on so sites can't track you and block all those ads on every site

Hmm Idk, just did a clean install on my laptop 3 weeks ago after getting a samsung ssd. Location is off and I'm in kent. The postcode is in Derby 200 miles away. I hope it's something on Autotraders end and it was a glitch. Might try the addon you mentioned.
TheShadowWalker

Hmm Idk, just did a clean install on my laptop 3 weeks ago after getting … Hmm Idk, just did a clean install on my laptop 3 weeks ago after getting a samsung ssd. Location is off and I'm in kent. The postcode is in Derby 200 miles away. I hope it's something on Autotraders end and it was a glitch. Might try the addon you mentioned.

Websites all ask your browser for a basic info file, this logs things like OS,Browser type, Langugage, IP address,PC date and time (This is an exploit that some use to tell you using VPN software if timezones don't match) etc so they can tailor webpage to screen resolution etc. You IP address also gives abit of a geographic location but by bit if you look mine up as an example it shows in the middle of Belfast, 18 miles from where I live.
ip-tracker.org/loc…php
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 29th Dec 2015
cookies my friend
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants